982 just wondering???

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
oldgreygoose
First and Last Name: Danni Smith

982 just wondering???

Post by oldgreygoose »

Hi guys , it's me again.
Wondering if a reasonably handy person can replace the whole rockshaft /implement lift assembly, and how.

Is a mule drive the bracket already attached to my.blade and blower to facilitate attachment to front of tractor?

Is the fender pan interchangeable for all 82's?
And one query about my 1042..does anyone know if a windshield/ cab is available for it?
Thanks...especially Tom, Dave, Jess...lol thought you were rid of me , didn't you? Well you know what they say about the bad penny..
I'm baaacckk!
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.
Cub Cadet 1966 102 Garden Tractor, and a Green forbidden to mention with lots of attachments.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Re: 982 just wondering???

Post by pattonacres »

rock shafts can be a project. not imposable they just take time
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Ok I have the time..the patience( she says. Gritting her teeth and remembering Grandpa best cuss words), but maybe not tools.Does this job require a cutting torch , or a Sawzall, as I have neither.
Where is an instruction manual on this procedure?..and do you carry the parts I need?
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.
Cub Cadet 1966 102 Garden Tractor, and a Green forbidden to mention with lots of attachments.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I just had the dubious honor of this job myself when mine snapped while plowing. Take the tunnel cover off, you'll see where it attaches to the lift cylinder along the right of the frame. Unhook all of that. Fenders come off easy enough. You'll see one or two shear pins in the rockshaft that come out. A good punch is welcomed because they need some good licks to come loose. After all this struggle you have to get the inner shaft loose from the outer deck lift parts you drove the pins out of. I scrape all the paint off the shaft and soak it with oil. Depending on where it broke you might be able to weld it. I welded mine far better than factory and all is good now. Total job for me maybe 1.5-2.0 hours including welding it.
If it's a ccc 982 I beleive there's a bit different outer deck lift part but same concept. Been a while since I've messed with one of those though.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

:beathorse: :banghead: :dontknow: Hi Danni..... So i was sure over the summer u said "forget those turkeys on the web site" and took this to the dealer to have it ready for this winter??? But i guess that was just a dream i had.lol My best advice for u would b to get it to the dealer! I know this sounds contradictory to what our little web site is about...... but i do not want to see u start the project then hit a road block with rusted bolts or not having the correct tools, torches sawzalls and welders might b a must.....then ask the dealer to finish. I dont think thats a good scenario, taking a box of parts in and saying.....can u fix this. They could even shy away from it at that point cause they may feel its missing parts or who knows why.

Good the see u back messin with the cubs again but........not this again! lol Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Danni, not sure where exactly in Fort Wayne you are but maybe give these guys a call,
http://grsalesservice.com/index.php?opt ... :newsflash

Great people and maybe they could pick up and deliver if you cannot haul it.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Danni - Good to hear back from you. I think Dave is right on with his advice. The rockshaft can be a difficult job and you are already right into winter.

The link that Big Mike gave you looks to be just what you need; they advertise that they really know the older models. I would have them take the tractor with the Haban blade together and just tell them to make it work. It will come back all done and ready to work.

I admire your heart, but I think this is more of a job than you want to take on. We all have to choose our own battles, but I think this one is worth buying your way out of. For an experienced Cub mechanic this will go quickly enough that it probably won't be that expensive.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

jspicer
First and Last Name: Josh Spicer

Post by jspicer »

The fender pan is the same for the 82 series. The difference is the 982 has a longer frame. As far as the rockshaft, it can be a tough job. Just getting the old one out can be a PITA. Some guys take a sawszall and chop the old one out.
Cubs in the den: 882 Diesel, 1512 Diesel, 1772 SGT Diesel..............I've got a smokin' problem

dang
First and Last Name: Dan Glover

Post by dang »

ksanders wrote:I just had the dubious honor of this job myself when mine snapped while plowing. Take the tunnel cover off, you'll see where it attaches to the lift cylinder along the right of the frame. Unhook all of that. Fenders come off easy enough. You'll see one or two shear pins in the rockshaft that come out. A good punch is welcomed because they need some good licks to come loose. After all this struggle you have to get the inner shaft loose from the outer deck lift parts you drove the pins out of. I scrape all the paint off the shaft and soak it with oil. Depending on where it broke you might be able to weld it. I welded mine far better than factory and all is good now. Total job for me maybe 1.5-2.0 hours including welding it.
If it's a ccc 982 I beleive there's a bit different outer deck lift part but same concept. Been a while since I've messed with one of those though.
Just out of curiosity did you have a Cross Support Strap installed when yours snapped ? I think it is a weak link/ bad design on Supers. I'm always nervous when plowing with mine.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Dan,
Didn't even know the brace existed until I snapped it, saw it was only tack-welded on the outside a bit, and someone on the forum here mentioned there was a brace. I was lucky and it didn't twist the rod, just snapped the end off at the weld. I have used it quite a bit since then and it hasn't been an issue but doesn't mean it can't break again. If I actually needed the tractor for real work I'd probably go with the brace.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Tom, Dave
Luv ya both...great advice. I think the best advice is..choose your battles.
I actually had her up for sale last week, with all attachments for $2500. :-o

I couldn't stand the thought of her sitting there un used..she was made to work and she is my powerhouse..When I really thought about it I could not part with her :dontknow:
I have a Cub Dealer about 3 miles from here, they delivered my LTX1042
I will check out the link posted, see what they offer.
In the meantime , I did order chains and an MTD plow blade for my 1042,
Put the chains on and assembled and installed the plow last week.

Had about 3" of powdery snow , and had no trouble clearing the whole ,long lane. Got an additional 3" of heavier wetter snow last night, so we shall see how that goes today.I will probably have to attach the weights.
Of course I would rather use Thelma Lou...
Over the summer I was so busy , and my grand nephew spent a lot of time here.Can't get a lot done with Peewee here.When I did have time, I was remodeling my kitchen, tore my gazebo down tore my back porch off, and built a small ground level deck.Yes, I am a Jill of all trades, mistress of none.. :beer:
So, that suffices as a good excuse for not working on 982...

So I do have another question.Do they make a cab/ windshield for the 1042?
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Did not use weights, and it plowed like a dream! 1 pass up along one side, 1 back down the other..cleared it away...plus the crap from the county plows at the end of my drive, and of course cleared away in front of mailbox.almost made me wish I had a longer lane..that is some good fun! :D
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Good to hear the 1042 worked so well! Sorry I know nothing about them to say what options r available or not. If anyone knows snow......its you, and u know snow is the enemy and when u need it cleared u need it cleared! Even though the snow removal went very well today I would not give up on the 982( Thelma sue or someone)too quick. In the heat of battle u never know when reinforcements will b needed or the front line gets tired. U could do like a lot of guys here and use your new toy with the blade and install that 450 blower on Ms 982. That way u r ready for whatever the enemy lays down.lol Dave

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

I agree with getting the thrower/ blower on.I have not given up on
THELMA LOU. .(.jeez Dave, ya gettin old or what? They say the memory is the 2nd thing to go. :?: :lol: )
I did call on that link for service/ repair.They are about 31 miles from here
I am calling my Cub Dealer , but I need to clear the lane down to the pole bldg so they can get to the 982, unless I can drive her out.
Colder than a BrassMonkeys' ..uh.. feet. :o out here the next few days, but no more snow forecast this week.
Anyhow..I will get her to the doctor for surgery and let ya know how it goes.
Thanks again, ...and again...and again..for the advice.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Fellas..just asking here..would a 782 Rock Shaft assembly fit my 982?
Repair is less expensive If I supply the correct parts.One forsale ,used on ebay for about 40 bucks..just asking.

;)
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Not the same rockshaft

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Thanks..
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Tom Scott wrote:Danni - Good to hear back from you. I think Dave is right on with his advice. The rockshaft can be a difficult job and you are already right into winter.

The link that Big Mike gave you looks to be just what you need; they advertise that they really know the older models. I would have them take the tractor with the Haban blade together and just tell them to make it work. It will come back all done and ready to work.

I admire your heart, but I think this is more of a job than you want to take on. We all have to choose our own battles, but I think this one is worth buying your way out of. For an experienced Cub mechanic this will go quickly enough that it probably won't be that expensive.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Tom, I finally had the dealer come get her.$91.00 in parts and $420.00 in labor later, got her back, plow attached and working fine.They said the pins and rockshaft, hydraulics, etc. Were good. They said the lift tube was too LONG, and replaced it with a shorter one, they also removed that adjustment bolt in the front lower frame assembly of the blade.
Plowed sunday, snow still falling, just getting snow off and pushed back to make way for new snowfall.Monday went out and was finishing up..hit something very hard and very immovable.Faceplant into the windshield..drove her back to the house to clean up the blood..after 1/2 hr., bleeding stopped, went back out to finish, on the last trip up, clearing back the narrow areas, blam!! Hit the same hard immovable object..this timethe faceplant broke mynose, but good.I couldnt even drive her back to the house this time..it hurt like hell.Took the day off, ice and ibuprofin, no needfor theDr., nose was so swollen .
To make a long story longer, bridgepin and washer were off and lift tube was on the ground at that point.and pin/ washer no where in sight..Backed it slowly up to the garage, reattached lift tube..only 1" lift...I checked the spirol pins, all ok, rockshaft was operating as it should ...
QUESTION..should I reinstall the adjustable bolt? I am out $520.00 already.
Thanks again...
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

Oh man that sucks. glad you didnt get knocked out. is your blade set to trip ? the blade should trip(fold over) when you hit something.
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Holy Cow Danni! .......i would ask for some pics but.......i get squeamish at the sight of blood, so please no pics! :lol: Holy cow...... crazy lady on a snow plow comin through! sounds like u better slow down and remove two of the four trip springs at the front of the blade.
Ok....post some pics of what broke this time, but......Seriously ...NO NOSES! :oops: Dave

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

pattonacres wrote:Oh man that sucks. glad you didnt get knocked out. is your blade set to trip ? the blade should trip(fold over) when you hit something.
No, my blade has never folded over upon impact, I really wasnt going that fast, just enough speed to push that wet snow outa the way.

Dave, I DO have pics of my poor old broken face, but no bloody ones.
I was even making creepy faces in my selfies...lol.
As far as the tractor, I don't see anything broken really.The only things I noticed was the lift tube had popped off, and that adjusting bolt had not been replaced at the mechanics shop.Today I noticed a couple of bolts missing from the bracket that actually attaches to the front of the tractor that should have been there. He put one on so loose I don't know how it holds anything, and neglected to even attach the one on the other side...I will get some pics posted,as Alas! much as I love to chat, a picture DOES say a thousand words.
I am having to restrain myself from posting the dreaded NOSE pics..... :lol:
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Oh go ahead and post them. I'm a medic so I know I have seen worse.... :o
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."