Question about Hydro unloading valves ?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Question about Hydro unloading valves ?

Post by jpackard56 »

I am working on a 1650, currently not running. It has the decal on the side of the transmission cover indicating not to move or tow. It has a hole near that for the lever to release pressure. No lever? Upon removing the tunnel cover, doesn't look like any missing pieces? How can I tell if this has the automatic un-loaders mentioned in my Ken Updike book. Ken indicates that at some point the 1650's changed to the automatic un-loaders.

O.K. y'all can stop rolling around on the floor from laughing at my ignorance. Remember I only have worked on 2 Hydro's one 782 that was converted to a cast rear-end and a modern aluminum rear-end in the MTD. Both were turn key units, drain, wipe, change filter, re-fill, works great !

This one is NOT running, it rolled up the few feet on the trailer to transport here, but now I would like to move it a couple hundred feet to get it inside to work on it. No, I can't get the trailer any closer. :cry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to mess it up. I have a good friend I could call that has worked on many of these, but he just lost his wife this weekend and it doesn't seem appropriate to bother him just now. The other friend I know could help is apparently on the road with work or I have been calling the wrong number?
Thanks,
Jim
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Question about Hydro unloading valves ?

Post by Tom Scott »

Jim, no stupid questions, none of us knew anything until we learned it...

The manual release valves have a button on top in the center for the lever to depress.

The automatic release valves are just flat across the top with a tiny hole in the center. When the release valves are no longer functioning properly, fluid will leak from that hole.

The pic below has the auto release valves. Crappy pic with them way off to the left in the shadow, but it is all I had handy. You can see that they are flat with no button on the top.
1872 rag joint right side.JPG
1872 rag joint right side.JPG (487.52 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Get yourself some plastic wash tubs or anyrhing else you have handy,and put the rear tires in,or on them,lock the brake pedal and Pull it with 782 with a chain,slowly,it will slide along on the grass.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Hey, Lew, good to see you around!

Lew brings up an excellent point; even with either type of valve "unloaded", you don't want to roll too far because the hydro isn't getting "active" lubrication while you are towing without power. If you are going several hundred feet, I think this is the safer way.

Locking the brake and sliding in Rubbermaid tubs is a very good idea, even if you have to go buy a couple of new tubs. They always come in handy later...

Rolling a few feet is fine with the valves unloaded. The fact that it did roll for you probably indicates it has the auto valves, but it is worth looking to see if the buttons are there or not.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Thanks fellas. Turns out it has the automatic unloaders. Got it in the far barn as planned, old pans was a great idea, brakes were kinda rusty so my wife rode while pushing on pedal. Have the engine out (sheet metal was full of MR Mouse and his relatives) Needed to get down to the motor mounts anyway, but somewhat out of sequence. Ray Weaver is sending some mounts and other pieces that are needed. I'm planning the cradle upgrade since its all apart to that level already. My photos don't seem to want to load on here?
Oh well,
Thanks again fellas,
Jim
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

jpackard56 wrote: My photos don't seem to want to load on here?
Most likely images are too large. Change your camera settings to take the smallest images.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find