Cub 129

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
planejeff
First and Last Name: Jeff McDonald

Cub 129

Post by planejeff »

Hello all I'm Jeff!
I am new to the site! I have restored a few Farmall tractors. I am going to try restoring a Cub cadet 129. It had belonged to my Uncle. What I have noticed looking over the old cub "SO FAR". Three flat tires, missing starter/generator, motor locked up, carb is locked also, gear shift doesn't move, seat has seen better days. Just put it in the barn after years of being in the woods. Will update and take pictures of restoring it. I will be on this site a lot for help! Thanks!

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Re: Cub 129

Post by PTWannaHave »

Welcome Jeff!

Sounds like you have a project on your hands!

Shop around; who know; you might find a 129 in better shape than yours, and use your for parts. I do however understand the family tie in wanting that particular 129 up and running.

Most everyone here enjoys a pictorial history!

Cheers,
PTWannaHave

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Jeff welcome to the site .

I share Ben's comment on you starting quite an extensive project . Though I find it quite enjoyable taking an old non running cub cadet , getting them running and putting them back into service .

You mentioned the words ( gear shift ) , did you mean hydro handle since the 129 is a hydro ? If it has a gear shift then it would have to be a 128 ?
Just wondering

The 129 is a pretty common cub to find parts for .
I've owned a few in the past , and I had one 128 that I finished parting because it was mostly in pieces to start with , had broken shifter , broken gears in the rearend and the motor was in a box in pieces . The tractor was also missing quite a few other parts . Takes a lot for me to part one .... :mrgreen:

If you need any parts or have any questions , ask away , you've joined a great group of fella's that have a wealth of knowledge .

Also Ditto on the pictures as we have members that can't read , but like looking at pictures . :lol:

We also have a few cub cadet parts vendors that will help you with parts if you need them , just post your parts needs in the Wantin and Lookin section .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Look forward to seeing this project! Welcome Jeff! U say u pulled it out of the woods......maybe i dont want to see this.lol Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

It is a hydro 129. I'm going to start disassembling it piece by piece. What I will do first is disconnect the engine from the transmission. I hope to find the motor is free.
It did come out of the woods it had moss growing on the hood! I need to make it into a rolling stone once again! ;)

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

My son Jack doing a walk around! He told me it has a flat tire!!
Attachments
Jack doing a walk around!
Jack doing a walk around!
cub.jpg (264.23 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

That's not that bad of looking cub , I've dragged home a lot worse .... :lol:
When you said it had been sitting in the woods , I figured it be covered in moss and rust . :D
I see a father and son project in your future . Get them started early I say ... :mrgreen:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

Update**
I cut the belt from the mower deck. The engine is loose!! :D. Poured some oil in the spark plug hole and oil ran out of the exhaust! I am hoping that it good news!
More updates to come!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Jeff - Glad you're project is moving forward. As this is the "Welcome Mat" area of the forum, I am going to move your post to "Cub Cadets and Shooting the Breeze" where we would generally have the normal IH tractor topics. That way you can just keep this topic continuing.

I will move after you respond to this or my PM so you don't think your topic has disappeared.

So, welcome, and keep updating us with your progress!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

Another update! Found the carb frozen. After a week in a bucket of oil for a week it is free!

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Good luck. Welcome! These old tractors last 5x long re than any plastic junk we have.
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

It is made of IRON! It out weight a smart car I bet! I tried to push the cub like I did the other lawn tractor! I couldn't!
I am going to see if the starter/ generator works this weekend if I got some time!

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

Been a while since I posted. Update on the 129 is not good. I took off the drain plug and nothing but water came out. :( I think it was just in the drain pan. Since the engine was free.
So my question is what would you do?

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Jeff - This is why it is good to not tear the whole tractor down yet, treat it like a worker first and see what is really wrong.

I would start by filling it with a lighter weight oil (like 10W-30). Pull the spark plug and put a few tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in. Crank it with the starter with the plug out for 20 seconds at a time. Dump the crankcase oil.

Fill with proper straight 30. I like Valvoline VR1 racing oil, still has high levels of zinc (ZDDP). Kohler Magnum straight 30 would be another good choice with proper zinc levels. My opinion, stay away from oil additives, just buy oil with the right stuff to begin with. No telling how additives will work in any given oil.

Ok, sorry for straying, I run the risk of creating an oil thread...

Check all the usual stuff, points, carb, etc. Try to only buy ethanol free gas if available to you. I also believe in adding MMO to every can of gas I buy, good for providing some lubrication to fuel system and valves.

Then... go for it. Try to start it, you have nothing to lose! If it runs, nice to have a tach handy and make sure you have correct governed high idle (3600 rpm). I would run at high idle for about 15 minutes, shut it down and change the oil. Good idea to make sure the hydro fluid is decent before starting as you don't want to be pumping water around in the hydro.

Very common for water to be in the hydro, so best to change the fluid and filter before running at all. Even a few minutes with water laden hydro fluid is bad. I would pull the hydro cover after those first 15 minutes, scrape out any goop, and refill. After some real working time (maybe 10 hours) change the filter again. Might have to change the fluid a third time at this point unless it looks real clean. Fluid is cheaper than hydro parts and the pain of rebuilding.

Let us know. I love getting stuff running that was left for dead!
:beer:
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Like Tom said...u have nothing to lose by going for it. The only thing i might do different would b to probably remove the drive-shaft (if not too hard) before i try to start. The Hy tran change can get pricey for a tractor that may or may not run. If it runs.....then u could move to the back. This would also help u isolate noises, knocks, and whines ....cause any noise would then b coming from the engine and not the trans. IDK just thinking. My drive-shaft idea may b easier said than done :lol: Good Luck. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave does have a good idea. The key to good troubleshooting is isolating problems, divide and conquer. I was only thinking that if you are set on resurrecting this tractor no matter what, you will have to bite the bullet on repeated hydro fluid change at some point anyway.

If you don't want to deal with the hydro now, disconnect driveshaft as Dave says. If you know you will follow this through even if it needs a new engine, might as well freshen up the hydro now. Either way will work.

Report back, we love following these types of resurrection threads!
<><

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

Looks like a little redneck engineering going on with the electrical system. So going to have to get the wiring straight before starting the engine. I got the serial number 2050046U521631 from the tractor to make the part search a little easier. I will keep you informed.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Get it running first. Get all the bugs worked out then tear it all down and paint it. Or like me just run them and my kids hit enough things and the rust will fall off!

Lmao! Welcome to the site
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

planejeff

Post by planejeff »

Just a few questions now!
I now know the starter generator is working! After watching a youtube video on how to op ck it.
The coil is missing so I assume it is a 12 volt coil?
The starter generator is a 12 volt system but needs a voltage regulator since it is not built in correct?
Is there a way to verify that the voltage regulator is working? It looking like the original or 20 years in the woods does that to them!
Solenoid switch looks like a mud dauber made it a home! I am not sure if it works been 20 years!
So far looks like a generator belt, transmission fan, coil, and plug only things on the shopping list right now!