123 hydro relief valves

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
tbdavis123
First and Last Name: Terry Davis

123 hydro relief valves

Post by tbdavis123 »

Finally got my 123 started today and now relief valves are stuck down so she won't roll. All I know to do is pull em out and give em a good bath. Not that familiar with hydros so curious if anyone has any other suggestions. It did roll before I got it started and not sure if there's any connection? Would also note that it has new HyTran and the correct filter. Thanks

tbdavis123

Re: 123 hydro relief valves

Post by tbdavis123 »

Forgot to mention that I've had the hydro release lever locked down for a few months so I could roll it around. Also, it didn't want to roll out of the garage to try and start it but then it was fine. Seems like an intermittent problem?

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

So are you saying you got it running and it wont move under its own power? Or you press the relief valves down and you cant push it?
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Sometimes the release pins stick down when the release valve lever has been locked down for a long time .Dirt and grime builds up around the pins and can cause them to stick down . They should pop back up when the cub is started . If they stick down again you might try a thin penetrating oil like WD-40 while trying to work them up and down .
In the future I wouldn't lock the lever down except when your rolling it around .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

cjrolke
First and Last Name: Chris Rolke

Post by cjrolke »

on my 123 I pulled and soaked the valves for a few hours and the started to work correctly as in you push down on them and they will automatically spring backup

tbdavis123

Post by tbdavis123 »

Good news! Shot em with PB and WD40 a few times and they started popping their heads up. Started tractor, they popped out and all is good. I did manage to break the release lever plate somehow but think I have an extra somewhere. Thanks fellas for all your help. On a different note - anyone ever replace a tranny breather? Think I buried one with a power sprayer. No clue how you get one out or install one.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

The only rearend breather that I know of is the one located in the picture below , and I've never seen one out . They're pressed in and are flush with the case and usually painted over , or buried under grime and dirt .
Attachments
782 rearend.jpg
782 rearend.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

tbdavis123

Post by tbdavis123 »

Yep - that's the one! On two of my tractors they're no longer flush but rather pushed in maybe a half inch deep or so. I need to drain the rear end on my 123 today to replace the rear cover gasket so maybe I'll have a peek inside and see if it's possible to push the breather up flush where it belongs. I'll holler back if I have any luck.