Dang Kohler

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Dang Kohler

Post by Scott C. »

Gheeze, the old loader has been getting harder to start and Instead of draining the battery I decided to look at the plug.

A little crust and the Kohler doesn't want to start! What's this stuff coming to?

Had to put a new plug in (well, one I found in the toolbox), at this rate I'll have to replace it in ten years....
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
Had to put him to work after that.
IMG_1585.JPG
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Dang Kohler

Post by Jlaws »

Ohh Man , you have to do occasional maintance on a Kohler?? whats the world coming to ... :lol:
By the looks of the rust on the outside and the carbon on the inside , I would say you got the absolute maximum life out of that Autolite plug .
But hey I'm pretty much the same way , I don't every look at the plug as long as it starts and runs fine.... :beer:

Scott by the looks of the amount of carbon on that plug , you may have to decarbon the head in the near future .
I once had a big piece of carbon break off and wedged itself in the exhaust valve seat , shutting down the engine .
I actually was relieve when I pulled the head and seen what the problem was , as I figured it might have been something major wrong with the engine .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Jess,
De-carbon?
Heck, I'm gonna have to call in the EPA when I clean this head.
It burns a 1/4 qt. of oil to every tank of gas.
I'd call it sludge, or residue..... :lol:

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

Hey Scott call me sometime have something to run by you 717 587 3727

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Scott , I can see you in a hazmat suit when you rebuild that engine . :D
I remember that it had some smoking issues about 7 years ago when we went to possum lodge , and that was before Tony and Randy put about a 1/2 cup of oil down the exhaust stack ...LOL ...ahh the good old days .... :lol:
Its hard to believe its still running , I know that engine has a lot of hours on it .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

and think of all the hours Scott has on him :lol:

nitrobandit
First and Last Name: Chauncey Faulconer

Post by nitrobandit »

Scott C. wrote:Jess,
De-carbon?
Heck, I'm gonna have to call in the EPA when I clean this head.
It burns a 1/4 qt. of oil to every tank of gas.
I'd call it sludge, or residue..... :lol:
If you never want to see that again buy yourself a can of BG44K from a local car dealer. This stuff is the best decarbonizer in the world and all you have to do is use 5 ounces to 5 gallons of gas, that's it. I keep a 5 gallon jug of gas ready for use, but at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season I run this product through the engine and I have NEVER had to decarbon an engine, pulled a head once just to check but didn't have to decarb.

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Ray,

It was good to talk to you, been too long.

I am going to swap the engine out of the loader. I bought it off Rich Patton in 2001 or maybe 2000. It was out of an old 122 and smoked then.

At this point, I don't even change the oil, it's always fresh!

Don't know what I'll do with the old engine, maybe a respectful burial in the field, pour some Hytran or MMO over it.

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

BigMike wrote:and think of all the hours Scott has on him :lol:
Yeah.....I would imagine his plug is about carboned up by now too! Lol.

Geez dude.....why throw that plug away?.....clean it up, weld up the electrode, good as new!.