Retiring the 1450 loader cub

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Retiring the 1450 loader cub

Post by Jlaws »

I'm going to retiring my 1450 loader cub , which is truthfully getting tired , and moving the 48" Johnson loader over to either a 782 or 982 .

I'm leaning towards the 982 because of the wider front axle and larger size , which would make a more stable platform , plus I also have a rear 60" Cat 0 Brinly scrapper blade I would mount on it for extra rear ballast .

I also have a red 782 that's not being used for anything at the moment with a good KT17 series II in it .

Which way would you guys go , although I think I know the answer .
Opinions please .....
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Re: Retiring the 1450 loader cub

Post by LFR »

Good I think it is good to retire a old tractor that has served its duties now it's time to give it a full resto :beer:
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The only thing I can figure better than a loader on a super would be if it was a grease burner too.
Once you retire the 1450 don't let Vince near it :lol:

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Jess do yourself a favor and put power steering on a 982 and put your loader on it as long as the bucket will clear the front tires. The Super is wider than a standard cub, and your bucket may only clear the tires of the narrower cub?

I would also figure out a way to add a foot treadle for your hydro. With a loader you end up with one hand on the wheel, and on hand on the loader control. Using your foot to control the forward and backwards to me is ideal.

I'd rather see you build a dedicated loader tractor with a foot treadle, from an MTD made machine and not mess up a perfectly good IH built red tractor.

Oh and that 1450.... I got a torch we can put it out of it's misery! :) Can I get an A'men Vince??? :shock: :twisted:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

One day I'm gonna have to sit on a 982 just get a feel for the difference.

1) Will you have to fabricate a new undercarriage for the 982 ?

2) On full size tractors the shorter chassis tractors with a loader make a more maneuverable unit.

All around "cool factor" I'd vote for the 982, squeezing into animal pens like I need to, I'd go with the 782 (H'mmm I don't remember any animals around your place) :D
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Personally i think i would side with BB and find yourself a decent 1810 or something mtd built...get yourself a power steering setup and a cast iron trans.... and start pairing it up. I also agree with the smoker.

This is all of course because...

I built up a dedicated loader tractor last year and started with a 882 carcass... added power steering cast iron trans and a smoker. I liked the idea of a slightly shorter wheelbase for more manuverability. Also the darn super takes up enough room as it is... add a loader to it and its the size of a small car.
oh well just kinda my 2 cents!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

I don't plan on doing anything to the 782 or 982 that can't be undone . That said , the foot control would be nice , but with the dual brake pedal arrangement on the 982 , that might be impossible ( I haven't really looked at it to see if its feasible ) .
The 782 might be an easier conversion to foot control .

The larger size of the super isn't an issue , I don't have any areas where the added length will be an issue .

Power steering , whats that ?? :lol:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Jess, I would have to agree with BB, the 982 with PS. That's the set up I had my loader on and it worked great! I did initially put my loader on a 782, but the larger platform made it much more manageable, especially when you've got the bucket full. The ps is a HUGE help, and you'll often wonder how you ever managed with the 1450! Good luck with it and let us know how you make out!

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Started taking the Johnson loader off the 1450 last week and boy was that a job .
When I installed it to the 1450 years ago it was a bolt on , but due to the fact that the uprights were welded to the loader subframe , it turned into a major job just getting it off the tractor . I had to raise the tractor quite a bit to slide it out .

I've discovered that the 782 frame has some differences to the 1450 frame and some of the loader subframe attachment brackets will have to be moved .

When I had the Johnson loader attached to the 1450 the loader pump ran off the front PTO and the pump was attached to the quick attach mule drive . I figured it would be a easy swap over to the 782 , but have discovered that the 782 PTO is about 2 inches further forward of where it was on the 1450 . So now I'm going to have to modify the mule drive . :banghead:

Things that I'm still working on is the uprights front brace attachment points , probably attached to the sides of the mule drive , also working on being able to remove side panels easily , since it was a pain on the 1450 since the loader front braces were always in the way .

I'm also going to do away with the duals on the rear , while it made for a very stable platform and it was easy to add a lot of rear weight as all 4 tires were loaded and had 50 lbs of wheel weights on each side sandwiched between the wheels , I got tired of changing broken axles which happened twice on the old 1450 .

I'm going with single loaded 10.50 Ags with inside and outside wheel weight on the 782 , and a dedicated rear box blade for additional weight . It should be plenty .

I'll post pictures of the loader 782 after I get it finished

Picture of 1450 loader during better times .
Attachments
loader.jpg
loader.jpg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 10657 times

cjrolke
First and Last Name: Chris Rolke

Post by cjrolke »

hey I know that tractor it pushed a parts tractor on my trailer

Oldskull
First and Last Name: Gilles Desroches

Post by Oldskull »

Wow! I wish to build a loader for my 1650 but this is to much for my poor QL! It's overbuilt! I expect to lift about 400lbs with just a rear box acting like a counter weight fix on a sub frame, I will greatly appreciate if you show some pictures and give me some measurement of your sub frame Jeff before you mod all fixing point for his new "Home".

Modified foot hydro control set up is on my list too. Since I use one on my "Carrot head" I learn to appreciate having a free hand to hold my drink ;)

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Gilles , when I made my last post I already had the loader sub frame off the 1450 and partially mounted to the 782 . Sorry :(
I finished welding the new front and rear attachment brackets to the subframe for the 782 , the only mounting brackets that matched when switched from the 1450 to the 782 was the middle set of brackets .

It was a bolt on when on the 1450 and still will be on the 782 , but its a lot of work .

There's nothing like welding in 90 degree weather with the humidity around 70% .....whew .

I might put a foot control on it later , I need to get it finished , I've already had a couple of time that I needed it since its been out of service .

I'm getting close to finished , pictures later ...........

Oldskull
First and Last Name: Gilles Desroches

Post by Oldskull »

No arm Jess! I found pictures of similar sub frame for Johnson loader so I got a good idea were are the "fixing point" :beer:

Enough chat! Bring on those pictures! :D

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Were there 3/4" wheel spindles on the 1450? I was wondering how good they held up in use with the loader. I have a nice set of 3/4" that I just up graded my tractor to 1" wheel spindles.
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG (3.28 MiB) Viewed 10534 times
I'm sure the 982 has 1" as well, which would be a plus + ! I was stunned at my first look at 1" compared to 3/4" :shock:
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

John , most Quietlines have 3/4 inch spindles , the later ones near the end of production have 1 inch .
My 1450 was made in the last month of the Quitelines production so it has 1 inch spindles .
I'm almost done with the 782 loader , finished the offset front support brackets today , and I can actually get the side panels on and off pretty easy . :)
Tomorrow hopefully I get to test it out . :D

CubbinCal
First and Last Name: Calvin Woodrey

Post by CubbinCal »

It's not done without pics Jess.
I'm hittin easy street on AG tires!

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Cal , its still not done , but I did take it for a short spin around the yard today . :D

I still have to mount the fenders and tunnel cover , but I left them off to check for leaks in the hydro lines .
This has to be the first time I've done the 682 to 782 conversion as well as changing out the pump and putting it on a totally different rear end and didn't have it or any of the lines leak.... :beer:

This cub started out as a manual lift 682 that I got from A.J. Gross a few years back , that I converted to a 782 with hydrolift .
It originally had a 123 rearend in it that I swapped with a proper 682 rearend , and then put a ported pump on it .
I've got a custom rear hitch double lower bracket that I made so I can put a weight box on when I don't have the rear box blade mounted on it .
I still have to put my loaded Ag tires on it yet as well as rear wheel weights , but its getting close .

I also have to grind off the welds on the loader buckets worn out bottom cutting edge and replace it with a new cutting edge .

So you see I had a lot of little things that needed changed , before I even got around to putting the loader on it .
Attachments
782 loader 001.JPG
782 loader 001.JPG (840.16 KiB) Viewed 10512 times
782 loader 003.JPG
782 loader 003.JPG (858.85 KiB) Viewed 10512 times
782 loader 002.JPG
782 loader 002.JPG (837.82 KiB) Viewed 10512 times

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Tomorrows project ....
These are going to the local Kabota dealer for mounting and loading with Rimguard .
Attachments
tires 001.JPG
tires 001.JPG (748.66 KiB) Viewed 10507 times

CubbinCal

Post by CubbinCal »

If I remember correctly.......... That 123 rear end come to Ohio from Timmy D in New York during the 2006 RPRU in Mansfield, Oh. It was the rear that had the bent axle in my 123 that I plowed with at AW's one year. It made its way from Ohio to Rick "short bed" Harris in Kentucky and I think he passed it on to AJ in Indiana for that 682 project.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Cal , yeah I remember that wobbly wheeled 123 at plowday..... :lol:

Its probably the same rearend because its got red painted axle hubs .

Its definitely a well traveled rearend . :lol:

CubbinCal

Post by CubbinCal »

I think the wobbly wheel aided in traction since it was in the furrow. That 123 was a fun plow tractor. I may have to dig it out of the Cub Palace someday.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Done .......not particularly pretty , but hey its a worker .......I may swap a few wheel weights around later on . But there is already a marked improvement in traction and stability with the loaded ag's and additional wheel weights .
Attachments
Loader Ags 001.JPG
Loader Ags 001.JPG (801.77 KiB) Viewed 10462 times
Loader Ags 002.JPG
Loader Ags 002.JPG (734.45 KiB) Viewed 10462 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

no power steering?
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Bryan ol buddy , power steering is a luxury that I don't want , can't afford ( actually I can but I'm so tight with money I squeak ) , and wouldn't install even if I got one for free .
From what I've seen they are expensive to buy or repair , problematic , and not a lot of good if I need to move the loader when its not running or won't start .
Mine steers easy enough without it .
Thanks anyway ....

TWheaton
First and Last Name: Tim Wheaton

Post by TWheaton »

Nice lookin Jess.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Jlaws wrote:Bryan ol buddy , power steering is a luxury that I don't want , can't afford ( actually I can but I'm so tight with money I squeak ) , and wouldn't install even if I got one for free .
From what I've seen they are expensive to buy or repair , problematic , and not a lot of good if I need to move the loader when its not running or won't start .
Mine steers easy enough without it .
Thanks anyway ....
OK :mrgreen:

Guess I'm lazy I don't ever want another tractor without it. :)

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Nice rear wheel improvement! I like that........... . The extra muscle-man weights on the back is classic. Over all, a much better set up. No need for the stress on the rear axel running duels. Cast iron transmission is the way to go!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Ky Greg
First and Last Name: Greg Laramore

Post by Ky Greg »

Sweet setup Jess!!
Adapt, Improvise and Overcome!