New axel seals on the Originals

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wdeturck

New axel seals on the Originals

Post by wdeturck »

I had bad axle on My Original Alice.I took the seal out of the left side and went to my local bearing dealer and he found a match for $4.50 so I bought 6(new on the right). I got them yesterday and they are different than the NOS ones I took out(NOS on the left.
11-13-10 Seals.JPG
The last time I did the seals I had NOS ones and the transmission and wheels were off the frame. I had NOS seals to replace those and I just pulled one wheel off and let the transmission sit on the other wheel. It was easy to get the seals back just tapping with a hammer.
I was just using my hammer on the new seals but it was hard to hit the seal and get it back in with the hammer and the tractor on a jack. I didn't like the way the seal was warping as I drove it back in. If it leaks I will replace it.
11-13-10 Seal instaler off.JPG
I made this tool to install the flimsier seals. It's a 1/2" plate with 2 holes, some 3/8" threaded rod and a couple of nuts and a reducer pipe that is the same size as the seal. The holes are the dimension of the bolts that holds the axle housings on.
11-13-10 Seal instaler.JPG
Here it is installing the seal using a wrench and tapping lightly with the hammer.

If you use the Upload Attachment at the bottom of the page you do not have to re-size them as long as they are on your computer. If you click on the picture and it opens on the next page and click on the "+" you will see that these pictures are bigger than the size allowed. You must follow the instructions to get the picture in the post,

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: New axel seals on the Originals

Post by J Hayes »

I like that idea ! maybe we could have a regular spot for Ideas of tools such as that .
It would be interesting to see what others have come up with to solve problems .

Maybe call it "Tools & Solutions" or "Reinventions With The Same Intentions" .......

er maybe Chumlees' tool box.. ( just joking here ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

William,
Did the old NOS ones have the spring in them to keep the seal tight against the axle???
Your new ones look like they are missing...

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

l palma: The old ones had the spring but since they have backs you can't see the. The new ones have springs.

Don Bellamy
First and Last Name: Don Bellamy

Post by Don Bellamy »

Thanks Geezer for the timely post I have a seal thats been leaking on my Original that needs to be replaced. Can you share the number for the seal ? Did it fix your leak?
My IH's are like family

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

J Hayes wrote:I like that idea ! maybe we could have a regular spot for Ideas of tools such as that .
It would be interesting to see what others have come up with to solve problems .

Maybe call it "Tools & Solutions" or "Reinventions With The Same Intentions" .......

er maybe Chumlees' tool box.. ( just joking here ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim,
You mean like this:
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum ... m.php?f=23
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Don T.: They are SKF 13662 is the wromg number and are Timken 470041 and the oil isn't pouring out like it was. Only drove it around the yard. If we get some warm weather I will pick up the leaves with my sweeper and if we don't have nice weather the wind will blow them away like every other year. I don't have fences to keep them in my yard.

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

I have replaced a bunch of those seals, wish I could find a replacement like the original ones (looks like they had leather inside with a spring). I have always been amazed at the way the "O" axles are held on :geek: I like the fact that you don't have to remove the rear end cover plate to do the job. I recommend new rear axle seals for every CC I work on.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

I thought that SKF box was the axle deals so here is the correct number. I think that number is the Origimal Creeper seal
SKF 13662 is the wrong number and are Timken 470041

Sorry

piecrazy4
First and Last Name: Andrew Columbus

Post by piecrazy4 »

Good idea !