Speed up pulley for the deck

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
nicky1
First and Last Name: James Nicholson

Speed up pulley for the deck

Post by nicky1 »

I was reading some of the old posts on another site about speeding up the deck to cut better.Some of the commercial zero turn decks really zing.
I have a 44A deck on a 108 Cub. I came across a pulley in my saved junk that is a 4 1/4" over a 4 1/2. The original was a 5" over a 4 1/2. Has anyone used a pulley like this to speed up the blade speed? It looks identical to the Cub pulley and I think it came off a MTD deck of some sort

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Speed up pulley for the deck

Post by ksanders »

I do it on every 44/50" deck I've had. I also install mulching blades which seems to help a little more. It's always been a task for me trying to keep those decks cutting thoroughly while going fast.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

nicky1
First and Last Name: James Nicholson

Post by nicky1 »

Thank you for the input. I am currently rebuilding a 108. I haven't got to the deck yet but was kind of searching ahead. I think I'm going to try the smaller pulley... nothing to lose.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

I am so glad that you started this thread, as the same thoughts had been going through my poor over-taxed head.

I guess I could research all the pulley diameters and do the math; but, does anyone know a close estimate of just how much faster the blades will spin using a 4-1/2" pulley as opposed to the stock 5" ?

Contrary to common belief, rotating assemblies run smoother, quieter, and more efficiently at higher speeds.

Consider a tire that has a separation or twisted/broken belt; the tire usually will level out and run at high speed, yet shake your teeth out at 40-mph.

I have a two-cylinder diesel tractor with a belly-mower and two-speed PTO; 540-RPM and 1000-RPM; everyone warns me not to use the 1000-RPM; however, I have done it problem-free for years; everything about it performs better at 1000-RPM than 540-RPM.

The same goes for bush-hogging; whether little play-around toy tractor or big wheel-horse 4320 turbo John Deere, the bush-hog performs best at the higher PTO speed.

I would like to know more about this pulley-swapping procedure.

Thanks for reading.

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Post by BearKiller »

nicky1 wrote:I was reading some of the old posts on another site about speeding up the deck to cut better.Some of the commercial zero turn decks really zing.
I have a 44A deck on a 108 Cub. I came across a pulley in my saved junk that is a 4 1/4" over a 4 1/2. The original was a 5" over a 4 1/2. Has anyone used a pulley like this to speed up the blade speed? It looks identical to the Cub pulley and I think it came off a MTD deck of some sort
Do you know what the bore diameter is of the 44a deck pulley ?

Thanks.