new throw out bearing

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jim h
First and Last Name: Jim Harrington

new throw out bearing

Post by jim h »

I need a new throw out bearing for my 126. I was wondering if anyone knows if Napa or tractor supply has something that would work. If not I'll order one, but I was looking to save some pennies if someone has used something with good luck
Thanks

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: new throw out bearing

Post by Farmallgray »

You and everyone else. Cub Cadet has an exclusive contract on that bearing with the manufacturer.

Some guys have found a substitute angular contact bearing and made it work, but it isn't a true thrust bearing. I haven't heard any reports on how long they will last though. I'm trying one in my son's puller, but I'm still in the building phase of it.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

While I shall continue to use the genuine part I personally don't define it as a true thrust bearing. It is actually nothing more than a ball bearing with an extended length inner race with a circular stamped steel thrust plate that is pressed and crimped over the bearings outer race on the fork face side. That stamped plate does not make truce face contact with the bearing balls held within, rather it clamps to the bearings outer race only. An automotive style throw out bearing uses a face race that directly accepts load against the rotating balls.
I have been looking for something better for years pouring through bearing books and have yet to come across a true thrust bearing that could be used as a direct replacement however ones that could possibly apply came in at more costly than the factory part and required some modification.
The factory bearing will provide years of faithful service used under stock application.

jim h
First and Last Name: Jim Harrington

Post by jim h »

I'll stick with stock then. Just thought if there was something a little cheaper that worked I could pick it up this week. I'll have to wait until next week when I can get to the dealer then. Thanks guys

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I found an aftermarket 1 a while back. It was exact except the inner race was a little longer. I think it's the same 1 that is being sold on flee bay with a clutch disc. I think it was only like 12 or 15 dollars. I'll see if I can find the part #.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Rich has some at a good price
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

The substitute bearing I was talking about is SKF 204RY2.

Ken, Have you even taken a stock one apart? Anyone else? I'd like to see what they look like. I often thought the shell was a seperate part. But I had thought they were a true thrust bearing.

mmzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I have. I think there was something different of the load side of the race. I think it was more cupped. The 1 I got from the bearing supply was almost exact except for the outer case that Todd mentioned and the inner race was a little longer. I have used it and it works good. I just sold the tractor so I dont know how long it would last.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I had one apart once thanks to an 800 pound clutch spring. They don't hold up for very long under those pressures. One guy told me to expect five hours run time.
There's got to be a way to build a better mouse trap and really why anyone from the pullers suppliers can't come forward with one I don't know why other than cost limitations.
My thinking in the past has been there's got to be some way a bearing like this could be fitted with a shrink fitted three stepped sleeve that would act as both a pressure face and a pilot.
1.2.5.12_ACTBB_Ball_Screw_rgb_rdax_95.jpg
1.2.5.12_ACTBB_Ball_Screw_rgb_rdax_95.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 6132 times
The problem being is a bearing like this can cost a hundred bucks

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Ill ask some of my pulling friends up in charlotte what they are using. They have mutable tractors with the red and yellow springs and have no problems.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I have done the trick of drilling a small hole in the dust shield, cleaning them out, then injecting new grease in and sealing the hole with RTV. I have been running one of these on my diesel
puller for several years now. It is one of the older style though.

mmzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I've done what Todd did several times. Worked good.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Seems to me somewhere along the line I noticed two styles, so then the older ones were more rugged?
Ditto on the needle injection trick, the one on my 102 has been holding up great going on five years now and that one sees a whole lot of backing up to push snow.
After over 30 years the grease inside them turns into clay.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
I can't really say one is better than the other. I just figured that like everything else, they don't make them like they used to. But on the other hand, an older one has more chance of being worn out.