Kohler K241 fly wheel

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Kohler K241 fly wheel

Post by JLazar »

Good evening Cub Cadet Collectors, I want to remove the fly wheel from the 241. By removing the fly wheel, will I throw out the timing of the engine? Hope that was worth a good laugh, because I have concerns about what I do. My goal is to remove, clean, and primer/paint. Is there any thing I should be aware of for installation of the fly wheel? You perfectionist do paint your fly wheel, don't you! This question pertains to my 72 { I will use the term "restore" lightly } project.

Ready to begin the paint work on the engine, bet I begin build in the spring '14! Thank you

John
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Kohler K241 fly wheel

Post by Jlaws »

John , the flywheel is keyed , so it only goes on one way and with the points/coil ignition timing really has nothing to do with the timing . The reason its keyed is for balancing it with the crankshaft .
That said , I'm all for painting engines , but flywheels can sometimes be hard to get off even with a flywheel puller and impact gun .
Plus they have to be torqued properly , and some people have accidentally broken off the end of the crankshaft when removing or installing the flywheel . Seems like a lot of work for something that's not going to be seen .
I usually just degrease the engine and wirewheel or brush the flywheel clean while its still on the engine for painting . It not going to be seen since its going to be covered by the engine tin and the flywheel grass screen after its reassembled .
If I was rebuilding the engine , then I might paint it while its off the engine . This is just my opinion .
Last edited by Jlaws on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

Thanks Jess, that makes good sense to me as well!

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

There are several things on a Kohler I would not paint. Carburator, governor linkage , cylinder head and flywheel.

Main reason I do not like paint on the carb and governor linkage is the paint can keep the carb and governor linkage from moving freely.

I will mark the S and T on the flywheel with paint so it is easier to set the points. The flywheel is under a cover and not exposed......wht waste paint on it?????

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

What Jess & Merk said, and the fact that neither Kohler or IH painted them.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

JLazar

Post by JLazar »

The fly wheel has now been cleaned with a variety of brushes, a engine degreaser, a few solvents that would cause a stir, and compressed air. I have the 241 next to the fire drying out, and already the entire unit is rust. I have some other solvents that "should" wipe this flash rust away for a final cleaning before I primer the engine. Nice and clean fly wheel, should move the air better!

Gee wiz, I will be able to start assembling this tractor!