Building the perfect tractor??

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
oldgreygoose
First and Last Name: Danni Smith

Building the perfect tractor??

Post by oldgreygoose »

Hi fellas..it's me again.
I want to buy a new compact ..with blade, deluxe cab, 2stage snow thrower and mower deck.I need the parts to be relatively easy to attach...such as drive over deck..maybe a quick attach ...it can be a Deere, Kubota, Farmall...I just need your expert advice on which tractor to buy...
The "mechanic" who "fixed" my 982 did not fix it..it was a muddled up, sloppy , indifferent repair.I am keeping her, but not for any real use, other than towing.
Chime in , anyone on what will suit me. :?: :(
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.
Cub Cadet 1966 102 Garden Tractor, and a Green forbidden to mention with lots of attachments.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Building the perfect tractor??

Post by dag1450 »

Hi...me and my boy build perfect tractors all the time. We built one for u. We will work on the cab and snowblower next. Is she about your build? :lol:
Glad we could help!
1302465258m_SPLASH.jpg
1302465258m_SPLASH.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dave looks great but I think it's the wrong color!?!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Joe....can u keep a secret...it was a google image. I did not have the time to build Danni a real tractor. Yellow and white ;)

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Hmm...I would be ok with a JD., Dave, but the operator in your pic is a little stockier and a lot shorter than I...I was looking at JD, and I really liked the options. I could not get a Farmall put together that suited me..that is why I asked for your oh so impressive help.I want a blade, a snowthrower, a nice ( preferably climate controlled ) cab, and a mower deck .I need them to all attach rather easily .I would prefer IH, Farmall, Cub, ..
The JD I was looking at with all of my requirements is on Sale now for around $38,000., at Mutton Power Equipment.

However, I would still appreciate your input.You are so much more knowledgeable about what tractor works with what attachments and the effort and muscle involved , and none of you are shy about speaking your mind..so...still waiting here. :roll:
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.
Cub Cadet 1966 102 Garden Tractor, and a Green forbidden to mention with lots of attachments.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Danni....it was just so easy to mess around w this thread. A few things to think about while buying any tractor really.....new or used. Location location location. Do u have a dealer kinda local for the brand u will buy. For used ..hours r something to look at but maybe more importantly is how it was cared for. Most bigger tractors sit out side there whole life...but if u find one that was kept inside all the better. This can sometimes be seen by surface rust or sun fading. Every brand will have querks and will eventually need to b serviced or worked on. I generally like to buy used equipment and enjoy the hunt and big savings... But for u a new one might b the best idea...or a used from a dealer that will support what u buy. I don't think u can go wrong w the green orange or blue brands. Hope this helps a little. Have fun and post some pics when u get one.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Dave, my friend, I took no offense at your cute post. I under stand and appreciate your humor. I do have dealers close to here.I looked again at the Cub site, they have everything I was looking for,I like the Quick attach, and drive over mower features.I couldn't get a price on anything online , though.
As far as used, I know I need to look at the hours, the storage conditions, and the maintenance.
I think I want to buy new, under warranty .
I also considered repairs on the 982, but I got so burnt on the last one.My now 5 year old great nephew has forbidden me to sell her though, so she will stay in the barn for occasional use. If it's not against the rules, maybe I can attach specs and pics of what I am looking at.
I am coming into a sizable inheritance this Spring, so money is not an issue, but I want to be smart about it, also.
Thanks again for your input, Dave.You know how much I appreciate it.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Danni, If I was in your spot I would be looking at a Kubota.....don't ask me why :lol:

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Thanks, Mike. I have been drooling over a Kubota at the dealer up the road from here.It is a little bigger than I wanted, but Kubota is definitely on my list.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

Danni
I'm not sure if Kubota offers a " deluxe cab for the BX series and I don't know what your needs are. That said I have a BX2660 with a front end loader and a Woods 60" finish mower that I have added a pair of 60" Swisher tow behind mowers to. I also have a home made snow plow for it. I can mow 15 acres in about 6 hours and I plow a 1500' drive way with no problems. I do not have a cab. I've owned it since 2010 and it has been trouble free. This is my second BX the first was a BX2200 also trouble free.
Attachments
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG (568.53 KiB) Viewed 10399 times
Grassinator 2.JPG
Grassinator 2.JPG (77.76 KiB) Viewed 10399 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Uhh....let's back up! Danni..did u say inheritance? Mike..Sam...just back off..she is mine!
Danni my good friend...we go way back. I could make this much easier if I were there in person helping u shop.
Send a plane ticket to my po box and we will have lots of fun shopping. Green orange purple....I don't care... :lol:
Your good old pal Dave. ;)

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

What JD r u looking at...give me a model #. My neighbor got a new deere two years ago, i have not drivin it but it sure looks sweet w the cab and all....probably around 30-40 horse power. I have a Kubota that is about 15 yrs old and it has that dumb hydro "rocker" peddle. Using your heel means u have to hold your leg off the floor. I really dont like that old design. A separate peddle for forward and another for rev (using your toes) is better on the foot for mowing i think. Both r great tractors but i think some of the deeres might be a little more user friendly. There is only one way to find out and that go ask for demonstrations on mower hook up and removal. Now i cleared my schedule....but i have not seen that ticket?

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

stock-photo--an-old-homemade-agricultural-wheel-tractor-57521905_kindlephoto-618085156.jpg
stock-photo--an-old-homemade-agricultural-wheel-tractor-57521905_kindlephoto-618085156.jpg (55.07 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
Dave,. You make me laugh.I have sure missed your humor.
I will get the info on the Deere and upload it. I was looking at CASE today also...WHEW!!! Double what they want for the JD.Like, $78,000.00..
Meantime, I am posting a pic of what you with your frugal ways might advise me to buy.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

;)
Last edited by oldgreygoose on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

can i ask how big your yard is? if your talking 5 plus acres of grass then ok... if your mowing 2-10 acres i would want a zero turn, commercial grade! if you want the ladder cab blower etc. then what your looking at is right... there is no one Perfect tractor, every attachment is time waisted changing from one to the next... I run one cub for every attachment!

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

I mow my 1/2 acre yard, plus 5 acres of meadow.I grade and plow about 3300 feet of curvy wooded lane/driveway.
There are frequently trees down across my lane after big winds, that I have been cutting up with my bowsaw and hooking to my 1042 with a logchain to haul away.
I am looking for muscle, not just a mower.
Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

:lol: yep....thats what they look like when I drag them in! But when they leave....uh..they still look the same :oops:
Not that u need my opinion.. But I will look at that JD. On a side note, I had the R4 tires on a Kubota B model a few years ago and I would advise AGAINST them unless u will b digging in the dirt. They rode horrible for general use. I'm not kidding.
Last edited by dag1450 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Danni, I would also stop at the Stihl dealer and check out a chainsaw.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Mike, I am terrified of chainsaws.I don't know how to use them, and no one here to teach me.

Dave, thanks .
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by oldgreygoose on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...these 3 R series tractors r very nice! Lots of cool electronic features. I used to b very fearful of electronic tractors.... But I think they have proven themselves to me over the past few years.
The auto deck hookup is really nice....I do see needing another person directing u left or right but might b possible with a mirror.
Most people now love hydrostatic transmissions so I would go that route. Although the gear did have a neat forward reverse lever feature.
Danni I don't see u needing the 39. With what u said u take care of the 33 would b more than enough tractor for HP. I'm not sure if the chassis is larger on the 39 but that would b something u could debte w the dealer. A bigger chassis....normally bigger tires, more weight, better the ride, better for snow.... But not always better for mowing. U may need to wait a day or two longer after a rain storm cause u could leave nice tire tracks all over the yard...or worse..get stuck.
Again I would ask about a tire w more of a turf tread as most of your time will b mowing. I had the r4 and mowed 3 acre parcel and I could not walk after 2 hours of bumping around. I lowered the pressure to almost nothing and was still bad. Im not sure what ply they were so that would be something to consider an r4 w a low like 4 ply tire.
I hope some of this helps. Keep u posted

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

all the more reason 2 machines one for mowing one for chores!! my father has a massy with R-4 tires they are fine but he only has a loader/chipper. he also has a zero turn for ME to use on the lawn.... he also has a 100 i maintain for mowing when i can't get over there. Chain saws are getting easier and safer every year. go tot a Sthil dealer they will teach you the how to stuff a small 14/16 bar is good for cleaning stuff that falls. they have the easy start spring thingy too works good!

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Dave, thanks for your time and input.I will keep ya posted .
I thought it was a pretty decent tractor for the money,and if I remember correctly, there was a sorta quick attach thing for the blade or blower.
BTW..when I am ready to dicker with the dealer, I will send your ticket...
Attachments
673d857cad0ddf6f674a1068bb821102.jpg
673d857cad0ddf6f674a1068bb821102.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh boy! I'm good at haggling! I will wear my old clothes, we drive to the dealer in my old car, we will tell them all the points we DONT like about the tractor, let them know what Kubota is offering for rebates, give them the whole nine yards! After all that......they will bring in the manager....he will offer us a soda pop...... And he will say, what will it take to make u sign this deal today Mrs Danni and friend. We will write down a redickulus low number and slide it across the desk. They will counter with $200 off that Deere is offering and throw in an oil change :roll: GOOD LUCK!
On my last new car....I went to battle, faught kicked screamed. They gave me a glass of water and said....we can throw in the floor mats for $100 :oops:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

oldgreygoose wrote:Mike, I am terrified of chainsaws.I don't know how to use them, and no one here to teach me.
Terrified isn't good but it also isn't bad, at least you realize they are dangerous.
I am certain you would be just fine with some training and proper PPE.....which the dealer should offer you.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

I will certainly look into chainsaws, Mike, thanks again.

Dave..sounds like a plan to me! :lol

Found this pic of Dave all dolled up for tractor haggling.... :shock:
Attachments
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (2.82 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I know u mentioned a snow blower. Most bigger tractors mount them on the back. Probably not as fun to use looking backwards.... But much easier to mount and dismount using the three point hitch. Let us know what Deere offers for a blower and blade?

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

Ok , will do, Dave....rear mounted blower??? That means driving in reverse, right?
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

oldgreygoose

Post by oldgreygoose »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :beer:
Last edited by oldgreygoose on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cub Cadet ZForce
commercial zero turn.

Paulf
First and Last Name: Paul E. Funk

Post by Paulf »

Wow, you're paying a lot for that green paint. When my wife and I retired in 2007, we purchased a 1528 Massey (9 speed, 28 hp) with a belly mower. It's been a while and I'm more and more forgetful, but it seems to me that the base price was something like $10,000 less than what you're quoting. We went with the Massey because the dealer is only 10 minutes from where we live. My second choice would've been a Kubota, but that dealer is 45 minutes away. There is a JD dealer about 35 minutes away, but the green paint was just too expensive for me. I've been really pleased with the Massey. The dealer about had a fit when he found out I was moving big round bales with it, but my International 300 was temporarily out of commission. It works great on that, the belly mower, a brush hog, and a 7 ft. sickle bar mower.