Cub Cadet original with woods fm48 mower

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
SethL007
First and Last Name: Seth Lehman

Cub Cadet original with woods fm48 mower

Post by SethL007 »

ok guys i am new to the site so i want to thank you all in advance for any information. i have recently bought a cub cadet original 7hp tractor that was sold new with woods fm48 front mount mower. it came with all the original manuals for the tractor and the mower. both pieces are in need of some work but are all original and i believe everything is there. the delivery notes in the manual show that it was delivered new in 1962 to firestone farms in columbiana ohio. after doing some research this was harvey firestones personal farm where back in the day they did all the their agricultural tire testing. pretty neat story with the paperwork! the arbors are all shot on the mower and the clutch is out in the tractor but i have had the tractor running. i was wondering if anybody could give me an idea what this unit might be worth. thanks for everything!!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Cub Cadet original with woods fm48 mower

Post by Jlaws »

Seth , first off welcome to this crazy group .
Secondly I can't tell you what its worth , but as that I've only seen one in person and a few others in pictures , I'd think its a rare find.
I've probably owned about a dozen Originals over the years and only a few even came with the original 38" mower decks .
The only 48 woods front mower I've seen in person is presently being restored by AW Gonya .

I'm sure William (geezer) or other members has information on it and will be along here shortly to assist you .

Oh....We like pictures . :D

Jess
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

A.W.Gonya
First and Last Name: Aaron W. Gonya

Post by A.W.Gonya »

Seth,

I have no idea what it's worth. But I'd love to have photocopies of the Woods manual. Our local (And excellent) Woods dealer had never even seen one when I went looking for parts. Inforation on the FM48 is pretty scarce.

Here is ours, with the 147 it was on.
Can you buy WD40 by the tank car?

SethL007

Post by SethL007 »

i will try and get some pictures tonight for you guys! There are all on my home computer. if you look at my profile i have a couple pictures of the tractor and mower. i am still trying to figure out how to put them on my post. bear with me I'M NEW!!

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

SethL007 wrote:i will try and get some pictures tonight for you guys! There are all on my home computer. if you look at my profile i have a couple pictures of the tractor and mower. i am still trying to figure out how to put them on my post. bear with me I'M NEW!!
I clicked on your pictures in your album to see them, then right clicked on it to read "properties" and pasted that in img brackets

Looks pretty good :beer:
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

SethL007

Post by SethL007 »

thank you!!! fyi the tractor does have the oil bath air cleaner and front emblem, i just hadnt got them on yet when i took this picture.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Seth , looks like your Original may be a early 1961 model . It doesn't appear to have the steering adjustment hole in the console and collared front axle spindles .
Also the early small opening rear rims , its kind of hard to tell from the pictures .

Whats the serial number ? Its the hand stamped number on the reduction housing .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

SethL007

Post by SethL007 »

Serial number is 20142

D Nafziger
First and Last Name: Dean Nafziger

Post by D Nafziger »

I have a copy of the parts book for these FM-48 decks, don't know how to add. PM me an I will email it to anyone.

Dean

CubbinCal
First and Last Name: Calvin Woodrey

Post by CubbinCal »

Too cool. I want one.
I'm hittin easy street on AG tires!

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Wow cool find!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

D Nafziger
First and Last Name: Dean Nafziger

Post by D Nafziger »

To all that ask for the Woods parts book, I will get them ASAP, they are in my other putor and I just got home from work, should have them by Thurs evening.

Thanks