IH782 Mower Deck Spindle Pulley

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
1981IH782
First and Last Name: George E. Burns

IH782 Mower Deck Spindle Pulley

Post by 1981IH782 »

Hello Everyone,

New to the group and appreciate the opportunity. I inherited my Fathers beloved IH 782 and am in the process of completely rebuilding the mower deck (44C). I have ran into a snag trying to figure out how to break down the Spindle Assembly. Will someone provide some insight on how to break down the assembly? I have included a couple of pics showing the assembly.

Thanks in advance! :)
Complete Spindle Assembly
Complete Spindle Assembly
Spindle Pulley Top View
Spindle Pulley Top View

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: IH782 Mower Deck Spindle Pulley

Post by Dave C »

Your almost there... remove the 3 carrage bolts that bolted the spindle to the deck... drive a screwdriver between the 2 halfs of the cup... the bottom one should pop right off.... then all thats left is to pop off the pulley from the top and then the top cup is free... thats all there is to it. if the bearing assembly is bad you need a new one. hold onto your butt they are pricey!
dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Not to mention that the new ones are not the same size as the old ones. I dont know why but Frank and I ran into that a few times at his shop
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

1981IH782

Post by 1981IH782 »

Hey Dave,

I attempted to drive a screwdriver between the two half's of the cup, but no luck. This thing is on tight! I have to be very careful when driving an object between the two cups not to force the top of the screw(see photo) against the bottom of the pulley and bending it. Unfortunately, I can't remove the three screws since the pulley overlaps them.

Thanks,
George

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Not knowing a lot about the assembly if those are the 745 spindles there was a guy at Power of the Red that was selling them NOS for fifteen bucks each- he had about eight of them. I passed on them :?

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

You will have to remove the pulley to take it all apart anyway,sometimes the bottom cup is siezed to the shaft by removing the pulley you can then get everything to come apart.

1981IH782

Post by 1981IH782 »

I will take another look, but looking at the top of the pulley the nut appears to be welded on. Can anyone verify that? Thanks for everyone's input!

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

You already took the nut off.... that "nut" is part of the pulley. The assembly is just rusted together just gotta keep working it till it comes apart.... getting the pulley off first will help that operation.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

1981IH782

Post by 1981IH782 »

Was finally able to break the assembly apart. WD-40 helps along with persistence. Thanks, Dave