Adding ext. disc brakes to int. wet brake

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Adding ext. disc brakes to int. wet brake

Post by PTWannaHave »

Hello all,

I am rebuilding a 122 tranny, which has an internal wet brake. I also have a dead rear-end of a 147 with the external disc brake setup. So, I'm thinking, why not add ext. brakes to my 122 tranny?! (Might be cool, even if only for show value...)

Several questions come to mind:

1. It appears that ext. brakes are always an addition to an int. brake... Correct?
2. With so many models only having an int. brake, what is the actual benefit of adding ext. brakes? (Non-pulling context)
3. Is it a pain to 'sync' the ext. brakes with the int. one (so that they are working well together)?
4. Are ext. brake pads available?!
5. Should the int. brake become useless, are the ext. brakes enough to completely compensate?
6. What pushes the int. brake 'piston' back out?
7. Are there known disadvantages to ext. brakes?

Thanks for your insight!
PTWannaHave

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: Adding ext. disc brakes to int. wet brake

Post by Dave C »

1. It appears that ext. brakes are always an addition to an int. brake... Correct?Incorrect it was one or the other... they bounced back and forth several times through the years.
2. With so many models only having an int. brake, what is the actual benefit of adding ext. brakes? (Non-pulling context)The one slight issure with the internal brake is it brakes the pinion... if one tire were to hit ice going down a hill... or mud. with the brake applied that tire could spin backwards while the other on hard ground actually starts spinning faster! thats the spider gears in the diff hard at work! with the external brakes its postive braking like in a car if they are properly adjusted.
3. Is it a pain to 'sync' the ext. brakes with the int. one (so that they are working well together)?not sure anyone has ever done this!
4. Are ext. brake pads available?!I think so but they are pricy and there are at least 3 different styles
5. Should the int. brake become useless, are the ext. brakes enough to completely compensate?
6. What pushes the int. brake 'piston' back out?Just the spinning of the disc... just like a rotor of a vehicle
7. Are there known disadvantages to ext. brakesThe downside to external brakes is you cant have inside wheel weights.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Pt
I guess it's an opinion but if given the option I would always chose internal wet brakes over the external ones. Ive only adjusted the wet ones a few times by the dry ones are always out of adjustment. Most of the time so far out that they cannot be adjusted, even with lots of pad left. Both kinds of bakes would be really cool!!!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

You could leave the internal brake connected to the clutch pedal as stock. That would function as your parking brake and general stopping. Then connect the external brakes to seperate pedals to give steering brakes.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

Thanks for the feedback, esp. to Dave for answering my list of questions! :)

This sub-project is lower on the priorities list, and may not even be contemplated if ext. brake pads are unobtainable... At least now I'm in the know!
PTWannaHave

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Some guys have successfully relined the external brake pads using lining and adhesive from McMaster-Carr. If you are adding them, I would use rotors and calipers from an 82 series with an aluminum rearend. These should be easier to find and cheaper to get pads for than the ones from the earlier models.

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

bcuster wrote:Todd, somewhere I heard someone say that Chevy S-10 brake pads are the same size?? :dontknow: I've never owned an S-10 so I wouldn't know.
Wouldn't that be a hoot...!
PTWannaHave

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I remember someone on the old site did something like that. As I recall, they bought a set of riveted S10 pads and drilled out the rivets then riveted the lining to the Cub Cadet backing plates.
I don't think they were necessarily the exact same size and shape, but were close enough and they were cheap since these pads were pretty common.