our 68 Cub... will update as progress occurs

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
tc429
First and Last Name: Tim C

Re: our 68 Cub... will update as progress occurs

Post by tc429 »

what a couple days...we just got back from Cleveland Clinic after about a month on pins and needles, thinking Paula was going to be going back in a couple weeks for major heart thing(double valve replacement) and after a cath yesterday and some more tests today, the docs are confident she is stable as-is, and will hold off for surgery until things degrade- which could be years or never... the worry was radiation damage from lymphoma treatments in 2000 was what was causing stuff(heart attack/double bypass/ICD- and now valve leakage) BUT he said he's seen folks 5 yrs out with severe problems/calcified valves, etc- shes out 15 and only has minor aortic/moderate mitral valve issues, soooo, until things get to 'severe' they will hold off- and everyones body reacts differently to radiations long term damage, so they want to do a annual 'stress echo' at CC and just watch for changes... could take years to get worse, might stay as-is for who knows...but great news, especially as it sure had sounded like we were seeing the surgeon to schedule surgery- but tests said no, things are ok for now

thanks to folks who have been praying all would go well- this was sure a great day- instead of being somber and bummed out about the coming weeks, we're putting tires on the bikes to go for a ride

God is good!

edit- couldnt go for the bike ride, my knee was bugging me last week or three, thought it was fine till I went to pedal- no way, pinched nerve or something, couldnt pedal even one rev for the life of me- guess we'll be walking for a while :) kinda sucked, just put new tires and kickstand on the bike, been meaning to for years, and couldnt move aside from coasting...was joking around earlier, because my knee had been sore, best not be riding any wheelies this yr... guess I'm getting older than I thought, never ever thought I'd see the day I couldnt pedal a darn bike...soon again hopefully, but walking the towpath is good too :)

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good to hear things went well Tim! I too had to give up riding a bike for now....apparently the top of my femur collapsed a couple yrs back and they say i need a new hip.....im not in pain anymore.....so why bother! :beathorse:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

tc429

Post by tc429 »

hadnt updated anything in a while- still havent painted the cub, or made the new hood, or lots of other things... did get the forklift all finished, only tractor thing since though, was putting a bunch of screws in the tires of both the cub and the forklift...the cub was still spinning on icy stuff, put just one 1" screw in each tire lug, still rides smooth but much reduced getting stuck on icy patches...only needed a little bite :) put 3" screws in the forklift drive tires(solid) as it wouldnt even move if a little snow under it...much better, hopefully all will stay and i wont wind up with flat tires from driving over screws LOL.
love the little cub for pushing snow- amazing how great it works compared to the big diesel 4wd...turf tires are useless in snow. the chevron treads on the cub just GO. deeper the snow the harder it pushes, ice was its only issue. I did buy a old set of disc brakes, but gotta fab a split pedal and get them mounted still...with the screws in the tires, might just leave as-is...great little old tractor

tc429

Post by tc429 »

just looking thru old threads, thought id post a non-cub update... we live in a really remarkable time, the wifes valve issue mentioned almost 5 yrs ago held up pretty well till a trip out west last summer, started having some CHF stuff soon as we got home, anyway her cardiologist had her see a electrophysiologist guy anout this new pacemaker theyre messing with- called a CRT/ICD, thought she might be a candidate for getting some benefit from it- consensus being that by changing the sequence of her heartbeat, the bad valves could be made to function better... i read her leaky valves akin to a high overlap camshaft, blowback during overlap regurgitates ventricular blood back into the atria, but similar to leaking exhaust gasses back into the chamber... instead of a lopey idle, you get CHF symptoms... the old pacemaker was put in as a preventive thing, due to bad function numbers after the 08 heart attack/bypass- but it had never ever paced let alone fired the defibrillator...this new one has three leads(and the third lead has 4 selectable electrodes) and its pacing 100% of the time now to tightly resynchronize the upper/lower chambers to reduce the overlap/blowback thru the bad valves...they thought she might feel a difference after 6-8 weeks... 5 days later, her first trip to the YMCA, we walked a mile easy- she woulda been winded after even a lap prior- awesome difference.
also she got picked to be part of a research group at cleveland clinic, medtronic just came out with this model a yr ad a half ago, theyre still tweaking it to see what it can do, think shes only the second radiation heart disease patient in the study, and one of the youngest(45 now). anyways they have a 'belt' with 40 leads for a EKG setup(instead of 3~6) and the idea is for eventually developing software so the thing will 'autotune' itself by 'seeing' minute response differences to programming various parameters- i imagine eventually the goal being onboard autotuning/and auto learning what works for each patient- really nea stuff.
Neater yer, the research nurse running the study was involved last year with a 'trans atrial valve placement'(i think thats the name) for replacing mitral vaves via catheterization only- a hope we were first told was in development 4-5 years ago... great to hear progress is being made. the same day the wife got her new pacer, a 91 yr old neighbor got a new aortic valve via catheterization- theyve been doing that quite a few years thru the artery in the groin, beats the heck out of open-heart :) the mitral thing is new, the go thru a artery in the side of the chest, but otherwise similar to the aortic thing... guess its a very challenging cath, but theyre sorting it out- and the valves 10 yr life isnt as bad a problem, as they can but another inside the first one... by the time 20 yrs go by, who knows what other options will be out there...
we really live in in a remarkable time... theyre hoping this pacer will mask the valve issue to kick the can down the road a few more years, till the new procedures are more mature technology- the radiation heart disease is still a big wrench in the works, as the heart muscle is physically fragile, but for now, shes back to a feeling like a few years ago, really amazing stuff being done these days...

as far as the Cub Cadet, not much changed... snow plowing last year was awesome, no tire chains beating my back up- put a bunch of sheetmetal screws in the tire lugs, still rides smooth as silk, but snow and ice are no problem. I put 4" deck screws in the forklift tires too- had it out in the driveway last winter and it would just spin on 1/4" of snow- its a tank now, but scratches the driveway if turning sharply- see why they ban studs from the highways LOL. Havent even put the plow on the cub yet... here in ohio, we aint had any snow to speak of- which is fine by me...end of Jan/early Feb are traditionally the worst winter weather, t was nothing this year... expect next year the old weathers going to return though- NASA put out a study a few months ago showing we are heading into a 'solar minimum' part of a 700 year cycle, coming decades we might need some global warming for a few hundred years... wonder how many of these old Cubs will still be around for that - bet the old Kohlers will still be running if gasoline still exists LOL

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Tim, that was a lot of reading for me so early in the morning... Lol. Good news about the wife! Crazy where technology has gone. Thanks.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.