1978 cub 1000

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
clayhustler
First and Last Name: mark cowans

1978 cub 1000

Post by clayhustler »

Why is it when I put my gear shift in the "1st" position it goes in 3rd. The "2nd and 3rd" position seam to be "2nd". Reverse is where it should be. Gear shifter is not that loose, I dont think that is but dont really I know.

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Re: 1978 cub 1000

Post by LFR »

I can't answer exactly why but I would start by draining the trans fluid and see what it does. I have really no clue but I guess you can start with that. Depending on what type of transaxle you have. There are balls that shift the gear when you use them they click and keep the gear shifter in the gear those could be gone or bad there bad. Are there any chances you had the trans rebuilt? If so there's a chance that 3rd and 1st are in wrong spot. Cause they do interchange I think get back with me. And see if you can provide info like if it was rebuilt was it used hard has it done computation pulling and when was the trans fluid changed last. We'll help ya :beer:
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Mark, I'd pull the top of the gear shift case and check the shifter forks. Apparently something is worn or broken. And, by the way, I see you're from Rockport. I live near Boonville. If you're interested in attending a meeting of the River City Garden Tractor Club, I can add you to our email list. We usually meet monthly in Evansville. Just let me know. My email address is in my profile.

clayhustler

Post by clayhustler »

Paul I would love to attend, please email at clayhustler@yahoo.com. The more I think and after talking to a gentleman, we have come to think the "H" on the under side of the trans cover is broken. The tractor is in factory condition, never been hacked up. One reason I purchased it. I dont have a lot of experience with Cubs so I figured if I find one unmolested it might help me. Plus I am a purest at heart. Going to try to find some exploded view of the transmission that should help me. Paul I will be looking forward to the meetings. I have 3 kids and a job that requires a lot of me, but I will do all I can to come. I hope to gain some knowledge from you all.

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Yep your shifter fork I think is the h your talking about :beer:
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Well what your describing is next to impossible with these transmissions... 1st and Rev use the same shift fork and same sliding gear.... and in no way can the 1st and 3rd gears be swaped around during reassembly... tooth counts would be completely off.
2nd and 3rd could prob be swaped... although never tried it.

If you had an issue with shift forks or shift rails you would have problems getting the tractor out of gear (stuck in a gear)

Or you can get the trans stuck in 2 gears.... thats always interesting!

I have never seen the H on the bottom break or anything.... it could have possibly fell out but i think that would be causing some major issues!

What i THINK is the problem....

On the front of the gearshift cup there is a small pin that meshes with a slot inside the cup... this keeps the gearshift from "spinning" If either this Pin fell out or the weld broke that connects the inner cup to the gearshift.... it would make it very difficult to find gears.

This wasnt an issue with the Farmall Cub as the shifter went straight up and didnt matter

Tell me this when you move the shifter left to right does is seem to move parrallel left to right or does it seem to turn or rotate?
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

clayhustler

Post by clayhustler »

Mr. Dave C. I believe you are right. I can move the shifter, when in gear, almost a full circle. The shifter is very sloppily. Do you know where I can find a exploded view of tranny and or how to fix my problem. Thanks alot you have helped. Will try to post pics if I can figure it out not very computer smart.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Here is a blowup....unfortunately parts are probably broken inside.

I would recommend either A, Finding a good shifter from one of our used sources like Ray Weaver

OR B If you have access to a welder or someone that can weld/repair fix it yourself

Or C take it off and send it to me and ill fix it for you!

here is a blowup
Attachments
shifter.gif
shifter.gif (9.19 KiB) Viewed 5414 times

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Probably what happened is part 9 has fallen out... or if you look at part 3... the "bell" that the arrow is pointing at has broken off of the rest of the assembly

chearn
First and Last Name: Carl Hearn

Post by chearn »

If the weld breaks on the shift lever and bell it will look something like this:
resized_IMG_0641.jpg
resized_IMG_0641.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Now when you weld it back on make sure you get it in the right position or you wont have enough throw to get it in a couple of gears. Ask me how I know. My solution was to open up the tower a little with a cut off wheel on a die grinder. The cover covers this up so no big deal since this is gonna be a worker. I would have got a different shifter if this was going to be a restoration.

Also took a peek in the trans and discovered a loose shifter fork. Tightened the bolt, put the shifter on put it in gear and spun the input shaft by hand. Nothing in reverse or 1st, but it would move in 2nd and 3rd. Looked deeper and saw a missing tooth on the reverse idler and what appears to be a missing rev/1st gear (well i dont think its missing but its definately missing all its teeth)

Also the pto clutch has po issues. Looked to be a farmer owned it, plenty of bailer twine in the mower deck spindles, wire in the pto clutch, and of all things a 3/8" bolt driven into the front of the pto clutch. No duck tape so that might be a good thing.

More updates in a new thread.
"Told her you were leaving - to go tractor pulling" - Unsmooth Moments!

clayhustler

Post by clayhustler »

Take the fenders off to get the shifter out and the weld was broke. Any thoughts on how to compress spring for disassembly? Think I'm going to make a tool for this or get crafty with it.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

I usually just get creative with the bench vice... a second person sometimes helps. The spring is not overly heavy.