Unicorn log splitter

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

Unicorn log splitter

Post by wdeturck »

Unicorn G page 1.pdf
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
Is an authorized IH attachment for a Cub Cadet. Here is all that I ever had to split logs. I was at a show with my screw type self contained log splitter and a man asks me if I would like a screw head he had. I said how much :?: He said free. He had made it about 10 years earlier at his machine shop and when I seen it I knew it was for a unicorn. It has the hardened point put on with a roll pin. I had found a wheel PTO that had a spline on it so I bought the mating spline and welded it to a square block with mounting holes.
unicorn head 1.JPG
I would mount this on a wheel weight on my RIGHT rear wheel :o The unicorn used LH threads :o and he had made it RH thread :P
unicorn head 2.JPG
I just block the left wheel and but the right wheel on blocks and used the ground to keep the log from turning. I would split wood at shows.

What can this log splitter do that the cylinder type can't do (hint: Abe Lincoln did it)