Another 582 follows me home

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Another 582 follows me home

Post by Jlaws »

I've got a problem with red 582's , I can seem to turn one down...... :lol:
They have to be my favorite IH gear drive and I have a hard time passing one up when I see them for sale cheap .
This would be a parts machine for most people , but I figure that since these are getting harder to find I better grab this one before someone turned it into a puller .

The good : 670808 makes it a fairly early IH 582 , fenders , hood and the frame all look straight and shifter feels solid thru all the gears . dash plastic panel is in good shape and wiring harness is in great condition , grill and headlight panel are also in good condition. . All 4 tires hold air and are in good condition . The 44C deck is in decent salvageable condition .

The bad : no side panels , broken steering wheel , engine is missing sheet metal and it appears that the 16 HP opposed twin Briggs is locked up . Its also missing fuel tank , hood bird and headlight screen IH emblem . Seat is also shot . Luckily all the missing parts I've got on a shelf .

I've owned somewhere around 8 to 10 of these 582's over the years and I've used a 582 to mow my yard for years without issues , but for some reason the Briggs engine appears to be the weak link . I don't know if owners run them low on oil or if their yards are to hilly and stave the crank of oil , but I've had several over the years that were either locked up or had broken piston rods , or the rods were hammering when I brought them home . This makes about the 4th one I've purchased with missing engine head tin . :dontknow:

This one was about 15 minutes from my house and on the trip back home from picking it up I spotted a 1X9 or QL series cub sitting in the weeds that I'm going to have to go back and find out if that owner want to sell it . It looked like it hadn't been used in years from the amount of weeds growing around it . :p

Anyway here's a few pictures of my CL find and the rear ag's are worth what I paid for it and the mower deck .:D
Attachments
another IH 582 001.JPG
another IH 582 001.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3473 times
another IH 582 003.JPG
another IH 582 003.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3473 times
another IH 582 002.JPG
another IH 582 002.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3473 times
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Re: Another 582 follows me home

Post by l palma »

Nice find Jess,the few I had,one came from a guy whose lawn was hilly and also on a slight decline,of course it smoked and knocked.It had over 1000 hrs on it.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yea nice parts machine or foundation for a project. I have heard early "c" decks had no front wheels. Those old machines and mower deck would rust to a "patina" That newer replacement c deck i found just rusted though. Piece of crap with powder coat!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Jess, Are you in the market for another engine?

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Vince , I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now....I have to inspect the engine in the 582 first .
I've got 3 or 4 rebuildable 582 Briggs opposed twin engines sitting around , which includes a couple of ones that run but are heavy smokers needing rings .....

I've also got a good running 20 h.p. magnum sitting on the shelf , I've thought about putting a Mag in a 582 for a while but haven't done it yet . I probably should save that one for the next 982 roller I come across .

I've also got a couple of KT-17's and a couple of Mag 18's that are in pieces waiting for me to rebuild .

Hummmm.....Decisions , decisions .....
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Jess where do you find all this stuff at!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Vince , all I can say is my area , or most of Kentucky for that matter is a target rich environment .

I live literally 3 miles from an old IH cub cadet dealership . It still sells cub cadets , mostly zero turns stuff , but its still a cub dealer . The 582 I just found is from a different IH dealer and has a IH dealer sticker from the next county over and is the 3rd or 4th one from that dealer that I have bought . I know of 3 old IH cub cadet dealer within 20 miles of my house and one I previously mentioned is still selling cub cadets today .

Working for the railroad has also helped as I can see what old non running cubs people park in their back yards .
I stopped one time and asked a guy if his old cub in the back yard behind his garage was for sale and he got this weird look on his face and asked how I knew he had a old cub , ( it couldn't be seen from the road ) . I pointed to the railroad tracks running across the back of his property and told him I worked for the railroad .....LOL

I do on occasion cross the river to poach a few in Ohio , as I'm only about 12 miles from Ohio ......LOL

I've got all the different model cubs that I want to own that are on my bucket list , but a few attachments have eluded me . Number 1 on the list is a tiller .....I've seen very few of those around here for some reason .

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

I finally tore into the Briggs engine and discovered why it was locked up .
I originally thought it was a rod locked up on the crank , but discovered it was a piston stuck in the bore ( frozen rings ) . I pulled the oil pan off and drove the stuck piston out with a hammer and block of wood . I then examined the rod and the cylinder and both have little wear with no ring grove at the top of the cylinder . The crank has a mirror finish on it and the rods look perfect .
I'm thinking , cool now all I have to do is free up the rings on that one piston and I'm good to go . That was until I broke the top ring trying to free it . :(
Second compression ring is still stuck ..... :evil:

So now I'm going to crosshatch both bores and re-ring both pistons , and also do a valve job while I have it apart .

I'll also disassemble and rebuild the carb and will do a general cleanup of the whole engine .
Hopefully I can get it running without sinking my life savings into it..... :lol:
Attachments
oops 001.JPG
oops 001.JPG (725.4 KiB) Viewed 3409 times