Screw removal

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Screw removal

Post by JLazar »

:shock:

Guys, I'm trying to remove the screen screws ( 4 ) off a Kohler K321 AQS engine. Its for my 1450 Cub Cadet.......... I want the engine tin ( blower housing ) because it is in better condition. The problem, it that the screws ( + type ) are so secure, I can't budge. Nor can I hold the fly wheel from turning. I have not yet stripped out the screw heads.

I was hoping maybe some of you may have had this experience, and found another solution to using a Dremel tool and grinding off the screw heads. There really don't seem to be any other way.......? Thank you,

John
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Re: Screw removal

Post by OhioBinder »

Have you tried an impact driver. One of those that have different bits that you hold with one hand and smack with a hammer with the other, they are reversible. I've had good luck with them when you have room to use them. The impact drives the bit into the screw head and helps to keep from stripping it out.
David
David Gregg
NW oIHo

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

ditto
If not i've had good luck drilling out using the cross of the philips to center the bit. this works great on wide frame foot treed bolts as you can then turn the remains of the screw out to the bottom. Maybe a left hand bit is the way to go here? Let us know if you find a better way then grinding….

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Take the correct size Phillips screw driver to the fastener and wack it with a sfh. That is how it have gotten them off, works well .

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

I've used Lewis's style of smacking them with a small hammer , the sudden shock of being smacked with a hammer sometimes loosens the bolt ..It sometime work on NF foot tread screw too , but I use a BFH for them ........... :lol:

That screen is mounted to a cast aluminum flywheel cup and some care needs to be used not to break that cup .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

If I'm correct I think you can lodge something in the fins
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Jesse,

Those 4 phillips screws attach to the flywheel not the cup.
I had a few strip out and the lock pliers gets them out.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Wow! Thank you for the replies, I appreciate that. I had only a #3 Phillips Craftsman screw driver, and it wanted to strip out the screen screws. I could not stick a pry bar into the blower housing to stop the flywheel from turning without damaging the engine tin. Instead, I reinstalled the four flange bolts, and stuck my pry bar between there, and was able to hold the flywheel with one arm. I was just about out the door, to get a bigger Phillips screw driver, when I thought I'd give my Dremel tool a try. I had me an idea.
IMG_4453.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG (3.65 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
So, I seen my Snap-On 3/8ths sitting there, and thought I'd cut two right angles 3/8ths wide in parallel to see if I could use the wrench and pry bar......
IMG_4450.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG (3.62 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
The wrench seemed to fit fine. Note that if you try this, be sure to cut less, because you can always take away more.............
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4452.JPG (3.27 MiB) Viewed 3126 times

IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG (3.29 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
The trick worked, and I got lucky! All four removed with little effort. I seem to think, the cuts relieved some of the pressure?

Here is another trick I figured out. I had lost the good bushing that supports the top of the engine tin on my Kohler K301AQS. Had a spare bushing from a Quiet Line engine mount, stuck it in there and what a good fit!
IMG_4454.JPG
IMG_4454.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 3124 times

Again, thanks for the support!
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!