All Hydro Owners!

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

All Hydro Owners!

Post by Mayor »

After tinkering around and getting the 982 running after I got it home, the hydro rear wouldnt work. Everything turned but no forward, reverse. I simply changed out the filter and she works perfectly now!.

So if this filter which had new looking hytran and looked clean, was stopped up this much, then how many of our working tractors has fluid restriction going thru the filter?. Which would mean the pump could be cavitating too some degree and possibly making the pump work hotter than it should. And being its a hydraulic pump, cavitation will eventually lead too the pump self destructing. So I though I'd just throw this out there and let everyone know too check the plastic cooling fans on your hydros, check too make sure the pump is clean and free of dirt and built up grass/oi/dirt, and change the filter....its pretty cheap and you dont have too drain the rearend if your quick about it!. If the fluid looks good in the tractor, there's probably no need too change it.....if its smells burnt, change it. If it is milky looking, change it. If it looks dirty, change it. But if it looks clean, and still smells like gear oil......then I wouldnt change it myself but it really doesnt cost a whole lot too go ahead and do it right!.....cleaning out the bottom of the rearend case by removing the rear cover plate while your at it!.

Just a morning thought!.

wdeturck

Re: All Hydro Owners!

Post by wdeturck »

Make sure that you have the correct filter as that filter is different than an auto oil filter even though it fits :mrgreen:

Mayor

Post by Mayor »

Hi Geezer!
I got lucky on mine!....I won a couple of hydro filters as door prizes at one of the plow days....they've been sitting on the shelf for a while now but was exactly the right one for this tractor!. So what's this tell us?????....NEVER throw anything away!!!!!. :beer:

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Mayor, This is my 2082 this past spring. I had this one for about two years at this point, and it had sat in a pole barn with a concrete floor for about two years before I got it. The fluid looked nice and clear on the dipstick, but once it got mixed up some it got pretty funky. The tractor pulled just fine, but the power steering was really heavy.

I think this jist goes to show that what you use for fluid isn't all that important, after all this one was running on IH #935 white latex paint. All kidding aside, It took forever to flush the system, and after about 40 hrs of run time it needs it again.

As far as the cooling fans, have you ever stood behind an 82 series when it is running? Those little fans sure do move some air!
Attachments
2013-03-16 14.15.01.jpg
2013-03-16 14.15.01.jpg (820.17 KiB) Viewed 4847 times

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Vinny,that is the seldom seen "drive by house painting" attachment.You hook a spray gun to one of the hydro lines,fill the trans with your paint/stain of choice and off you go.
I have heard you could fill the trans with eggs if you need to make scrambled eggs for a large group.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Vinny al i can say is WOW !
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

VScott

Post by VScott »

Mayor, when do we get to see the 982? Everybody loves pictures, but everybody REALLY LOVES pictures of 982s! IH/CCC has made some good looking machines over the years, but nothing beats a loaded 982.

Mayor

Post by Mayor »

Well...here's one of it sitting in the front yard!. I havent done anthing too it other than get it running too make sure the engine was good, and I changed out the hydro filter and checked the fluid and rear. Hopefully, by this time next year it will have a total tranformation too a optioned out unit with new paint and decals, and new rubber on all four corners as well!. We're going with tru powers and verdensteins on this one!.
Attachments
982 cub cadet.jpg
982 cub cadet.jpg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 4800 times

VScott

Post by VScott »

SWEET!!!! I have to agree with you on the tru-powers. I like the look of them a lot better than the narrow lug tires. They look a lot more beefy than the Firestones or Goodyears. You probably know this, but the tru powers stand a little shorter than other brands as far as overall height is concerned, at least the 23x10.50s that I have do. I swap them around to whatever I am using as a snow plow tractor, but I first had them on a 1650 with a 54" blade, one set of weights, and a homemade rear weight bracket with maybe 50 lbs on it,and it would never get stuck. My 982 didn't have front outlets or turning brakes either when I got it. A lot you of people add power steering from an 1872/2072 on them, but really the 982s steer pretty easy with the standard non-power setup. I'm not big on the Onan engines, but when they are running right, they make plenty of power, I just have never been able to seem to get them tuned right. Nice score there, that is the king of the IH tractors!

Big Mike, you bring the toast!

Vince, I know, right. I can't believe that it didn't damage anything.

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Nice 982 Mayor!

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

V Scott

That is one nasty mess you have. Just my 2 cents but you can continue to change oil and filters but you will never get all of it out. The axle tubes each hold about a QT and it can not be drained with out pulling the axles and using a suction gun or better pulling the whole rear out and going through it. This is a post I did on just this issue on OCC.
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/show ... hp?t=24352

Anytime I have one apart I drill oil return holes in the bottom of the main case to allow all of the oil to drain. Hope this helps.