Wide Turn

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Wide Turn

Post by Jlaws »

With the wifes illness I've had to take a leave of absents from work to take care of her .
When I'm not caring for her needs I browse the internet , usually ebay or craigslist looking at cub cadet related stuff .
Well , a while back I did an internet search for Bargman or Reflect-o-lite 378 series lights using the numbers embossed on the lenses .
These lenses are used in the 1X9 and Quiteline series cub cadets and are NLA and hard to find .

When I used the numbers in a search , this NOS semi trailer wide turn signal came up with the numbers on the lenses used in the description .
Although the picture in the ad wasn't the best , the price was decent so I took a chance and purchased it .
It arrived today and 3 of the lenses are Bargman and 2 are Reflect-o-lite .
I thought the lenses were inside a clear plastic cover and that the black lettering and arrow were stenciled on the clear cover , but I was wrong .

The actual lenses were painted and glued into the front cover , which made them hard to remove without damaging .
After I finally got them out , I then had to find a solvent that would remove the paint without damaging the lenses .

I've used Butyl Carbitol or Butyl Ether ( dry cleaning solutions ) in the past to remove paint on plastic without damaging the plastic .
I usually brush it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then take a soft cloth to rub the softened paint off . I also use a tooth brush to clean paint from around the embossed lettering on the lenses .

I still have a bit of cleaning and polishing to do yet .

It was more work than I planned on but so far I think they turned out pretty well .
Attachments
Wide turn 001.JPG
Wide turn 001.JPG (865.79 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Wide turn 002.JPG
Wide turn 002.JPG (820.98 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Wide turn 005.JPG
Wide turn 005.JPG (807.58 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Last edited by Jlaws on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

sacky07
First and Last Name: Dustin Sacksteder

Re: Wide Turn

Post by sacky07 »

Nice! about 5 years ago I googled the part number and found some at an online trailer supply for $7 a pair. Kicking myself the past couple years for not getting them, especially with me being a WF man!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Jess......the road to recovery for addiction is to first admit u have a problem. I see u have a QL tail light addiction, first tiring to paint orange ones red.....then trying to remove paint with dry cleaning fluid. :lol: How did the orange ones ever turn out? Looks like u had a good find with this turn sign! If my 1450 was not in pieces i would surly install sacrificial taillights in place of the good ones, that would save me from needing to put a caution tape perimeter around the tractor in the garage.lol Looks good! Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Dave , yes I have a problem and your not kidding about having the perimeter tape around the back . When I first got my non running 1450 my son and I were pushing it onto the trailer when my son leaned against and broke one of the tail lights . :o

Needless to say I wasn't happy , and he looked at me funny , with the , Its just a tail light look .

When I made the 1450 into my loader tractor , I removed the taillights and replaced them with reflectors . :lol:

I haven't tried the red tint paint on the amber lenses yet , I'll probably wait till spring after the weather gets warmer . I've got 10 new amber lenses and one has a hairline crack in it ( pictured below ), so it'll be the guinea pig for red paint .

The reason I've got the amber ones is they were mixed with some of the red ones that I've purchased .
I really need to start selling some of the amber and red ones on ebay .
Attachments
QL lights 002.JPG
QL lights 002.JPG (739.94 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .