Sickle bar mower

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chearn
First and Last Name: Carl Hearn

Sickle bar mower

Post by chearn »

Stumbled into this at a pawn shop the other day (no joke, the pawn shop is like a salvage yard and inside there is a path you follow and if you run into someone coming the other way one of you has to back up). I did some horse trading and came home with it.
resized_IMG_0541.jpg
There is no manufacturer's logo on it anywhere and it is missing some pieces but there is a tag riveted to it:
G11-33056A
145D

Is this a Haban or were there others that made these? I was told it was on a cub cadet but i have my doubts.

Thanks guys!
"Told her you were leaving - to go tractor pulling" - Unsmooth Moments!

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Sickle bar mower

Post by ksanders »

About everything on it sure looks like my haban 402-E (bar, chain tensioner, etc) but built for another brand. Has different pulley and front hangers for starters. Being white like it is maybe sears or bolens? It can be adapted with a little work but still nice to have that much of a sickle mower to start with or use for some project or even as trade value. At the very least make a bar to go back to the drawbar and see if it'll mount up. Might get lucky.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

The heads on the Haban units are all pretty much the same. You posted this on the Haban group as well, said it was missing a few pieces.
Haban 8916 Knife Head Assy and Components.pdf
(526.34 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
is the piece that drives the sickle and attaches to the pitman arm.

This is a sketch up drawing of the front mount for a 402 D/E to fit a Cub Cadet. Should give you the dimensions to tell if that mount would fit the axle at least.
Change the .pdf to .skp to make it work.
Haban 402 DE axle brkt. - .pdf
(252.45 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

chearn
First and Last Name: Carl Hearn

Post by chearn »

Thanks to all who have replied with info. I have found out that it was made by Haban for a Gilson (also montgomery ward). Most all of it is the same from what I can tell, with the only different parts being the smaller front pulley and the front axle mount that I may or may not be able to work.

Steve, why dont you convert that to a .pdf and then anyone can open it? I had to download a viewer to open it.
"Told her you were leaving - to go tractor pulling" - Unsmooth Moments!

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

That is not something that you can convert to pdf. and come close to what sketch-up does. If you install sketch-up you will find that you can rotate it any direction, pull any dimension out using the dimension tool and much more. For instance I have a new shop in mind. I drew it up in sketch-up and can walk inside it and look around, change the colors, textures, flooring and anything else without spending a dime. I added some items in like lighting, scaled drawings of a two post lift, couple of trucks, tool boxes and more and can print out actual prints for the shop if I wish. It is an amazing program and it's free. Works great to draw up plans or to give a visual of a part in 3D instead of just on paper.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."