our 68 Cub... will update as progress occurs

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
tc429
First and Last Name: Tim C

our 68 Cub... will update as progress occurs

Post by tc429 »

this was my old friend Don Herwick's mower, he bought it new, used it till about 5 yrs ago when the fuel petcock vibrated out, poured gas on the coil, and pretty much burned it up...(**please note in pics, we relocated the coil forward after the fire- most wouldnt notice without mentioning, but it might be a decent minor improvement to consider...and if the petcock ever feels even a little loose, please snug that packing nut!!!) new harness, battery, clutch, throttle cable, throttle, belts, some steering parts, a warped up hood, blistered steering wheel, other stuff- and a lot of elbow grease for a 85 yr old guy with a bad back...lucky the thing didnt outright explode. the kids and i helped quite a bit in tinkering with it, got it running again...while buying parts, he also picked up a used plow for it- its first use was about 5 minutes of plowing i did with it, he couldnt lift the blade, so i made up a high leverage lift adapter- he used it about a minute to try it out, liked the lift effort a lot better, but steering was hard and he couldnt take the cold...we put it away and it sat ever since, I would just swing by before work and shovel off his drive/walks, and the kids would help mow...as his health went downhill his neighbor (who has a lawn service) took care of his yard.

Don served on the original Enterprise in WWII as a Aviation Machinists mate/2nd class/hydraulic whatever that meant...he said he never actually did much hydraulic work, mostly mechanical and patching holes in the plane he took care of when it got shotup, which happened a lot- Enterprise probably saw more action than any ship in history, and he lost a lot of friends...Anyways the last few years he had really opened up a lot about things on the ship, the kids and I loved hearing his often humorous and colorful stories, a lot of which didnt end well, but thats war...the first picture was 88 yr old Don the day the cub as running again, then the day we brought it home after his estate sale- we lost him shortly after his 90th birthday...

I plan to go back thru the whole thing, runs great but engine seals leak- heat scorched them, amazingly all the fire did was burn off the paint, wiring, melted parts of the carb, new external parts, it runs like new. had the pan off before we went far with it, internally it looked absolutely new bearings smooth/tight... knew seals were iffy, but he wanted to try it. he did the paint with spraycans it turned out well as he took the whole thing to bare metal, and he added the bulldog on the hood- very appropriate for him :)
Anyways I'll try to keep adding pics as things progress... the way these old Cubs are built, I'm guessing it will outlast me too- even if I am fortunate enough to live another 40 years to reach Dons age...the pic of Don riding it will be laminated and put under the hood, we'll try to keep it around a long time...

first things first, I have a thing about skinny tires...yeah i know they work better, but just had to get some more proportioned rubber on it...Vredestien 16-650-8 front and Deestone 23-1050-12 rears, think it wears them well... will adapt some fenders if I find a set that looks ok, might just need to fab a set, and some lights, a charge meter, etc... want to keep it kinda vintage looking, just dress it up a little.

Last edited by tc429 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tc429

Re: our 68 Cub... will update as progress occurs

Post by tc429 »

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving- take some time to look around to take stock in all the good things in our lives, and all the folks that helped make that possible, past and present... time to go eat some turkey...

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Not a huge fan of full round 'old' looking fender styles, and the 125 style angled sets almost look too 'new' to me... anyways after kicking around ideas, bought a tandem trailer fender to cut up- tires will stick out about 2", just going to try cutting the fender in half, a few inches off the fronts to be level with the footrests,, so it will be a round front, back raked up just a little, with rolled edges...will be a bit of work, but want to get the kids some welding experience too, think this could be a kinda fun project- just I got a lot of galvanizing to grind off before welding to keep from getting sick...

had it propped up on wood blocks to eyeball the fit, miss the old photoshop, the 'paint' crap that comes with windows8 sucks... but good enough to kinda trim it up/get a idea how it will look...thinking of rolling the back lip down like the outer edges, recessing small taillights... will recess a crescent shape bucket where the seat goes, keep the old pan seat (will get another cover for it). will weld up/filled/paint cub yellow, should mount kinda like one of the new 'pan' fenders, will bolt right on top of the frame... maybe :)

what you guys think?
Attachments
ps3.jpg
ps3.jpg (195.33 KiB) Viewed 13479 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

I like it! Thats going to b a very cool custom look. Plus add a little safety to the tractor for your kids. Tires also look good! Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oldskull
First and Last Name: Gilles Desroches

Post by Oldskull »

I like the front hood doggy ornament! (Mack) This scream "Get out of my way!" :lol:

tc429

Post by tc429 »

test fit a 'new' steering wheel... did some searching to see if adapter kits for my old wheel might be available, found some GREAT tips here:

http://www.gardentractorpullingtips.com/steering.htm

bought a chevy adapter off ebay, just like he said, diameters are right, splines are off, but tightening it on the steering shaft just broached a few spline teeth out of the hub, after pulling it back off to see the 'damage', was impressed that most of the teeth had bit in securely, was able to put it back on with minimal effort...

this old wheel had sentimental value to me... at 15 i got a job in a local restaurant, washing dishes/bussing tables for $2.90 a hour, first things I bought were for what would become my first car... I bought this wheel at Summit Racing, back when they had a little store on kennedy rd in Akron, their 'store' was about as big as some living rooms... they are now HUGE. anyway most what i earned went into the old car- a 69 2 door hardtop galaxie hardtop, my stepdad bought it when i was 8, from the local PD auction, it was rusty even then at 4 yrs old... but it had the 11:1 4 barrel 429 same as the other cop cars- this one had been the 'detectives car', the guy was a friend of Dads told him what a great running car it was... it caught fire after dad had changed a starter by himself, they were gonna junk it...I begged them not to, mom said if i got it running in a week, i could keep it... got diagrams at the library, the dishwashing job first check went to tape/wire/soldering iron/paint, had it cleaned up, rewired in a week- kept working on it till i turned 16... was a rusty junker on the outside, but interior was mint, and mechanically was the most powerful feeling car ive ever driven...that 429 would nail you to the seat almost painfully. wrecked it not a month after getting my license :( I kept the 429 and the steering wheel, someday the 429 is going in my 69 mustang- but ive been saying that for over 30 years now...

jeez, sorry for the book. as you can tell i kinda get sentimental about old junk... anyways, the wheel looks good to me on there, think Don woulda approved. took the cover off the pan seat- surprised it is stress cracked nearly full circle... so if replacing, pan or rectangular? took the one off our newer cub just sat it on there, i think it goes better with the fender shape- and the curved up rear radius gave me another thought- rolling the 'soon to be' new fender rear lip upwards kinda like the 69 mustang trunk line- think it would look great with the newer style seat, yet the round front still kinda looks oldschool too... moving the fenders 1" out from the frame lets me just barely see the rear tread from the seat, and will allow the option of fabbing some streetrod ike bobbed steering fenders- with the last rib of the fronts showing/same width as rears... dunno why, just like seeing the tires jut out a little on the tractors )

wheels will be white, fenders yellow, thinking of a new hood, but gotta find a way to roll the thing- thinking raking the front forward a few inches to make a 'eyebrow' over the headlamp area, yet otherwise as stock looking as possible. also thinking about making a tailpipe to run the muffler out the back, if a path can be found to clear the deck/blade hardware... we'll see. probably will be using just ugly as-is this winter for pushing snow as needed, will be working on fabbing the fenders up, doubt will be painting it before spring though...too much to do with other stuff too. getting kinda excited about this little old cub though- was telling the kids, might put a hitch on our 65 galaxie (Don's brother Ben was my neighbor for over 20 years, he left it to me- some pics of that mess here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/90822467@ ... 834104765/ ), find a 60's looking trailer to haul the cub to some of the old fairs where they have old tractors...well, providing we get it all redone and looking good again :)

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Like the fender idea; I did the same with single axle fenders. I purchased them, but haven't fitted them yet.
PTWannaHave

tc429

Post by tc429 »

just a little update- I see why folks love these old cubs so much, spent a half hour out plowing snow tonight (the new tires are awesome- no more spinning/bouncing from the chains, the ribbed fronts dont slide, etc) that little thing is a workhorse...only 7hp, but was plowing in 3rd gear even, just chugs right along, the old Koehler started right up even though its like 5 degrees outside... the clutch on these things are smoother than most cars, do kinda wish reverse was a little quicker.

the new(old) foam steering wheel is at a great height, and not at all slippery like the old flat one- but I need to bush under the adapter- the top bearing popped out once, as there is about 5/8 between the adapter and bearing...intended to make a collar just for looks, but now see it will be needed too. definitely need to get after the fenders, had my feet against the rear tires a couple times.

really impressed with how effortlessly this thing pushes- the few hundred bucks for new rubber feels justified too- like the look, love the traction and easier steering

tc429

Post by tc429 »

son #2 used Don's old cub tonight... the new tires work great
Attachments
plowing.jpg
plowing.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 13261 times

tc429

Post by tc429 »

got a tiny bit done today, cutup and temporarily fitted the fenders- going to move them back 1" so the radius ends up concentric to the tire, got some sheetmetal bits to weld in... was going to paint cub yellow, but now kinda thinking- old Don had painted the stripes on the hod, i was thinking about original decals, but then the bulldog/stripes/orange golfball were all Don's input, think I'll just redo his design on a straighter hood...and maybe do the fenders mostly cub yellow, but something on at least the top/back of the fenders to match his white/blue/black... we'll see
Attachments
fender fitup2.jpg
fender fitup2.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 13203 times
fenderfitup.jpg
fenderfitup.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 13203 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Those rear fenders look "FAST" lol. What do u have for front rubber on there...maybe u said earlier but i did not look? I need new for my 127 as im upgrading to wider rims and they look perfect for steering traction....and "coolness" :beer:

tc429

Post by tc429 »

dag1450 wrote:Those rear fenders look "FAST" lol.
thanks, dunno about fast, but hope once theyre finished, and painted up they wont look too out of place on the old thing :)

What do u have for front rubber on there...maybe u said earlier but i did not look? I need new for my 127 as im upgrading to wider rims and they look perfect for steering traction....and "coolness" :beer:
heres a link to the ebay store i got them from-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-170-60-8- ... 519ee7e998

and a link to a thread in here when I was asking about tubes-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6114
Tom Scott had some nice input, mentioned he runs same on two of his machines...I did run the tubes by the way. ive only pushed snow so far, but they steer easier(?) and dont slide with the blade tipped
I plowed once with the stock tires, even with the blade one click over it would steer the tractor- with these it barely slipped at all even with the blade at full angle, huge difference. weird thing is they steer as if its got power steering- and even after swapping to the smaller steering wheel, it still easy as heck to steer :)

tc429

Post by tc429 »

anyone ever rigged a posi unit in these things? on the least bit of ice, one wheel spins and she wont move without a shove...would sure be nice to selectively lock the rears

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Tim, Thats where tire chains come in to play! Would a locker b good...YES. What if both wheels r on ice.......your done. Get a set of tire chains and u will b pushing that snow like crazy. :beer: Dave

tc429

Post by tc429 »

well, found out the oil leak source- and more :(

looks like when he had it apart, ol Don didnt tighten a few bolts, the 4 holding the crank bearing plate had all fell out- one was ground yp under the flywheel, others were laying in the shroud- the shroud was all holding the nose together...last time I tried to use it, it started smoking bad, really puking oil- worse yet the nut for the drive hub was loose, and the hub had been wobbling, wallowed out the dowel pin, broke a piece out of the flywheel, and damaged the aluminum hub...amazed it held plowing over the winter.

I'll be looking for a new hub- drilled a new pin hole in the flywheel, the tiny bit broke out shouldnt screw up balance that close to center- but do worry the aluminum hub will bust out eventually...

while it was apart, had noticed it didnt steer all the way to the hard stops either way- redrilled the steering knuckle to get full lock-to-lock steering, turns a lot tighter now...also repainted the ford blue engine back to cub yellow...

the bearing plate amazingly didnt show any wear around the register, and 'no shake' fit still in the block- when I first saw the bolts laying in there, figured the aluminum register woulda been beat to death on the backside, but no...gasket wasnt even damaged(but had a new set/seals anyways). hopefully got lucky on this one- those old Kohlers were built well :)
Attachments
OOPS1.jpg
OOPS1.jpg (166.9 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
OOPS2.jpg
OOPS2.jpg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
OOPS3.jpg
OOPS3.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
OOPS4.jpg
OOPS4.jpg (176.95 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
OOPS5.jpg
OOPS5.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
Last edited by tc429 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tc429

Post by tc429 »

rest of pics from last night...no more oil leaks :)

what I thought would be a few hours work killed the whole day, didnt get it cleaned up/put away till like 10:30 pm.
anyways it was a gorgeous day to work outside in the sun yesterday- sounds like its gonna be nice all week too... soooooo glad the snow is gone, was another long winter in ohio...
Attachments
STEER.jpg
STEER.jpg (52.57 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
YELLOW1.jpg
YELLOW1.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 13061 times
YELLOW2.jpg
YELLOW2.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 13061 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow....that stinks, but good job on the "speed racer" repair! That was fast! That would take me at least a couple weeks, i find the older i get the more i sit an plan out my attack....more than needed! :lol:

tc429

Post by tc429 »

mowed some tonight, MAN did redrilling the knuckle help the turn radius- I can hit axle stops both ways, before couldnt hit either... bet it turns 2' tighter :) still dont compare to our ford/newholland- a shame more tractors didnt utilize that 'supersteer' layout- but then too not sure if it would just plow if not for 4wd...

as it is with the bigger tires, no steering angle increases remain- got 1/4" from steering rod/frame on the locks... so about as good as it gets- but good enough.

tc429

Post by tc429 »

mowed with the cub for about an hour tonight, let the kid use the big tractor while I bounced around on the old cub- probably the hardest the poor old thing ever worked in its life- our back yard is about 3 acres, I doubt I did half what the big one did (38" vs 72" cut) but it did great. no leaks, no overheating, no issues at all- and the grass was high/kinda wet, a workout even for the big diesel- our older cub wouldnt have liked it, and it was a 8 or 10 horse,and 20 years newer... the more Ive used Don's old cub, the more I see why folks loved them- they are little workhorses :)

I need a new seat- the pan seat has a crack anyways, but a softer seat would be nice especially till we get things rolled out better, parts of the yard felt like speedbumps...when doing the fenders, might look at adapting a floating seat mount like the adjustable/sprung seat on the big tractor and gonna drop the tire pressure way down on the rears- surely a little butt suspension would make it a bit easier on the old back :) and the new steering angle is great- steering feels a lot tighter, yet still easy to steer great little tractor.

I had some issue starting out with clumping, asked around, some suggested running harder- ran about 3/4 throttle, and it did much better- but still think when I redo the deck(thin along the back edge on exit side- rusted underneath) I'll 'widen' the back at a little 'wedge', wider at the exit end(will need to bend the scalp wheel mounts to allow a angled rear flange) to help clippings flow better- but its not really a must- just figure if the deck needs a new back half, might as well open the chute a bit along the way- and will try out some new blades too- these have been sharpened a lot over the years... Don had under a acre at his place, and he was a stickler for taking it easy on equipment- he would mow twice if grass was too tall at all, and doubt he ever ran past 1/2 throttle- but she did great, plenty of power, no heat issues at all... and my old foam steering wheel is a huge improvement- a few inches taller, thick non-slip rim, overall better position than the low/flat wheel- while not proper for originality, it looks and feels right at home... definitely want to mount fenders soon, before letting the kids run it- the lug tires could easily catch a boot- I had my feet on them several times, could imagine a few folks brobably got their feet tangled up in the old fenderless ones over the decades- think the footboards are a bit 'flat' also, miht look at moving the lower 'pin' mount under the frame- just gotta keep the attachment points for deck as-is...just think if they were tipped up another inch, maybe with a heel plate to keep feet from sliding back...just thinking aloud, really nothing that bad about driving, just used to a much larger machine with much softer ride- but those go hand in hand... do think the little cub will be used more than just for snowplowing- its a good little mower too :) muddy parts of the yard, the big 4wd tractor tends to sink its front tires, the cub just floats over with its new wider tires, will cut down on rutting a lot... was gnna roll the yard, but somebody (me) didnt drain the roller last year, its ruined...

anyways, the old cub will be a nice addition, think old Don would be proud... I have Don's brother Ben's old pride and joy too- he left me his 65 galaxie...just had to mention, as 50 years ago today Ben had bought it. we lost Ben in 2004, was glad he got to see his old car redone and drive it once more before he left this world, think I'll drive it to work today, havent had it out yet this year. Sure miss those old guys, a couple of the best friends/neighbors a guy could ever have had... only been at this house about 6 yrs, lived at the old place for 22...but just found out we lost another neighbor recently, she just turned 90, seemed fine when we stopped over on her birthday...stil have two older/healthy neighbors here, 93 and 85, hope they hang around for a long long time to come- love talking to folks from their generation.

gonna be a early summer for us, just found out the wifes got a major ordeal coming up...she had non-hodgkins lymphoma at 27, radiation treatments left side effect... heart attack/double bypass at 36(our youngest was only 7 months at he time- that sucked), pacemaker ICD a few months later, then a stent 2 yrs ago...now mitral valve failing- Cleveland Clinic yesterday all day, good news/bad news... second heart surgeries, especially after radiation treatments, are risky, but a 3rd would be out of the question- so if going in to fix mitral valve, from what they know now, the aortic vale will fail from radiation damage within 3-4 more years...so a pretty complex double valve relacement is needed, definitely not ideal on damaged tissue...prayers appreciated. good news, shes asymptomatic currently, likely a benefit of being small at 5', the heart dont need to work as hard as in taller people, so shes got about a month before going in for heart caths(both sides) to check things out, stent if necessary, and CT scans to track lung/scar tissue damage, map out old tumor areas- they have time to get everything as optimal as possible, and a accurate roadmap of scar tissue to avoid to minimize surprises ahead of time... sucks, yes, but could be a lot worse- good news is at only 42, she's got a pretty good shot at getting everything fixed once again, but with metal valves, will wind up on coumadin for rest of her life- we have friend with two daughers with bleeding disorders, know theres another set of issues completely to watch for there... anyways, gonna try to get our summer in early, as at best she will be looking at 6 weeks recovery, so we have 4-6 weeks to get out with the kids and see/do some summertime family stuff beforehand...

anyways, sorry for writing a book again... sometimes I get to typing and its almost a form of therapy :)
tim

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Tim Wow! To say u guys have been though a lot sound like an understatement! Life is hard enough.....then u add in health issues like she has....WOW! PRAISE the LORD! Seems like some prayers have already been answered with all u have been though, But yes i sure will keep u guys in my prayers for these upcoming procedures!
Sure sounds like u r enjoying Dons old tractor :lol: Dave

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Tim - Prayers for you, your wife and family. You can type all the books you want here. We also have the "Prayer Chapel" sub-forum, anything like this is welcome there!

Hang in there and keep praying!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Dave/Tom- prayers much appreciated :)

wife was napping, so kids and i were just keepin busy, piddling around the garage- the seat pan on the cub was cracked really bad- almost full circle, was looking at replacing, with a suspension mount/seat, but all the ones I saw were too tall/long... but looking at it, noticed a alternative to the rough ride:

most of your weight rests at the rear of the seat, and thats over the radiused part that dont flex... tried flipping it 180, too soft, had to move seat up one hole- perfect for my 220 pound butt... also slid back a ways, feels a lot more comfortable, fits the kids still too. Don had already had the seat in the rear hole, and spring slid full back- he was tall, about 6'4", and had to be relatively crowded on there- feels like a much bigger machine now :) I had to drill two more spring clamp holes, and welded nuts underneath while the welder was out...
long term, maybe the added springiness will fatigue the spring, but I doubt it- the thing is built like a tank- noticed something cool too, all the bolts have the IH logo on them :)

know purists might squawk about the goofy steering wheel, wider tires, backwards seat fitment...sorry :) dont want to turn a vintage machine into a clown car, but think it will look alright once finished, and be a lot less backache to drive- and except for two holes,and the new hole in the steering linkage, its all reversible...

it rides like a cadillac now compared to before, and seat/steering position far more comfortable, especially on a bumpy yard. once the goofy fenders go on, the backwards seat mount wont show anyways, might get to them this week, we'll see... just keeping busy, enjoying getting outside for a bit, kids out playing in the yard instead of on video games...

Dave, a few post/months back, you mentioned tire chains- I got to thinking... we rebuild machines at work, the big #80 chain for counterbalance always gets replaced- thinking about getting a few strands of old chain, linking to fit over a deflated tire, weld some 'lugs' on to lock with the chevron tread blocks, and make some smooth rolling tirechains without side tensioners and that still cant come off unless tire deflated...links circumferential running would roll smooth, but not bite very well- but bet some cross links could be added at the same thickness, still giving some bite without the thump-thump-thump ride I had with chains before- I ran chains on original tires, man the bouncing was killing my back... just thinking aloud about some removeable 'steel recaps' almost, with a constant thickness via the circumferential chains, and some same thickness cross bars or chains- thoughts?
other thing I'd thought about years ago was rolling a ring, welding in a hoop shape, adding some roundstock along the edges to lock onto the tire- again, deflate tire/slip on/inflate...then just weld angle iron chevrons with a center ring for smooth ride- I think a steel tire might work well?
Attachments
reversed seat0.jpg
reversed seat0.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 13003 times
reversed seat3.jpg
reversed seat3.jpg (755.15 KiB) Viewed 13003 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow....Tim, with all u have going on....u seriously have time to think about all these crazy ideas for tire chains! :? click buy it now on ebay or craigs list for a used set...prolly $30 and 15 minutes. :lol:

tc429

Post by tc429 »

dag1450 wrote:Wow....Tim, with all u have going on....u seriously have time to think about all these crazy ideas for tire chains! :? click buy it now on ebay or craigs list for a used set...prolly $30 and 15 minutes. :lol:
yeah... I like to get sidetracked often, easier to daydream about 'stuff' than dealing with things somedays...

tc429

Post by tc429 »

our seemingly never ending mowing season has begun...some years every decent day, some years every few weeks- but so far grass is sure loving this weather :(

mowed quite a bit with the cub tonight after taking a few minutes to cut out some cardboard fender mount templates, the reversed spring on the seat is aaaahhhh compared to before... let a lot of air out of the rear tires too, nice riding little machine :) new seat cover showed up too...Don's old seat still had melted front- last of the fire damage is gone(well except for the wavy/warped hood).

yesterday it had rained early, couldnt mow, but warmed up enough to head to the canal towpath for a walk, got really nice all at once both this and last year- no spring really, just winter->summer, but thats ok... usually our yard is muddy till end of may at least- but man is the grass growing fast...5 acres to keep up with, I'll be glad when school gets out so the boys can have more time to keep up with it. if like last year, by June it will be bone dry and get back to mowing every couple weeks instead of every decent day...

pic of the wife/kids/pup getting some towpath miles in on a nice day- our little dog just turned 10, she was pooped after a 3 mile walk :)
00 DSC00102.jpg
00 DSC00102.jpg (119.58 KiB) Viewed 12973 times
the little guy on his throttle restricted ATV-thinks he is a racer even at 10 mph :)
00 DSC00111.jpg
00 DSC00111.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 12973 times
and the new seat cover on the cub...
00 seat DSC_0549.jpg
00 seat DSC_0549.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 12973 times

tc429

Post by tc429 »

got the fenders mounted- temporarily in black just to cover the bare metal... made 10ga sideplates/and flange- the flange mounts via seat tower and side plates by transaxle bolts, pretty solid, no more feet in the tires :) gonna make a box for he rear between fenders eventually, and add lights soon.

fenders still need sand/fill/paint cub yellow, but useable by the kids for now at least... I was afraid of letting them use it fenderless with the lug tires/deck... I'm a bit of a worry wart, could just picture bad things happening. will likely stay as is for the summer, till a new hood is fabbed, and the whole thing gets repainted...
Attachments
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 12958 times
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 12958 times
side.jpg
side.jpg (505.76 KiB) Viewed 12958 times
IMG_20150507_200006.jpg
IMG_20150507_200006.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 12910 times
Last edited by tc429 on Wed May 13, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

I like the fenders! Also like the bulldog on the hood. Thanks for sharing!

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Doog M wrote:I like the fenders! Also like the bulldog on the hood. Thanks for sharing!
thanks- the bulldog was my old buddy Don's doing- if you'd have known him, it was very fitting... he made it to 90 yrs old, was putting a roof on his 2.5 story house when he was 89, cancer finally got him...the kids and I sure miss that guy

wifes workin tonight, got some never ending mowing to do, maybe after will look at making the toolbox for between fenders...

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Well, wife had her heart cath this morning, went well, but temporarily still leaves another day -at least- before any answers...

great news, her heart has sprouted excellent collateral arteries on its own, one bypass graft already occluded(they often only last for months- to give heart time to rerout things on its own- didnt know that) but he said it wasnt just good flow, but very-very good- better than any graft could ever do- and its feeding across part fed by other bypass also, in my thinking, thats good too, as if it eventually occludes, a alternate path is already there... one minor blockage- 30% not enough to worry about now- they can easily fix that during surgery. that blockage is feeding the lines feeding the new collateral arteries, so think they will likely want to do something there eventually...
Mitral leakage is only moderate- even if exercising, should still be in upper range of moderate, not cause too many problems...so as it goes, its all great news... but now anticipation of what it means- does it mean they can wait on valves, or does it just mean theyve got a great candidate to work on now??? probably wishful thinking but kinda hoping they'll say, 'lets just wait a few years' - but it would be nice in a way...long as if it gets worse(as we were told it would already) it wont complicate a already big surgery... tomorrow, back for some more non-invasive tests, and get to talk to surgeon, hopefully will get some answers on timetable/options... the not knowing what/when is the hardest part... but for now, will sleep better tonight, knowing one kinda big step is already taken, and that it shows good things, not bad/worse...been a long day, had to be up there at 530, so 4am came early this morning as nerves kinda made a short night anyways...at least tomorrows appointments arent 'red-eye' times :)

anyways thanks for good thoughts and prayers- all most sincerely appreciated :)

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Tim - Glad to hear the great news! Praise the Lord for all this good news, and keep praying your way through this!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><