1200 oil leak

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Fwatson
First and Last Name: Frank Watson

1200 oil leak

Post by Fwatson »

I was cutting grass yesterday. The 1200 was running fine. It all of sudden the engine revved up more that what it was set on the throttle control. I throttled it back down and finished cutting the grass. I noticed when I pulled it into the shed it had started leaking oil. It was still running fine. What could have cause the engine to reeve up? I have not looked at it yet. but the oil leak is on the front.
{:-{)
Fwatson
From Southeastern Va.

Grant
First and Last Name: Grant Braddish

Re: 1200 oil leak

Post by Grant »

Check your governor shaft & link arm. Make sure the clamping bolt is tight and the governor shaft is properly adjuster (per the manual). If your breather is clogged, it could be that the brass bushing is leaking oil and caused the shaft to spin loose.

I'm actually working on a similar problem (for a long while now) and am down to this as the problable cause.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Frank,last fall I was picking leaves with the 125/EZ Rake and going down a slight grade the RPM took OFF :shock: .I quickly shut the 125 down and looked for the obvious.....yup,the cotter pin that hooked the governor arm to the carb shaft fell out.
Check the obvious first and if all looks fine start it up and work the governor arm by hand to feel for pressure.If there is pressure you may have an adjustment to make or something else.If no pressure you have a complete tear down in your future.

Fwatson
First and Last Name: Frank Watson

Post by Fwatson »

Grant wrote:Check your governor shaft & link arm. Make sure the clamping bolt is tight and the governor shaft is properly adjuster (per the manual). If your breather is clogged, it could be that the brass bushing is leaking oil and caused the shaft to spin loose.

I'm actually working on a similar problem (for a long while now) and am down to this as the problable cause.
Quote from Big Mike> Check the obvious first and if all looks fine start it up and work the governor arm by hand to feel for pressure.If there is pressure you may have an adjustment to make or something else.If no pressure you have a complete tear down in your future.

Trouble shooting my 1200 today and I found that the Governor Shaft Brass Bushing had backed out and the Governor shaft was lose. :cry:
Can this repair done with out a complete tear down :?:
{:-{)
Fwatson
From Southeastern Va.