1720 charging problem

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Ralph140
First and Last Name: Ralph Berthon

1720 charging problem

Post by Ralph140 »

I have a 1720 that is not charging. I changed out the rectifier but no luck. I tested the stator, across the two AC posts and it read 34VAC. I am at a loss as to why it is not working. It runs, starts, but is not charging, it only reads 2.4VDC on the B terminal while running. Amp meter shows a 0 charge when running, and significant discharge if I run the lights or PTO. Should there be a reading equivalent to the battery (12.4 VDC) on B terminal of the rectifier with the ignition off? Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. It is probably something embarrassingly simple.
I came across an old post that was a detailed description of how to troubleshoot the stator/rotor/rectifier system by Mr Steel for a Quiet Line models with Kohler AQS engines. Are the trouble shooting steps the same for a 1720 SN #132714 with a Kohler magnum 17?
Thanks again.