Cub Flat Belt Pulley on Early Cub Cadet PTO

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Howard D
First and Last Name: Howard Demko

Re: Cub Flat Belt Pulley on Early Cub Cadet PTO

Post by Howard D »

It will bolt right on
Howard D.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

My PTO on myOriginal
My PTO on myOriginal
000_0599.JPG (292.56 KiB) Viewed 3073 times

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

Nope.....just unbolt the flange on the back of the tractor, get some slightly longer 3/8" bolts, and bolt the gearbox right on!. Nothing else needed!.
The cub cadets turn backwards too a regular tractor so the pulley will turn opposite, but other than that......they work great!. Also, they turn a lot slower so you dont have too worry about speed so much.....you can run the tractor a little faster on the throttle and this brings the power up better than idling.

You will be amazed at what all you can do with that!. Me and Geezer both have these setups and I run corn shellers, a buzz saw (gotta run wide open and it does a wonderful job). I also run a steel IH 10" burr mill and it grinds corn into meal really nice!. At deer season, we have a no. 22 meat grinder with a 2" wide flat belt pulley on it and we use the cub too grind the burger!....I cant tell you how slick that works!. I also have a 1913 galloway fodder cutter that we run at the shows too grind green corn stalks into fodder!......you can reduce a truckload of corn into a pile of chop very quickly!

There's a ton of stuff you can do.....I have run my 24" planer with it also....but its a little slow for that!, still works though!. I also power my 23" camelback drill press when I have large drilling too do.....talk about power!.

The rotation is changed by just adding a twist in the belt.......just remove the belt from the pulley, turn it over, and reinstall it....that easy!.

You do have too line up the tractor pretty close too keep the belt from walking back and forth and chock the tractor wheel too keep it tight!.

Caution!.....yes cub cadets have enough power too wrap the belt around the pulley and then the pulley becomes a winch sucking the tractor back too the implement or jerking the implement toward the tractor. So make sure things are bound into place..... other than that..... have fun!.

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

There is also 3 different pulley sizes offered by IH.....The smaller the pulley, the slower the speed but greater the power.....largest pulley will be a lot more belt speed with a little less power. Now I'm not sure what size pulley I'm running and I'm not sure if the largest pulley will fit the tractor without interfearing with fender clearances. I know I trimmed the rear fender a little on my wide frame 108 cub cadet too leave room for the thicker belts!. I dont think this would be a problem on the Originals!.
Also, keep check on the gearbox oil levels.......

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

The PTO turns backwards on both the Farmall/International Cub/Cub Lo-Boy (not the 154,185, 184 LoBoys) and the Cub Cadet. The Cub and LoBoy PTO turn at engine speed (up to 1800 RPM depending on the year model) and the Cub Cadet PTO will turn 514.28 RPM at 3600 engine RPM because of the 7 to 1 gear reduction on the front of the Cub Cadet transmission. That gear reduction also changes the the direction of the PTO on the Cub Cadet. The Cub Cadet engine turns CCW (as you stand looking at the front of the engine) and the gear reduction changes that to CW rotation for the PTO. The Cub engine turns CW and because there is no gear reduction before the transmission, the PTO also turns CW
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

bcuster wrote:Does anyone have any diagrams of the guts of the gearbox? How does it attach, or does it simply slide over the existing output shaft and bolt on? Same parts and simply bolt on regardless of model? If I buy a gearbox off of someone, are there internal parts I need to get from the Cub it's coming off of? Thanks for the help!
Here you go
Attachments
Image.gif
Image.gif (26.01 KiB) Viewed 3000 times