Introduce myself and my 1282

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
BrianSchmidt
First and Last Name: Brian Schmidt

Introduce myself and my 1282

Post by BrianSchmidt »

Hello guys,

Me and my Cadet are new to this site. I have been into Farmall tractors for over 20 years now. I have 26 currently that range from and F-20 through a SMTA. I have 4 red Cubs. Two of which are Lo-Boys.

I just picked up this tractor and snow blower last weekend at Cubarama in MO. It doesn't run now as it has motor issues. The PO had rebuilt it several times and it kept having crank/con rod issues. I duno if he was putting it together wrong or if there is truly something wrong with the assemble. I will be tearing into it soon to find out whats going on. I have been tossing around a repower to something different. Will see what I get into when it comes apart.

I have a service and parts manual now. But I am sure there will be questions as I go. I did pull the tunnel cover off and the pump is not ported. I would like to add a hydraulic lift at some point. So I will likely need to replace the pump unless the ports can be drilled into the existing pump.

Just wanted to introduce us a bit and say hi. Looking forward to learning more from you guys.

Regards,
Brian Schmidt
Janesville, IA

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Introduce myself and my 1282

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Brian! I really like the bigger cubs....154, 184. I was close to getting one for mowing.....but I felt the hydro trans was more important than the big tires. So that's what got me my 2072. I wonder if the PO was pulling with it and that is why it was rebuilt several times. When I see exhaust "stacks"....it makes me suspicious. Lol Have fun! Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BrianSchmidt

Post by BrianSchmidt »

Well, I kinda knew the PO. I know he never pulled with it. He used it to mow his city lawn. It came with a mower deck, which I sold to recoup some of the money spent on the tractor. I just wanted a snow blower tractor. I mow the farm with a '57 Cub that has a 5' Woods deck in it. He said he put that Cub muffler on it because the "expensive" under hood muffler rusted out and he didn't want to spend the money to replace it. I kind of like the stack and will probably keep it. If I were mowing with it, it would have to go. Getting that under trees would be murder.

I have a theory he was putting the connecting rod in backwards. The crank pin would then get little to no oil. I also wonder about which dipper rod he used. Long or short. Time will tell when I get into it.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yes the stack does look cool! I guess it's a slip joint.....so u can open the hood? Your thoughts on the crank and rod sound good. Keep us up to date when u get into it. If that blower is factory paint.....its almost too nice to use! :lol: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Hi, Brian!

Nice to see that you decided to join! You will find a lot of good info here. Always remember, we love pictures.

I got to speak with Brian, and see that sharp little 1282 in person. Nice original machine, and the snow blower...it is like going back in time 30 some years, and bringing one back with you.

BrianSchmidt

Post by BrianSchmidt »

Thanks for the direction to get here Vinny.

Yea, I checked the pump as you suggested. No such luck with it being ported. :( Has anyone ever had luck machining in the ports to the pump?

So likely at the next Cubarama, I will be interested in the conversion parts to add the auxiliary hydraulics to help lift the blower.

The good news is my driveway is paved. So the paint won't get all beat up like it would on a gravel drive. But yea, I plan on using this blower. I plan on putting some sort of plastic cutting edge on it to help scrape the drive without wearing out the metal edge and shoes.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

First off welcome!

Second, with ported pumps around for under $100 I don't know if I bother trying to port one myself... or if it's possible?

If the motor ends up needing a lot of machine work I might consider finding a 17hp or 18hp Kohler. If you don't care about originality you'd essentially have a 682 or 782 after hydro lift and a lot more hp to run that blower. When I had a blower my 12hp ran it well but worked hard to do it.

I too want to do the same conversion to my 682 but looking for a parts tractor to make sure I have all the parts. I believe along with the pump and hydro parts the rock shaft must be switched a well.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

BrianSchmidt

Post by BrianSchmidt »

I have been kicking around a repower for my Cadet for a few months. I have been leaning towards the HF 22HP Honda clone as a suitable replacement. I have just struggled with putting in a Chinese engine in this American tractor. Today I found locally a guy selling a 16 HP Kohler Magnum engine. Said to run very well. It was removed from a finish mower that rusted out he said. A carb kit is all it is said to need. We will find out, because that engine is in my shop now. This should be a more suitable engine for my 1282 repower.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Any direction with photos of conversions would be helpful and appreciated.

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Welcome to the fun :!: The boys have given you good advice.
I have a 682 converted to 782 with a 17hp Kohler and am very pleased with it for mowing and pulling a 12'" single bottom, plenty of power. I also picked up a 1282 couple years back and haven't done much with it to date, probably will switch over to hydraulic lift in the future, which does require the rock shaft to be changed as mentioned. The 12 hp single obviously isn't a twin, but it does fine mowing, I have to agree that it would work hard with heavy snow. Wishing you the best with your conversion and I'll be lurking and taking notes for mine.

Again welcome Brian, and keep those photos coming, love the red ones (well and the yellow ones too....)
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

welcome!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson