Steering wheel/hood clearance

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JH5070
First and Last Name: Jeff Heckel

Steering wheel/hood clearance

Post by JH5070 »

Does anyone have an idea of why the steering wheel on my 70 blocks the hood when lifted? I've heard other owners have the same issue, but have no idea why. The problem was solved by the previous owner by beating the steering wheel out of shape to make a flat spot for the hood to pass. I guess the steering shaft may be the problem. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks for your help.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: Steering wheel/hood clearance

Post by stevet »

the problem usually is that the grill housing has been pushed backwards, causing the hood to interfere with the steering wheel. Check that and see what it looks like....

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Jeff, it's probably not the correct way to fix it, but the easiest method is to use washers to tilt the grill housing forward. There's 4 bolts that hold the grill housing to the frame. Usually one washer between the frame and the grill housing for each of the back two bolts is enough to get the hood to tilt forward enough to clear the steering wheel. Of course, the "correct" way is to straighten the frame in the front but that always seemed like a lot more work to me.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Usually the front most one inch edge of the frame will be canted upward a bit this from the top of the grille shell striking a tree or whatever. With the grille shell removed a pipe wrench and straight edge will make the repair easy.
Many folks don't bother removing the grille shell when removing the engine or doing clutch work, I myself find those repairs much easier with the grille out of the way.

JH5070
First and Last Name: Jeff Heckel

Post by JH5070 »

All good info, thanks guys. I will take a look at the grill this 4th of July weekend. Have a safe holiday!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

My tool of choice for straightening the front edge of the frame is a 15" adjustable wrench along with a carpenters square to check for straightness after tweaking . I find that the front couple of inches of frame are usually pushed up and it doesn't take much effort to straighten it back down . But I'll admit that I've also used the washers under the back set of holes method also . :lol:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .