A couple of questions ?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

A couple of questions ?

Post by Jlaws »

I have a couple of questions that I've been pondering about the IH built Cub Cadets .

# 1
Were the different models built on separate assembly lines or did they all come off one line with different size K series engines ?

If they only had one line , did they build them in batches , did they do a certain amount of 102's then change over and build 122's 123's or 71's for a while . Or could one have been a 122 and the next one off the line be a 102 ?
I'm just using the 102 122 as an example .

Did IH built cubs have a storage area with a small surplus on hand or did they ship them almost immediately after they were assembled .

Were the quantity's built of each model controlled by dealers demand for certain models , or did the dealers get whatever IH felt like shipping to them ?

I'm sure if a buyer wanted a certain model , and the dealer didn't have one on hand they could probably order it . If a person wanted a model 71 with fenders did it come from the factory with fenders or was it added to a 71 at the dealer ? The same thing with creeper , headlights etc.

One of the reason I'm asking is for my own knowledge , and I was wondering how likely it is that a person could find two consecutive serial numbers for say a couple of 122 models , or any other model cub for that matter . That includes the 82 series .

I sometimes wish we had a list of cub serial numbers so we could see what cubs are still out there .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

wdeturck

Re: A couple of questions ?

Post by wdeturck »

Lots of questions ther Jess :o I know they has a sub assembly line putting the transmissions(from a picture) and you could tell the Farmall Cub or maybe Low Boy because of the length of the length of the main shafts as they were both on this line in a random fashion.
Your questions brought this question to me about if any headlights were installed at the factory which would be the most wanted accessory that was available.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Well, I'm not sure I can be of any help, but I can't say enough about how much I enjoy having an IH Cub Cadet. The Original, 70/100, 71, 72, and the last of the classic round fender, the 73, all had options that could be added such as fenders, under drive, lights, electric start, and more. I gather that these options could be dealer installed, or installed by the owner-operator at home. Though, I can't be one hundred percent sure of what really rolled off the Louisville assembly line. I would figure, when it comes to the differences between models you mention, that there could have been say, three to four parallel assembly lines, since the only major differences were what engine went in which model, and whether the garden tractor was gear drive or hydrostatic drive. I'm sure that model variations would dictate what tire sizes, and equipment would be available for each specific models. I often have wondered if I would ever see a consecutive serial number show up for any three of my ihcc's. Would be interesting,...........
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I can't say for sure about the IH days, but in the late 80s CCC days the dealers ordered the models and quantities they wanted. The more they ordered the better discount they got and the quicker they sold them, the better discount they got. I don't remember for sure when the spring orders were placed(probably Oct or Nov), but we always got our first order when it was still cold and snowy. If you ran out of a model you could possibly trade with another dealer. In our area (central PA) Cub Cadet had two bigger dealers that were setup as warehouses. We could sometimes get more machines from them if needed. One was in Alum Bank (Pleasantville), and the other was in Mechanicsburg.

I would assume things were similar in the IH days.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray