1450 Update - Need Hydro Help

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
bob95065
First and Last Name: Bob Elliott

1450 Update - Need Hydro Help

Post by bob95065 »

I posted an update on my 1450 project here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5452&start=30

Any help with this tractor is appreciated. This is my first hydro and I want to put it back together right. Here's a couple of questions:

1. Is sector shaft side-to-side play acceptable?

2. Can I remove the sector shaft and put it back in without disassembling the pump? Will the swash plate fall if I remove it?

3. Is play between the cam plate and trunion plate acceptable?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: 1450 Update - Need Hydro Help

Post by Farmallgray »

Not sure what you are calling the sector shaft. The shaft that the swash plate pivots on requires complete disassembly to remove. Most of them seem to have some side to side play in that shaft. Won't hurt anything.

Any play in the linkage can cause "hydro creep".
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

bob95065

Post by bob95065 »

I am trying to get parts 39 & 54 out. I don't think the washer (part 37) is missing which is causing movement along the shaft. While I am in there I'll replace the seals on either side of the shaft (part 38)
Attachments
hydro_img.jpg
hydro_img.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Bob,

First you cannot link to a picture on another forum because i had to be logged into the other forum to see the picture... and alot of members may not be a member of both. I fixed the picture for you.

In order to get the parts you describe out and replace seals it means disassembling the ENTIRE hydro pump... not exactally an easy job.

Part 31 is attached to both those stub shafts and the pump is also in the middle.. along with like 10 pistons and some other parts....

I have never seen leaks from this area on the pumps. The only seal worth really replacing is the one on the input shaft... you can drive a screw into the seal and then pry the seal out with a small crowbar... working side to side.
Also the cork gasket is the other prone leak area.

Usually there is some side to side play and it wont hurt anything.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Also i looked at the other thread...Be sure to do the engine cradle upgrade too

downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=7
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

bob95065

Post by bob95065 »

I think I may leave it alone. My plans for this tractor are to do a "mechanical restoration" this year meaning I will replace broken/missing parts and clean it up without getting it to new cosmetic condition. I have work to do with it now and I want to get it in operational shape. My wife wants her garden in by mid-March.

Next winter I want to do a full restoration. If there is a problem with the hydro controls beyond what I fix or replace I'll fix it then.