Help with a 10 hp Kohler

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Help with a 10 hp Kohler

Post by chzuck »

I overhauled a 10 hp Kohler and put it in my Cub 70 recently. I have a problem with the engine that I cannot seem to remedy. It has, for lack of a better word, what I call a blubber when it idles, half throttle, or full throttle. I have gone through the carb settings twice and checked the timing with a timing light. I did not notice the problem when under load mowing, just in a no load condition. I made a short video of it running at about half throttle so you can hear what I am talking about. Right at the beginning there is one "blubber", then about half way through until the end there are several more. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some pointers to solve this.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com/Cub100.wmv
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Help with a 10 hp Kohler

Post by BigMike »

Charlie, how loose is the throttle shaft in the carb bore? It may have a vacuum leak.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

BigMike wrote:Charlie, how loose is the throttle shaft in the carb bore? It may have a vacuum leak.
It is a newly rebuilt carb with the brass bushing installed to take care of a worn carb throttle shaft bore.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Below are listed the things I have done to this point and no change.
adjust carb
new points & condenser
changed out coil with know good one
checked valve clearance
checked governor setting
I need to get a new plug yet, but I am about out of options, other than an engine dis-assembly, which I don't plan on doing unless the problem gets a lot worse.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Do you have your spring mounted in their correct hole locations ?
DSCN4933.JPG
DSCN4933.JPG (401.4 KiB) Viewed 5385 times

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

If you have one available trying a different carb might save a lot of trouble. Not certain that's the issue but it does sound fuel related and every once in a great while you run across one that no amount of disassembly, soaking, or adjusting fixes. I've had one or two in probably over 100 messing with. Might be worth ruling out if you have one available.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Mayor
First and Last Name: Tony Woodrum

Post by Mayor »

Re-adjust the point.....start at .020 but leave the screw just a little loose....now then with the engine running, adjust the point by ear until the blubber goes away and you hear the engine smooth out!. Get it as good as you can and tighten the screw without moving anything!. Now run the engine wide open throttle and adjust the main jet screw on top the carb. Find the sweet spot that the engine runs it best!. Now idle the engine down....it may die!.....but keep it running until you adjust the idle screw and find the sweet spot!. This is the way I adjust all my kohlers and it always works. If it dont....then I go on to look for dirty points, bad plugs, stopped up emulsion tubes, bad gas, wrong float heights, bad head gaskets, bad carb gaskets, loose throttle shafts, etc.

A lot of old kohlers have warped heads and bad head gaskets.....its a very easy fix with a new head gasket and a flat file!.

Hope something here helps!

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Klapatta wrote:Do you have your spring mounted in their correct hole locations ?
DSCN4933.JPG
Yes, I have the spring in the 3rd hole on the governor arm, but in the top hole of the throttle lever. Didn't think that would change nothing.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Mayor,
A lot of those things you mentioned I have done. Carb was well cleaned, made sure all the tiny holes were clear, throttle bushing installed, and new parts installed.
Presently, I have the timing set with a timing light right in the center of the timing hole. When I was timing it, I noticed if the mark was on one side of the hole or the other, rpm dropped noticeable.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Not sure that I understand the statement, if the timing mark is bouncing around while the engine running I'd suspect a worn points push rod. Was it replaced ?

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Klapatta wrote:Not sure that I understand the statement, if the timing mark is bouncing around while the engine running I'd suspect a worn points push rod. Was it replaced ?
The timing mark was responding to my changing the point gap. The Mayor is good at setting up his cubs without a timing light. I basically ended up with the same result. When the timing mark is centered in the hole, the engine appears to run its best. One fellow I ask to look at the video said popping out the exhaust is an indication of a worn valve guide. His explanation made sense to me, but at this point I am going to run it as is.

JMech
First and Last Name: Jonathan Baker

Post by JMech »

When you say adjusted the carb, do you mean you set it to the starting point the book says and left it? Or did you tune it to run? (By turning the screws one way then the other, to find the best running point.)

Sounds to me like a fuel issue. But, you don't give much detail to your rebuild. Did you replace the valves? If you installed new, did you grind the new ones and the seats?

Could also be a bad ground on the condenser. Or even a bad condenser.

My money is on carb setting. I'd say its just a little rich. What plug are you running?