Doing the Flip ..

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Doing the Flip ..

Post by J Hayes »

OK got a Kohler 17 Mag engine to make into a horizontal engine to replace the Kt series II that has blown in the 782.

Does anyone know how to plug the place where the Dipstick is on the 17 mag ?
I cannot seem to be able to pull the tube out even after removing the smaller Allen plug ...Is it maybe threaded ??

Also do I need to change the front of the now horizontal Mag 17 ??
Attachments
just above the oil filter is an allan plug ..Looks to me it may be where the smaller dipstick should go ??? or is that for a gauge ?? Also is there any tricks to remove the dipstick tube before I go busting something   I have removed the bolt on the engine shroud .. I also took out that littls set screw on the side , just back from the drain plug ..
just above the oil filter is an allan plug ..Looks to me it may be where the smaller dipstick should go ??? or is that for a gauge ?? Also is there any tricks to remove the dipstick tube before I go busting something I have removed the bolt on the engine shroud .. I also took out that littls set screw on the side , just back from the drain plug ..
The series II engine has a little different look to it the dipstick is pretty long and I don't see a place on the mag that low on the block.
The series II engine has a little different look to it the dipstick is pretty long and I don't see a place on the mag that low on the block.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

GDHeydt
First and Last Name: George D Heydt

Re: Doing the Flip ..

Post by GDHeydt »

Jim I converted one this winter. My block had holes in it so I cut a grove with cut off tool where tube goes into block & expanded with small chisel. I drilled new block tube & drove in. There is also oil pick up tube to change inside, you will need to drill block for passage.
George

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Thank you George ! Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it , ya handed me a box of rocks !!
I can see using a cutoff wheel to cut casting on the larger dipstick tube ,, The what do you use for the plug ?
, Is it threaded inside below tube ?

I hope you don't mean I have to split the block for that pickup tube ??? If I do I'm running my horse this summer.

I can understand possibly drilling block for smaller dipstick ,, but very much afraid to drill through the oil pump.

Maybe I should just leave it alone ??

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Hey Big Jim,
Glad to see you up and about out in the Den. I'm no help on this project cause I've never done the flip, but I'm willing to pay attention while you wade through it :D
I know other guys have done it so don't give up, ya can teach the rest of us :idea:
Are you going this weekend?
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

GDHeydt
First and Last Name: George D Heydt

Post by GDHeydt »

Jim This is not as easy as tipping the eng up, now the oil pan is on the side in eng cover. To get this to work in a 782 the crank needs to be turned, drilled & cut off. I stripped block to do the conversion. You will need a donor eng for some parts.
George.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

OK Thanks George ,,,
I bit off more than I can chew..I was under the impression it was easy to do ..I have no means of being able to pay machine shop prices,so I guess I'm done until I can find a drop in replacement .

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

George :email:

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

There's a couple'a guys around here that have lathes... ;)
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

anyone have a pic of a 17 series II with the air cleaner removed from the top ? showing manifolds and throttle / gov hook up??