Quality control

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Quality control

Post by Jlaws »

I purchased these a few years back for an Original that I plan on restoring , and for all I know the guy that's making these may have fixed the issues I'm about to address .

I'm not sure who I got these from , they may be a member , maybe not , I'm not sure .
I'm not going to point a finger at anyone , and only have myself to blame for not asking a few questions before I bought them off ebay .
These were advertised as new reproductions and not NOS or used , so I guess I should have asked a few a few questions before I purchased them .

First off the mounting hole centers aren't even close to an Original headlight bracket , I have a few used brackets taken off cubs that I can compare these reproduction ones to .

Secondly the flattened end isn't nearly as flat as the factory ones I have , plus one of the pair that I purchased is split from being flattened .
My guess is that it wasn't heated before being flattened .

These issues can be fixed by welding in the existing holes and redrilling , and I can heat and reflatten the mounting end of the brackets , but truthfully I'll have as much time fixing these reproductions as I would have had if I made them myself from scratch .

I have also since found a cheap source for thick wall 7/8 inch tubing in an unlikely spot .
I have found and used old NF lift handle tubes , they are almost perfect for cutting into Original headlight brackets .
And if your like me and parted a few junk narrow frames , odds are you've got a few narrow frame lift handles laying around .
If you have a bearing press and a flame wrench to heat them , they are fairly easy to make .
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (169.41 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
O headlights 001.JPG
O headlights 001.JPG (657.6 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
O headlights 003.JPG
O headlights 003.JPG (889.73 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .