KT17 or a Magnum Engine

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
IH4Ever
First and Last Name: Jeff Richardson

KT17 or a Magnum Engine

Post by IH4Ever »

I have an IH built 782 that the KT17 Series II had a rod knocking. The rod never went through the engine block. I also have a Magnum 19? engine that I know nothing about and also another Series II KT17 that runs like a champ. So my question to you all is which engine is better, the KT17 series II or the Magnum? What are you opinions. :?: It will be going into my IH built 782. I suspect that the original engine has been MIA for a while. I thought that the series I were in the IH build units. Perhaps my history is a little weak on that subject.
Loving IH for over a decade.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Re: KT17 or a Magnum Engine

Post by VScott »

Nothing wrong with a good KT17 series two. Most of the people who complain about them have never had one. Don't think they ever made a magnum 19, should be 18 or 20 hp. Either way that you decide to go, just make sure the crankshaft on the pto end is the same size, or you will need the pto from the engine that you are using. Start the magnum up on the ground and see how it sounds. There is good resale price to whichever engine you don't use, so it becomes a choice between points (kt), and electronic ignition(magnum). You will have to change some wiring to run the magnum engine, but it's an easy conversion. From my experience, the governor is the achilles heel on any of the opposed flat twin Kohlers. Also, put a fuel shutoff valve between the tank and pump, and shut off the fuel whenever you store the tractor, the diaphragm in those pumps will leak fuel into the crankcase and cause all kinds of havoc. Hope my opinions help.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Jeff
I have one red IH 782 that has a KT 17 series I that I have torn completely down and I'm in the process of restoring. I plan on putting the good running series I back in it after i get it painted . I have another red IH 782 that I'm going to install a rebuilt Magnum 18 into .
A while back I sold a early red CC 682 that I had converted into a hydrolift 782 and it has a KT17 series II in it that had 1600 hours on it , but still ran strong . I sold to a fellow CCC member who loves it , and I seen him with it at a plowday this past fall .

I don't think you can go wrong with either a KT17 series II or Magnum 18 or a 20 if you find one reasonable. All are fine engines .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

None of the IH tractors came with series II engines. Only the very late red CCC tractors had them. Either the series II or the Magnum are good engines. There are two different versions of the series II. The late ones had provision to add an oil filter.
If the magneto goes bad on a Magnum, you have to remove the engine to replace it. The KT has point ignition and can be repaired with the engine in the tractor. But the points need attention more often. So it is a trade off.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

IH4Ever

Post by IH4Ever »

Thank you for all of your opinions. It must be the 18, I couldn't remember for sure what it was. The Magnum 18 is in an 1862 that I got a while back for the hydraulic steering and the engine. I was told the engine was ok and that the transmission was shot. Anyway, I am always considering more power as the only option so the 18 sounded better. I like the electronic ignition but if memory serves Kirk Engineering sells completely electronic ignitions for the K-series and I thought the last time I was on there they had one for the KT series. I will have to check... I have to say that I have been thinking about putting the hydraulic steering and the super steering from the 1862 into my 782... Hmmm. 8-)

And thanks Todd, I remembered that. The series I if I remember correctly had oil issues that if the operator was not diligent on keeping the oil level high enough the one cylinder would starve for oil and then blow... Not good. Those engines are not the most inexpensive things around. :lol:

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The series I only had pressure lube to the mains and not the rods. The rods were splash lubed. If the oil level was low, and/or the operator was mowing on hills, the rods could be starved for oil. There are probably a lot of them still running out there. No matter what, with all these opposed engines, it is a good idea to be religious about checking the oil level.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

IH4Ever

Post by IH4Ever »

http://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#CompanyHistory

Yep, he has an electronic ignition module for the KT and Magnum engines. He does great work too!