Electrical

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
redneckarchery
First and Last Name: Mat Layfield

Electrical

Post by redneckarchery »

Is there anyway to run a 147 without a starter generator?
Can you run the tractor without a battery?
When running without a battery would any of the components provide voltage to the coil?
i want to be able to start any of my 4 cubs with a rope and dont want to have to rely on a battery.
Thanks

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Electrical

Post by Farmallgray »

You need a battery for the ignition system.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

redneckarchery

Post by redneckarchery »

okay i got the 109 running, put a different starter generator on it. now it runs , so i tested the output of the starter and it only shows 0.6 volts DC. Now of course the starter side works but the output seems to be bad. i went to my 147 cranked it up and it sayd 9 volts DC wide open. is that the measurement that i should look for?
I mean i should start from there correct because the starter itself works but the charging circuit doesnt. Right?

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

If you run your tractor at half starter and ground the field with a jumper the engine should bog down from that load on the generator. If it dose un-hook the + cable from the battery and it should keep running at half throttle. If it dies the Voltage Regulator is bad. The output of the VR is 13.5Volts at the battery.

redneckarchery

Post by redneckarchery »

wdeturck wrote:If you run your tractor at half starter and ground the field with a jumper the engine should bog down from that load on the generator. If it dose un-hook the + cable from the battery and it should keep running at half throttle. If it dies the Voltage Regulator is bad. The output of the VR is 13.5Volts at the battery.
thats what i was looking for, thanks alot. little things like that is what i am looking for.
thank you very much.