starter/ generator

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
planejeff
First and Last Name: Jeff McDonald

starter/ generator

Post by planejeff »

Is there a way to test a starter/generator? Is it the same as a regular starter?
Thanks

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: starter/ generator

Post by SWilliams »

Most conventional starters are really 6 volt motors designed for intermittent use. The starter generator is a 12 volt motor that becomes a generator once you start spinning it faster.
There are two books in the manuals section on this site that will show you the testing adjusting and repair of the delco units.
downloads.php?cat=15

You want the Delco-Remy S/G manual and the IH testing and servicing book. The hardest part of working on them is usually finding the correct parts. NAPA and a good auto electric rebuild shop can usually get you those.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

I just thought I would piggy back a question on this thread. I had to move the 127 this afternoon to install my new front tires. It had not been run in about 6 mths. I install a battery and turn the key.....it sounds normal. It didn't start right away so I let go of the key.....but the starter did not stop. I kinda paniced and stopped the starter with my work boot. I let go and it was still in gauged. :o so after about a min of this craziness I turned the key to start again and it fired off. What do u guys think was the problem. I just in visioned something starting to burn up or melt wires. Works fine now. Thanks Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Contacts in the voltage regulator are sticking closed .....BTDT . You might try some contact cleaner if it does it again .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Jess! If it does it again I will have to use the other boot as my right one has a groove worn in the side of the sole. :lol: Then I will try contact cleaner!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.