Cub Condo

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Cub Condo

Post by Jlaws »

I finally came to the conclusion that if I'm going to store cubs for a prolonged period of time waiting for restoration , that I was going to have to make shelves to free up floor space .
I got the ideal from Calvin Woodrey who used industrial shelves to stack some of his narrow frames in his Farmall/Cub den .
I was going to buy industrial shelving , but I had a abundant supply of 35 yr. old oak 4X4 skid lumber that was sitting in another shed , plus my brother in law that does patio decks donated some 2X8 treated lumber for the project .
The only pieces of lumber I had to purchase was two pieces of 3/4 inch thick plywood . :D

I don't know if any of you have ever tried to drive a nail into 35 year old oak , but it can't be done..... :lol:
I ended up pre-drilling almost all holes for the 4 inch lag screws used for assembly . I still managed to twist off a few screwheads running them into the oak , but wow this thing is sturdy .

Don't ask me how I got them up there , lets just say it involved two 14 foot long 2X10's and a 1000 lb electric winch , and I'm sure OSHA would have had a fit .... :lol:
Attachments
O headlights 005.JPG
O headlights 005.JPG (801.22 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Re: Cub Condo

Post by l palma »

Nice QL condo Jess,
any 982 condos going up soon?

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Nice! :beer:
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Jim Chabot years ago built shelves in his mansion in MA. He also loaded Cub Cadets on the back of his Cub Hauler and drove off the end of the tamp with his Original.

cubcadet1450
First and Last Name: Marty Mays

Post by cubcadet1450 »

Looks nice Jess!

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Lewis , my ceiling isn't high enough to stack 982's ..... :lol: There a little taller beast .
The 982's are all workers and used often . The ones I stacked aren't all running right now , but they will be one day . ;)
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Ky Greg
First and Last Name: Greg Laramore

Post by Ky Greg »

Very nice furniture, even if you have poor decorating skills.... :lol:
Adapt, Improvise and Overcome!

Nick
First and Last Name: Nicholas Magagnoli

Post by Nick »

Good idea Jess, looks good. :beer:

Ben Morong
First and Last Name: Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong »

Great minds think alike! But I had to use a come along.
Attachments
DSC04860.JPG
DSC04860.JPG (139.25 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
DSC04858.JPG
DSC04858.JPG (132.55 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
DSC04857.JPG
DSC04857.JPG (134.67 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
DSC04855.JPG
DSC04855.JPG (136.26 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Cub Cadet Originals -- Ayuh! (and a couple of 124's, 125's, and a 1650 -- Yep!)

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

I like the concept, but I don't like the short steep ramps and come-a-long. Maybe because I am a retired Air Force Ground Safety Manager has something to do with it. Jess is right. OSHA would have a field day if that were a business property. What was the winch and come-a-long connected to? Please don't tell me just the back of the platform. Like I said, I like the idea/concept, but be careful guys........
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

My ramps were a little longer , 14 ft. and the angle wasn't near that steep . I braced underneath about every 3 ft with some scrap 8 X 8 treated timbers I had . I temporary attached the ramps to the platform with steel splice plates so they wouldn't move . The other end of the winch was attached to the back side of the platform . I pulled my cubs up the ramps with the brakes on sliding the rear tires and they actually wouldn't roll back down the ramp if I had to reposition the winch .

Not the safest setup , but I was prepared to get out of the way if something went wrong..... :lol:

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

maybe loading said cub in truck then backing up to condo,then put on condo using short ramps.Not too steep that way.

jspicer
First and Last Name: Josh Spicer

Post by jspicer »

Neat idea Jess. Are all of those cubs 800's? If so, :shock: :beer:
Cubs in the den: 882 Diesel, 1512 Diesel, 1772 SGT Diesel..............I've got a smokin' problem

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Yeah , they are all 800's and mostly complete .
A few have had the small starters changed out to the larger one , but they all have the other 800 only parts .
I think I've even got all the mowing decks for them stored away .
They are like project # 27 on my very long ( to do ) list , and that's why they've spent a majority of the time hidden in the back corner of the cub den out of my way , patiently waiting for restoration .

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

Ben

Looking at your 3rd pic I'd be adding some joist hangers to the frame.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.64 KiB) Viewed 6468 times