1450 #1 dies when running @ WOT

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
CDLong
First and Last Name: Charles Long Jr

1450 #1 dies when running @ WOT

Post by CDLong »

I mowed about one hour today, the engine stumbled several times over several minutes. Then it died and wouldn't restart. After setting a few minutes, it restarted and died. Did this several times. I checked the fuel flow and it looked good. Let it cool about 15 minutes, and it started and ran for about 20 minutes, then died and wouldn't restart. I changed the fuel filter and pulled the carb bowl off, no debris in the bowl. It restarted and ran about 10 minutes, then died. Swapped the 44C to 1450 #2 and finished mowing. #1 sat about an hour and when then started right up and ran fine for 5 minutes and then I shut it off.
Any ideas?
75-1450 dual stick 220# wheel weights sleeve hitch, 2 link chains, 2-44C deck, front & rear 42" blades, , #2 tiller. 3rd hydraulic operates rear blade. 84-582 w/ creeper

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Re: 1450 #1 dies when running @ WOT

Post by Jeff in Pa »

( the NF guy is asking ) is this a points and condensor ignition? Condensor is a easy change. Maybe heat sink on the coil too?
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

After years of heating and cool down cycles along with the vibration associated with one lung engines, a coil can create an open internal winding condition once reaching a certain operating temperature that will re bridge itself after cooling back down somewhat. Swapping coils on the two machines is an easy test that would be worthwhile I think.
A sicking open exhaust valve could well create the same general condition, once the engine shuts itself down and it is tried to be re started does it seem to turn over faster than normal as though it is lacking compression? If the valve is stuck wide open it will crank over much faster on even a compression release fitted engine as yours is. Folks add various cleaner agents and or lubricant additives to their gasoline but the real solution is remove the valve, clean the valve guide with a brass gun bore brush dipped in carb cleaner and polish the valve shank while chucked in a hand drill with fine skotchbrite or steel wool.

IH4Ever
First and Last Name: Jeff Richardson

Post by IH4Ever »

It sure sounds like a coil to me. They are super easy to change, but frustrating when you are trying to get work done. :x
Loving IH for over a decade.

CDLong

Post by CDLong »

Engine cranks the same every time so I don't think it's a valve problem. The engine was rebuilt last fall. I'm leaning towards a new plug wire, then condenser and coil. I installed Chevy points about 1 month ago.
75-1450 dual stick 220# wheel weights sleeve hitch, 2 link chains, 2-44C deck, front & rear 42" blades, , #2 tiller. 3rd hydraulic operates rear blade. 84-582 w/ creeper

CDLong

Post by CDLong »

Problem with the pin that opens the points. Sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I don't think the 1450 engine came with an aluminum push rod but I know that Kohler said to change them to steel.

Check the 2 screws on the points. I had loose ones on my 128 and it ran good up to the point that they quit opening all together. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

Dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel tank at every fillup.......the exhaust vavle is getting hot and sticking!. I've had lots of mowing tractors do this when they get hot....always same scenario!. MMO will cure the problems about every time!.

CDLong

Post by CDLong »

Not the screws. I can hold against the pin and it ain't moving.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I never heard of it happening but you may have an aluminum push rod that's galled to the steel hole and isn't touching the cam :?: or your can lobe is worn round :?: