Double lead coil for 782 K17

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
shumway072
First and Last Name: Steven Curtis

Double lead coil for 782 K17

Post by shumway072 »

Hi All, Just became a member last night, I have caught the cub bug I guess you could say. anyway I have restored a 1974 Quiet Line 1000. Which was fairly easy, but now have purchased a 782 with K17 Series 2. Everything is there for restoration except.....The 2 wire lead coil . I have seen a few new ones on line for 200.00. Is there any other alternative to this or any used ones out there? I don't mind buying a new one later, but I'm not even sure the motor will hit. Thanks for any help

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Double lead coil for 782 K17

Post by Klapatta »

Hi Stephen, Welcome !
David Kirk is a Forum member here, and he sells his Dual Super Coil for less than half the amount you quoted.
You could contact him through our membership roster or you could go to a search engine and enter Kirk Engines.
Either way he is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his products ! Hope this helps

shumway072

Post by shumway072 »

Thank you very much for the advise and direction. looks like that will be my next purchase and cross my fingers on the motor being good.

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Post by dale campbell »

you should check the compression on both cylinders before you buy a coil just in case there are internal problems

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

You can buy new aftermarket coils in the under $100 range. I bought one for $68 or 78 or something from Pat small engines last year and it's held up string. I went to find the link for you and it's out of stock at the moment though. The OEM one on their site was $141.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

shumway072

Post by shumway072 »

Thanks for all the advise, I was told today by the guy I got the 782 from that he thought the motor was fine, just sat up for past 9 years in tool shed. They had 2 782s ( got them new in 1981 as incentives for buying new international tractors and combine for there farm). the other his nephew has and that's where the original coil went to. The Super coil from Kirk Engines seems to be they way to go, drain and change fluids and see what happens. Hopefully that will let me know a little about the life potential of the motor.
Thanks for all post guys, -Steven

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

A Harley Davidson sportster coil will work in a pinch, but will not mount in the stock position.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

I have new aftermarket and factory kohler coils avail.
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com