125 Front Axle and PTO questions

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
itsbconnor
First and Last Name: Brian Connor

125 Front Axle and PTO questions

Post by itsbconnor »

Okay, I am finally making some serious dis-assembly progress on my 125. But I can't figure out how to get the front control arm or axle or whatever you want to call it off. Basically I need to remove #1 so I can get # 2 off in the picture below. It seems like a roll pin but I tapped away at it for a little bit and it didn't budge. I am wondering if there is a trick or if I just have to use more muscle?

The next picture is my PTO, when I got this last year, there was no bearing or button, just straight metal on metal baby! :shock: Is this repairable or am I looking at a new PTO? I don't know what it should look like as this is my first tractor! They said it worked but when I got it it had the plow on it, so I don't really know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
2015-06-05 16_50_44-Cub Cadet 125 - Cub Cadet Garden Tractor Front Axle & Connections Diagram and Pa.jpg
2015-06-05 16_50_44-Cub Cadet 125 - Cub Cadet Garden Tractor Front Axle & Connections Diagram and Pa.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
20150604_224352.jpeg
20150604_224352.jpeg (908.75 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
20150604_224345.jpeg
20150604_224345.jpeg (986.64 KiB) Viewed 3535 times

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Re: 125 Front Axle and PTO questions

Post by Paulf »

Brian, #1 can be a real pain to get out. Yes, there is supposed to be a roll pin that holds it in place but it often gets sheared off and #1 is rusted into #2. I'd jack up the front end and rock the axle back and forth and see if #1 stays stationary or rocks with the axle (#2). If it stays stationary, you'll have to drive out the roll pin. If it rocks with the axle, the roll pin is sheared and it's a matter of driving #1 out -- which can be hard to do.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think your PTO is easily rebuild-able. You should be able to purchase a new center button and you'll be good to go. You'll have to remove and completely disassemble the PTO to replace the button but it shouldn't be too expensive of a proposition.

Hope this helps.

keiths
First and Last Name: Keith Stroud

Post by keiths »

You have to take the PTO off to replace that "button". You have three set(s) of set screws holding it on and each hole has two set screws in it. When you take it off then you can loosen the screws and drop in the new button. Make sure you put a good penetrating oil on them and let them soak overnight, mine were a real pain to get out. Here is a picture of a good button, which it looks like is still available. While you have it apart check out the bearing also.
kPtoButton.jpg
kPtoButton.jpg (365.56 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
I took one out one of those axle pins a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if I knocked it out or pressed it out.
105, 124, 149, 2086, 2182

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Brian, here's the link to an article I wrote on removing the front PTO. As was pointed out, be sure and soak those screws that hold it on.

http://www.cubcadetman.com/cc/how-tos/2 ... et-pulley/

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Brian, roll pins can b tricky..... I have had my share of frustrations. Soaking is a must and then soak some more. If u don't have a set of roll pin punches u Must get a set! Most times (if u can fit it) a small sledge is more persuasive than a regular hammer. Even just a bump w a sledge I feel is better than a big hit w a hammer..... And more controled :shock: I have had some that start to mushroom on the end. That's when u stop and try the other end or dremel it off flush and start over. Good luck and keep us posted. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

itsbconnor
First and Last Name: Brian Connor

Post by itsbconnor »

Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated!

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

Let it soak overnight with some PBlaster or Kroil and sometimes just a little heat to get it moving.