Replacing points in NF & WF Cub Cadets

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

Replacing points in NF & WF Cub Cadets

Post by wdeturck »

The only points I ever replaced on these were on my 128 about five years ago. I remember struggling to get the cover off and the points out (some PO had drilled a hole in the frame so I could get to the bottom screws out). At that time I was playing with my K-161 test engine and setting points with a timing light. I could get the points set right on the timing marks. I then took that set of points and put them right in the 128 (the push rods are different but the points are the same) and that 128 ran better than it ever did since I got it. I never did get the point cover back on :o. I seen there was a new set of points on the test engine and thought that had ran the test engine after my shop fire so I just put those points in the 128 :mrgreen:. No spark and I couldn't even see the points opening (very hard to see because the drop light is always in the way :!: . I finally took the points off (would of been a lot harder if my Grill wasn't missing and I felt the high part of the cam on the push rod) and was able to reinstall the points and get them set at a loose .020 gap. It started and running good at WOT. If I can find a point cover I will struggle and get it back on. I lost 2 screws while trying to get the bottom screw started for the points. I'm not even going to try the timing light with no help.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Replacing points in NF & WF Cub Cadets

Post by Jlaws »

William , if I was closer I'd give you a hand , but Penns. a long long drive .
As for the points cover screws , yes they are a PITA to get in and out , and I've had to fish a few out of the frame with a magnetic tip long screwdriver when they fall .
I do have one of those split tip screwdrivers that hole screws when installing them , but even they occasionally drop screws especially when the screw head slot has a little wear from being removed umpteen times over the years . And they don't work well when it not directly in line with the screw hole , like the bottom screw in the points cover .
Cub should have done something to make it a little easier , maybe a small notch in the frame .
So I've been in your shoes , and with getting older my dexterity and eyesight is getting worse , it gets a little harder every year .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Geezer and Jess,I thought WFs had a hole and a small notch in the frame to make point service easier.

theilmann
First and Last Name: Todd Heilmann

Post by theilmann »

Easiest way to get the points cover back on is to install bottom screw first,loosley, take tin snips and cut the bottom hole into a "U" so you can slide over screw then install top screw throught the hole. I have done this on several an it works great. Next time you need to mess with the points, take out top screw loosen bottom without removing and pull cover up and off. I hope this makes sense.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Wide frames had a hole in the frame to access the bottom screw. Some of the narrow frames had a notch.
I have always had good luck with a screw starter on them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COBUQW/ref ... B000COBUQW
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I use SHCS ( socket head cap screws ) on the points cover. The allen wrench holds the screw better than a screwdriver. Always do the bottom screw first.
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I got my point cover and there is a hole that just lets the correct screw and washer go through. Slotting the bottom hole won't help because when you have the wire and rubber grommet in place you don't have enough room to move the cover high enough to get it over the screw. I got my top screw started and using the split blade screw holder screw driver got the screw in on the first try. Still a tough job for me as it's to close to the floor.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

On my 100 even with the thinnest round screw driver there was no way that I could get at that lower screw, I HAD to file a small notch in the frame.
Barely noticeable, it is there.
DSCN3165.JPG

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

The point cover I found has the "KILL" button on it. Did only the pull start engines (k-161)have the "Kill" switch?

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

My early 100 has a kill switch point cover that was on it when I got it and I believe it is the original.

CaptMax
First and Last Name: Max Miller

Post by CaptMax »

BigMike wrote:My early 100 has a kill switch point cover that was on it when I got it and I believe it is the original.
Mine too.
CaptMax

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Weren't the red button points cover boxes intended for only the magneto ignition equipped engines as Bill had mentioned? :?