Engine swap info?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Bill Decker
First and Last Name: Bill Decker

Engine swap info?

Post by Bill Decker »

I have a chance to pick up a 982 with an Onan that has followed its destiny into oblivion...the tractor is pretty nice. I am wondering if it would be worth the effort to swap the Mag18 out of my fully functional daily machine, an 1862, in order to move into the SGT realm. I love the power steering of the Cycops, it has me spoiled, but then again the lure of a big red Cub is strong. How much aggravation is the swap, and what are the opinions of you folks as far as whether it would be worth it all...

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Re: Engine swap info?

Post by MattS »

I used to use an 1862 as my daily machine, but once I got my 1872 sgt, the 1862 just sat around and collected dust. If you don't mind parting out that 1862, and giving up the power steering, I would say do it. I have never had a 982 so I don't know how the mechanical steering feels on them. They steer off the center of the axle so it might not feel too bad.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

If you could get your hands on a steerng column from a 1872, 2072, 1572, 1772 etc., you could use the rest of the 1862 power steering items and have a 982/1872
Also, you will need to have a drive shaft from one either a 18 or 2072 or have one made. I may be wrong, but the 982 shaft is not the same length as the 1872/2072 even though the frames are the same length. If I aot correct I am sure somebody will jump in and provide the correct info. Also the driveshaft mounts are different from the 1862.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im in the prosses of taking the eng out of the 1872 and putting it in the 482. Then I have a command out of an 1863 that will be going into the 1872.

If it helps, I dont have a clue what Im doing!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Bill Decker
First and Last Name: Bill Decker

Post by Bill Decker »

Gotta love ya, Vincenzo....at least you admit to being a poke and hope kinda guy!

After thinking it over, I don't think I will be gaining anything other than the coolness factor of the 982...so over onto the sellin' page it's headed...Thanks guys.

blawhorn
First and Last Name: Bob Lawhorn

Post by blawhorn »

I had a 1862 that was my mowing machine I liked it allot but then came a 982 with power steering and a 60" haban deck. Needless to say the 1862 set in the corner of the garage all summer and decided to sell it. The 1862 was a nice 500 hour machine but the 982 fit my needs better.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Id trade my 1872 for a IH built 982 in a heart beat!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson