125 carburetor

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
lphaines
First and Last Name: Lance Haines

125 carburetor

Post by lphaines »

Alright, looking at buying a new carb for my 125. I know there running $317 at my local cub dealer. I've been seeing them on ebay though for well under half that price. So I am wondering if there is anything I have to look out for with these ebay ones since they are so much cheaper?

Thanks guys!

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: 125 carburetor

Post by stevet »

First question i have for you, if you already have a carb, what kind of shape is it in? Second, have you considered buying a used one and with a little work, rebuild it yourself for much less money? i know some guys on here will have some decent used carbs that soaking in some carb cleaner, a $13-14 carb kit and you're in business.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Lance, I second Steves advice. Even if the throttle shaft or bore is worn that can be fixed. I have reamed the bore and made new brass shafts and can help if you need.
The carb you quoted very possibly is a non adjustable Walbro and those can be hit or miss if they work properly and if they don't you are stuck.

lphaines

Post by lphaines »

Hey guys,

I'm not real familiar with carbs, so I guess my real question is can the internals of the carb body be wore out itself. Someone had told me that over the years the newer grades of gas they are using can wear out the carb itself? I installed a new carb kit the other day, and with talking to others on this site I know I need to install a bushing for the throttle shaft. There is way too much play, and I'm thinking this is why the cubs not running right.

The snow is piling up, so any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

tbdavis123
First and Last Name: Terry Davis

Post by tbdavis123 »

Lance - I'll third what folks are saying! By no means am I an expert on carbs but I have been through several and there really isn't much too them. My advise is to completely disassemble it (bout 5 minutes), clean it thoroughly, blow it out good, put your new kit back in AND install a shiny new throttle shaft bushing (bout $5 or so for bushing and 2 screws that hold the butterfly on the shaft). Bushing installation is easy and can make all the difference in the world in how that dude runs and you'll be proud of all your handiwork. Oh, and have bunch more of that green stuff left in your wallet!

stevet

Post by stevet »

I can tell you that when i started, i was like you...didn't knwow much about the carbs either. They are very easy to work on and yes, that bushing can be replaced. I haven't had to do one yet, but i'm sure others can help you through it if you need some help.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Lance, if someone told you that the internals(short of the shaft in the body) would wear out from use they were either pulling your leg or they are misinformed.

lphaines

Post by lphaines »

Hey, thanks for the info guys! I'm going to go ahead and just rebuild the rest of the carb.

stevet

Post by stevet »

Let us know how you make out!

huntingslife
First and Last Name: Michael Schomaker

Post by huntingslife »

does anyone know where a step by step fix of the throttle shaft leak fix is?
1969 125 IH #2 tiller IH Snow Thrower IH blade
1967 125 IH #1 tiller IH Blade
1969 124 Creeper

lphaines

Post by lphaines »

Michael,

Here are a couple things I have saved on my computer that may be helpful

1. http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/Kohler%20TT32 ... Repair.pdf Throttle shaft repair kit instructions, may be best option

2. http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengin ... Manual.swf Lengthy manual on all kohler carbs, don't think it has anything on shaft repair, but may be a useful document to have on hand.

And it seems like I have seen some videos on youtube. Hope something here helps

huntingslife
First and Last Name: Michael Schomaker

Post by huntingslife »

cool thanks, but ithink i remember guys making their own new bushings out of brass or something.
1969 125 IH #2 tiller IH Snow Thrower IH blade
1967 125 IH #1 tiller IH Blade
1969 124 Creeper