strange Original

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

strange Original

Post by wdeturck »

I recieved these pictures from Nate Boulin who sent me an E-mail. He is also on Red Power Magazine site. He told me in the E-mail that it came with a reinforced M&W grill that he wanted to sell. I emailed him back that that grill was probably from the M&W heavy duty mower attachment(no picture).
It has a Brnly spring assist correct for an Original <br />original
It has a Brnly spring assist correct for an Original
original
image.jpeg (580.24 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Nate had asked what I saw wrong and I thought the seat was wrong but just over padded
Nate had asked what I saw wrong and I thought the seat was wrong but just over padded
image_1.jpeg (475.31 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Strange pull start motor? could those be Kohler numbers?
Strange pull start motor? could those be Kohler numbers?
image_2.jpeg (477.51 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
It is an early Original
It is an early Original
image_3.jpeg (641.94 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
It has been converted to an Electric start!
It has been converted to an Electric start!
image_4.jpeg (498.24 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Here you can see the starter button
Here you can see the starter button
image_5.jpeg (623.16 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Starter motor and the correct spindles.
Starter motor and the correct spindles.
image_6.jpeg (640.48 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Strange bracket that he thought was to keep your feet from the wheels. Not hole in the bracket so I think it's for some implement I never seen
Strange bracket that he thought was to keep your feet from the wheels. Not hole in the bracket so I think it's for some implement I never seen
image_7.jpeg (521.15 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Picture shows the odd motor
Picture shows the odd motor
image_8.jpeg (577.73 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
He knew that the decal wasn't the original decal that have embossing on them and I think they say IGNITION on right side.
He knew that the decal wasn't the original decal that have embossing on them and I think they say IGNITION on right side.
image_9.jpeg (490.93 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Another view of bracket?
Another view of bracket?
image_10.jpeg (569.2 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Attachments
I don't know why the picture but he did say the spindle was bent? It dose show that they did have a deck on it .
I don't know why the picture but he did say the spindle was bent? It dose show that they did have a deck on it .
image_11.jpeg (655.17 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
front view shows hole in the hood. He didn't mention it. Has the mower deck front cover.
front view shows hole in the hood. He didn't mention it. Has the mower deck front cover.
image_12.jpeg (590.29 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: strange Original

Post by Jlaws »

William ,
That is an odd engine . The only 8 hp. cub that uses that type of starter and flywheel shroud arrangement is the 800 cub cadet . But that isn't an 800 engine because it doesn't have the hole in the flywheel shroud for the rubber air breather tube . All the cubs up to the quietlines used a starter generator . The QL's series was also the first to use a solid state charging system .

Your guess is as good as mine as to what that engine came out of , but it appears to be 1970's vintage .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Merk
First and Last Name: Dale Merkle

Post by Merk »

Could it be an engine from a john deere 208?

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

it all loots to be stock kohler stuff welders generators etc. used engine parts like this, at one time you could ask kohler for a shelf engine and you could buy basically what you see. wheel horse was one of the first to go to the bendex type starter when IH was still Pre-qa narrow frame! the parts look like the ones found on it. The 800 and 208 used many of the same parts starter a/f and i believe the muffler casting. the hole in the hood appears to be for a gas tank that may have ben changed out when the engine work was done. the data tag and recoil both paper to be kohler..... i can not explain the plate where the rear/frame meet. Maybe it was part of the golf cart attachment?

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

This Original had what Nate described as an M&W reinforced grill and I think they might of had the Heavy Duty Mower like I had on Edith. He wants to restore it to be Original but I would restore it with that engine in it and maybe have some other things with it to tie it to M&W Mower try to find out what that bracket was used for. He thought it was to keep your feet out of the wheels but I think some thing was mounted iv the holes. I hope Paul Bell gives his thoughts on it.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

William ,
I've been looking at that bracket that's mounted on the reduction housing .
It looks to wimpy for an implement .
I was thinking it might be some sort of support for a snow cab ?
Just a guess .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

William,
I can't offer much help except to say the top number on the blower housing data plate is the engine serial number, the second row of numbers is the engine spec number and is for a 7 hp K161 engine used in a recoil start Original, and may not be the original data plate that belongs on that blower housing. The blower housing appears to be one shown in the Kohler master parts manual as part number 230250 for variation numbers 2,4, or 83, or P/N 230653 for variation number 30, or P/N 230760 for variation number 8, all for models K161- L161, 7hp engines. I don't see any reforcement for/on the grill. Like Jess, I think the brackets in front of the foot rest appear to be homemade and for some kind of cab or encloser.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........