Finally found an Onan for the 982

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jcrews
First and Last Name: James Crews

Finally found an Onan for the 982

Post by jcrews »

Hello
Well after nearly 5 years I finally found a replacement Onan for my 982. The po said that the engine runs fine but it smokes and has had sitting in storage for a few years he said it was cheaper for the linamar block than to rebuild. I know the rings need replacing but should I replace the piston and connecting rod ?
What else should I need to replace?
Thanks for any help

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Finally found an Onan for the 982

Post by Farmallgray »

Like I do with the Kohlers, I would tear it apart and measure everything. Try to find some specs or a manual. They will have wear tolerances on all the wear parts. If the bore ans pistons are within tolerances, just hone and replace the rings. But if it has too much wear, is too far out of round, or has too much taper, you will have to bore and put oversise pistons in. Same way with the rods and crankpins.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray