New to me 782

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

New to me 782

Post by stevet »

So as I was looking for another Cub to have has a back up tractor for....well, anything, and to have a 3rd tractor for plow days, I came across this 782. It is currently not running, which appears to be an electrical issue because it turns over, but no spark. Haven't had a chance to dig to deep into it yet, but I will say this, the previous owner took excellent care of this tractor! As a matter of fact, the only disappointing thing about this tractor were his efforts at touching up paint with spray cans. There is overspray in a lot of places. I'm thinking a winter project of getting it up and running, and possibly repainting the sheet metal is in order. I don't want to restore it per se, as everything else is actually in excellent condition. I'll post pics as I go!
new 782 1.jpg
new 782 1.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 11158 times
new 782 2.jpg
new 782 2.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 11158 times
new 782 3.jpg
new 782 3.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 11158 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: New to me 782

Post by Jlaws »

Steve not a bad looking 782 , good luck with it . :thumbsup:

If it was mine I'd just clean it up a bit , there doesn't appear to be any rust and the paint might shine with a little wax . You'll have to be careful getting that overspray off the hood decal without destroying it .

Looks like an early IH 782 with the red axles , and console , whats the serial number ?
Is it a KT17 series I or series II ?
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Yea, I agree with you Jess, a seven dollar bottle of paint reducer and a cloth rag would clean up the rattle can over spray like no body's business. :geek:
Nice 782!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Looks good from here Steve,did you get any attachments with it?

stevet

Post by stevet »

Jess and John, I thought about doing something along those lines, but as a friend of mine says, it's got a 30/30 paint job....looks good at 30 mph from 30 feet away! :lol: When you run your hand over it, you can really feel the spray can texture all over the sheet metal, and definitely can see the uneven coat that was put on it. That's on the back burner for the time being anyway. First and foremost will be draining all of the fluid, fresh oil, gas and hydro fluid, new hydro and fuel filters, carb cleaning and probably just go ahead and put a new carb kit in it, an inline fuel shutoff that I can get to from under the hood instead of taking the side panel off, and of course figuring out the electrical gremlin keeping it from getting spark. I've already taken a quick look at it and have a couple of places I'm going to start with.

As far as the serial #, it's 667XXX which does make it an early one. It does have the series 1 motor in it, but that has never bothered me. I've had good luck with a couple of them and as long as you keep the oil levels up, they seem to hold up fine. If it ever gets replaced, it would certainly be with a newer style motor.

Lew, no attachments, but that was part of the attraction of it as it kept the price down for me. Got a really good deal on it, and I already have a 46" gt deck to put under it as a back up mower to my 782D. It's going to get either a sleeve hitch or a Cat 0 3 pt, but that depends mostly on funds. I've been a big fan of the Cat 0's and that's my preference, but they are not cheap either.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I can't wait to get to work on this one!! I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Nice looking 782 Steve!

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Nice tractor Steve, I need to get to work on my other 782, but like your it needs paint work, but from a lack of paint, not an excess! :)

I think Series II engines will run a long time if you keep oil in them and good oil. Maybe not running them on severe grades might help too, but as you said when she blows she blows, plenty of good replacement options out there.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

sacky07
First and Last Name: Dustin Sacksteder

Post by sacky07 »

what is it with the 782's? why does everyone like them? They seem pricey. Are they just newer yet, smoother? Whats the story with the series 1 KT17? is it the same crapper that JD put in the 317?

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

The 782 is a smooth running , comfortable tractor . They were the last model IH made before being sold to CCC . CCC continued to make the 82 series after acquiring the garden tractor line from IH .

The hydro lift is nice and you could get dual hydraulics with front ports . I've converted a couple of manual lift 682's into 782's just to have the hydrolift .

Yes the KT17 series I is the same crapper that John Deere put into there 317's . The series II has a pressurized oil system that the series I doesn't have .

I've been told the series I are OK as long as you don't drive them on steep hillsides and keep the oil level full .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

stevet

Post by stevet »

As far as why the 782 is so popular, Jess hit the nail on the head....very comfortable and the hydraulic lift. It was the only of the "82" series with hydraulics with the exception of the 982 Super. As far as working on them, the are quite easy to get to just about anything you need to get to, which to me also makes them quite nice to work with.

I know people have had issues with the series 1 motor, but for the use that I will have with this one, that shouldn't be a problem. This is really just going to be a back up tractor to my 982 and 782D. The nice thing for me now, this time of year I'll have the snow blower mounted on my 982, the power angle blade on the 782D and a mower deck on this one for chopping up leaves. That should keep me ready for anything the weather throws at me! Ultimately, if I convert this over to dual hydraulics, this will probably get the power angle blade instead...much easier winter starting!

Well, got my parts list together of things I need, guess it's off to my CC dealer so I can get started!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

sacky07 wrote:what is it with the 782's? why does everyone like them? They seem pricey. Are they just newer yet, smoother? Whats the story with the series 1 KT17? is it the same crapper that JD put in the 317?
The IH built 782 was the best garden tractor IH ever created. First off they were the correct color. Secondly, they are pound for pound one of the most powerful GT out there. They are a small enough size to fit most anywhere, yet large enough to complete a multitude of tasks. When fully outfitted they could handle most any task, and do it comfortably. Plus they are red so you look good doing it! Sure the original KT-17 had some oiling issues but that was Kohler's fault not IH's. These tractors are quiet, don't vibrate like their predecessors, and share commonality of parts so that earlier attachments could be used. Plus these tractors were born red, so they are the correct good looking color. IH got the Cub Cadet line right throughout the production, however the cream of the crop and the best tractors they ever made were the 82 series, with the 782 being the best. Sure some would say the 982 and the 982 is a great tractor, it is however too big for some jobs, where the 782 is the perfect size.

So to some this argument up, 782's are the best tractor IH ever made because they are red, they are smooth, they are red, they had lots of power, they are red, they are a good size, they are red, they are comfortable, they are red, and pound for pound the most useful tractor in the IH lineup. As I might of mentioned earlier the IH built 82 series was the only tractors IH built that were the correct color. :mrgreen:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

stevet

Post by stevet »

Hey bb, what color was that???? :D i do have to agree, i have always liked the red ones, even back when i still had a bunch of narrow frames! some guy named ray weaver sent me home with my first red one....now look where i'm at! :lol: i've now had 2 582's, this is my 3rd 782 and my 982. LOVE these....what color bb?.....oh yeah, red ones!

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

BB,thinks red is the correct color because his eyes are blood shot.......get some Visine son and you'll see how awesome a yellow and white 82 series looks :D

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

lol yeah I might like red... it might be my favorite color?? I do have a red Chebby pickemup truck too...

I do like the red tractors as they stand out from the rest of the line. I have owned several yellow and white ones too, but red is my favorite, and the 782 is my favorite Cub for the reasons I listed above.

My first cub was a 149 that didn't run. Then I got a 129 and converted it to hydro lift. I loved it, but the first time I used my 782 I knew I was going to sell the other cubs I had as the 782 was the nicest tractor out of all of them. 30 mins of mowing with a 129 and you can't feel your finger tips... :)

I can still remember my first plow day and I had a 782.... it was like my first date with a hot blonde.... :shock:

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I need to check the serial numbers on my 782's as I think one of them might be 667 like yours.. it would be cool to have consecutive serial number tractors.

stevet

Post by stevet »

Yes it would...i'll check mine when i get home and post the sn!

Udate: mine is sn 667111.

stevet

Post by stevet »

I do have to agree, my 782D is definitely my favorite! I just wish it had the CI rear in it. I know they can be changed over, but for the time being, mine is holding up fine so I'm leaving it alone.

And BB had a date with a hot blonde????

Oh, and ya gotta give my boy credit, he even managed to get his girlfriend to go to a plow day with us a couple of weeks ago!!! Of course, she hi-jacked my 982 for the most of the day, but I certainly didn't mind, she had a blast!!!
mdpd1.jpg
mdpd1.jpg (817.51 KiB) Viewed 11058 times
mdpd2.jpg
mdpd2.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 11058 times

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Red, White, and Blue!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

stevet

Post by stevet »

Well, I got started on the 782 yesterday. Drained all of the gas out of the tank, which was bad of course, and pulled the air cleaner and carb off. A little more gunk under there than I'd like, but not the worst I've seen either. More pics of that to come tomorrow.

Dropped the carb in some cleaner, and here it is, all ready to be put back together!
Clean carb!.jpg
Clean carb!.jpg (760.23 KiB) Viewed 11006 times
One question I do have for everyone. On all of my other 82 series tractors, there are studs on the manifold that you mount the carb on, and secure it with 2 nuts. On this on, there were actually 2 bolts holding the carb to the manifold. the bolts are shown in the pic (they needed to be cleaned too!). Has anyone else ever come across this before on a 782 or other 82 series?

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

wow Steve that's a old one with the square air cleaner I don't think I have ever taken the bolts out but it may be a replacement engine

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

never seen that before... bolts instead of studs.. I probably have some stock studs if you want to go back with them.

I hope you took the needles out? They need cleaned too ya know! :)

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ray, that would be correct, it does have the square air cleaner...other than some gunk, it looks pretty good.

Bb, that would be great, i'll pm you my address and let me know what i owe you. it would be much easier tor re-install the carb, i'm sure. and yes, the needles were taken out too :beer:

!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

stevet wrote: As far as the serial #, it's 667XXX which does make it an early one. .
I have two 782's currently. The one I've always had good ole #1 :) and another one that is dual hydraulics as well to refurb someday. My original 782 is a 666XXX serial, the second one is a 670XXX. I do have another 782 serial tag here of 665XXX as well. And my 982 is a 686XXX so no chance of a consecutive serial # there.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

bbaker wrote:
stevet wrote: As far as the serial #, it's 667XXX which does make it an early one. .
I have two 782's currently. The one I've always had good ole #1 :) and another one that is dual hydraulics as well to refurb someday. My original 782 is a 666XXX serial, the second one is a 670XXX. I do have another 782 serial tag here of 665XXX as well. And my 982 is a 686XXX so no chance of a consecutive serial # there.
Which all that means is my original 782 was built in Oct of 79, my second 782 was built in June of 80, and the 982 was built in Jan of 81. So I have all three years they built the red tractors accounted for! :)

I was born in April of 79 so my ole 782 is nearly as old as I am. :shock: :D

stevet

Post by stevet »

Geez bb, so close but so far! lol. oh well, it ws a thought. my original 782 was 665782 i think...it was one of the first 200 made, i do remember that. i'll have to check the chart out to see.

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ok, after looking at the serial number chart, I'm pretty sure I had 665182.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Steve
wow first 200 made.my 70 is like that.
bb I see your serial # is close to mine 670003. It does have a square air cleaner,but the tires are round.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

l palma wrote:Steve
wow first 200 made.my 70 is like that.
bb I see your serial # is close to mine 670003. It does have a square air cleaner,but the tires are round.
Mine a lot closer to the other end of 670XXX :)

I won't post serial numbers online anymore. I bought a cub years ago and the serial number was posted on the ebay auction. I drove to the other end of the state for it, and brought it home. In about 3 days I was contacted by the seller stating the state police showed up stating he had sold a stolen tractor on ebay. The seller was a reputable guy and would not be a guy to sell a stolen tractor. Needless to say that tractor sat here for about a month before the local county sheriff showed up to check the serial number. Turned out it wasn't a stolen tractor and I think the guy who reported it stolen was full of crap, but all I know is I bought a tractor and couldn't hardly sleep for a month, nor could I do anything with it until it all got cleared up. It wasn't really a cheap tractor either, so it was a bad deal that ended up turning out alright.

Back in those days if it had turned up as stolen I am not sure if ebay would of made the seller return my money so I was really sweating it on that, but if it was indeed stolen, obviously I would of wanted the victim to get his property back. So long story short, no more posted serial numbers on an open public forum for BB.

stevet

Post by stevet »

So I finally got back to working on the 782 today. Replaced all of the fuel lines, new fuel filter, added an inline fuel shutoff that can be accessed by opening the hood, installed the carb (thanks to BB for the correct studs to mount it!), adjusted the points and bypassed the seat safety switch (which was not properly installed). After getting all of the done, poured in some fresh gas and....fired right up! It's been sitting for approx. a year from what I was told, but after a couple of adjustments, is running pretty good with no smoke.
20131203_164755_resized.jpg
20131203_164755_resized.jpg (451.52 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
Carb reinstalled with new gaskets, of course!
20131203_164804_resized.jpg
20131203_164804_resized.jpg (389.28 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
Inline fuel shutoff and new filter

After getting it running, took it for a spin around the yard. Hydro seems good and tight, brakes need adjusting and possibly a pto switch, but otherwise everything else seems ok. Haven't started on the headlights/tail lights yet, that'll be for another warm day! All in all, very happy with progress so far!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good deal Steve ! Just to check the needle after a carb rebuild would b to look down the intake after a day or two to make sure there is no fuel laying down there. :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.