129 Engine Repair Help Needed

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Re: 129 Engine Repair Help Needed

Post by PTWannaHave »

strap to hold flywheel while torqueing it
strap to hold flywheel while torqueing it
20180209_173534.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4095 times
This might be useful for someone... I found this method to work well to hold the flywheel while I was torqueing it to spec.
PTWannaHave

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

That's exciting!! Great job!! As to the carb....have u used this carburetor before to know that it's ok? Have u gone through the carb to clean it up inside. That's maybe a place to start.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

It sure does! A home made wrench from scrap steel will get the job done too.
DSCN7692.JPG
DSCN7692.JPG (276.2 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
With this one I have to slip on the socket first before bolting it on.
DSCN7694.JPG
DSCN7694.JPG (357.51 KiB) Viewed 4085 times

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

dag1450 wrote:That's exciting!! Great job!! As to the carb....have u used this carburetor before to know that it's ok? Have u gone through the carb to clean it up inside. That's maybe a place to start.
Good point Dave; I should have mentioned that I completely went through the carb, without disassembling the throttle & choke shafts. (I don't think I could've gotten it any cleaner even if I had...) I purchased the tractor in very rough running condition, so the carb was 'working' before I parked and disassembled the machine. I thoroughly disassembled every other carb part and cleaned, and put new fuel bowl gaskets (2) and new fuel bowl needle (since I had one).

I'm guessing the only way to identify this carb as the culprit would be to put another known-to-be-perfect carb... (In my case, that would mean buying a new one.)
PTWannaHave

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

OK; I refilled with fresh oil (SAE30 non-detergent), and played around with it some more... A friend of mine mentioned I should put the air filter on, as some carbs cannot be fine-tuned otherwise. I have a fancy Spectre cone filter for this machine; didn't make a difference.

As you can see in the pic, both clean plugs ended up with a consistent look after about 10-15mins each of varying engine speeds. Seems like a combination of carbon build-up and wetness. Not sure if the latter is fuel, or fuel & oil...
dirty plugs
dirty plugs
20180318_174108.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4078 times
Engine compression is 90psi; what should it be?

If one did not see all the exhaust smoke and only heard the engine, they are likely to think it is a fine-running engine... But alas, the smoke and plugs indicate otherwise. Also, I think I 'lost' 1/4 of a quart of oil...! I'll have to keep a closer eye on that, but it would explain all the smoke...

As previously mentioned, I have new piston rings, which would be a bummer if excessive oil is getting by and being burned... If that is the case, does the 90psi measurement make sense?

No job is simple...!
PTWannaHave

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Ben, new rings need time to seat. The tractor needs to be put under good load and runs hard. The puts plenty of pressure on the rings to let them seat.
A plow day or a wooden pallet loaded and drug around will do just fine.

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

Thanks Big Mike; I will endeavour to do that before doing anything else to try to rectify a problem that might not be a problem...
PTWannaHave

PTWannaHave

Post by PTWannaHave »

20180325_150718.jpg
20180325_150718.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4063 times
'Running under load' to help/try to seat the piston rings... :D
PTWannaHave