NF blue seat trim opinions/answer

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

NF blue seat trim opinions/answer

Post by Jlaws »

I've got a 122 with the original fiberglass seat with the blue trim , but being over 40 years old I'm sure its faded with age .
I've got a 123 seat that has a crack in it and is missing the trim , and plan on repairing the seat with resin and fiberglass matting .

My question , Is the trim around the seat a medium blue or is it turquoise ?

I've found a couple of places on epay that sell it either by the foot or in 10 ft. long strips , but I need an answer or opinion on the correct color .

By the way I didn't know the trim was called Windlace and almost gave up on finding it searching for blue trim . :lol:

Heres a couple that I found :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121379301319?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-70s-FORD-GM ... 1319&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Windlac ... 5280&rt=nc
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: NF blue seat trim opinions/answer

Post by ksanders »

My grandma had an old 125 at one time. It always set inside and was way above good condition but motor was tired. Trim on that original untorn seat looked almost identical to the turquoise (3rd ebay link). Best I can tell from the pictures at least. Whether or not it faded I don't know. It wasn't dark blue.

Nice find on windlace by the way
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Cool, I learned something today, "Windlace". So, that leads to a question...

I guess that is the same type stuff that trims the sheet-metal around the bottom of my 1872 seat. The seat was new just a few years ago, but the windlace is just a little short, so the termination metal clip at the front where the ends meet is not quite long enough. A second or better yet, longer clip would make everything ok.

So, any idea on the clip to terminate the windlace? (I haven't Googled yet, so be easy on me if it is as easy as "windlace termination clip"!) Maybe a type of aglet??? (Go look that up! Something you touch probably everyday!)

Jess, you could become the Windlace and Tailight King! :lol:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Tom , I have no ideal what that clip is called .
I just plan on painting a regular black terminating end clip the proper blue color . I'm just going to try and match the blue paint as best I can .

Right now I've got some free time on my hands taking care of my sick wife , so whenever I'm not taking care of her or doing household choirs I'm searching the internet for oddball cub stuff .

I knew that I wasn't the only person looking for that hard to find blue edge seat trim ( windlace ) ...LOL

I've also been doing some serious thinking on how to get that white vinyl seat material to lay flat in the fiberglass seat without wrinkles or a seam sewed into it .

I've got a couple of ideals and if it works I'll let you guys in on it . ;)
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Jess, I don't know if it will help you with the color, but a good friend that worked for IH in Louisville, gave me two NOS seats about 4 years ago. I'll try to attach a picture of the one I put on the wife's 122.
seat_122_after.jpg
seat_122_after.jpg (206.12 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
And here's both seats:
seat_122_after.jpg
seat_122_after.jpg (206.12 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Under edit: I don't know why that one picture shows up twice. It doesn't look that way before I post it. Moderators can leave it or change it but I can't see the problem.
Attachments
NOS_seats.jpg
NOS_seats.jpg (236.49 KiB) Viewed 4549 times

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Jess,
If you have one of the rubber seats from a 102, the paint on the blue band around those seats is a very close match to the blue windlace. If you have one it may be faded but I have found that the band is painted on both sides, so if you take it off the inside (next to the rubber) should be unfaded and show you what the original color was. The ends of that band are just folded around the front of the seat.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

Post by wham »

On the same subject is there replacement material for the seat available and what is that material? Leather, pleather, Naugahyde, etc. ? I have a 124 with the fiberglass in good condition and the blue trim is still there just need the padding and cover material.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (992.93 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I'd say the 3rd ebay link is probably the closest. But it even looks a little dark to me. Mcmaster Carr carries a pretty good selection of the stuff
but I don't think they have colors. They may have the clips.

When I refurbished my 102 seat I used ford grabber blue to paint the metal band. It is very close to the original decals (from before CCC got funky with changing the blue color).
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

You may be able to take your seat to an upholstery shop and have the blue trim died to the correct color. I will try to find some pics of the seat on my old 124. I had the seat completely redone at a vinyl shop. In order to get the vinyl to lay flat, I think he actually used an adhesive or tape between the vinyl and the padding. In addition, I had the original windlace still on the seat and he actually knew the color and redied it the proper color. I think all told, new padding, vinyl work, trim died, everything total cost me about $100-120. Keep in mind this was probably 7-8 years ago, but quite honestly, I was extremely pleased with the outcome.