Mower deck not coming up to speed

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
wicub127
First and Last Name: Chris Davidson

Mower deck not coming up to speed

Post by wicub127 »

I have a 127 with a 42" deck. The deck does not seem to be coming up to speed, replaced the drive belt from the PTO to the deck, all the pulleys are free and not binding, the PTO clutch seems fine. Out of ideas, I used it to snow blow and it worked fine. The motor is not bogging. Any other ideas?

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Re: Mower deck not coming up to speed

Post by mmzullo »

What makes you think the deck is not coming up to speed. 1st some questions? Have you used the deck before? Is the belt slipping? Is the deck belt tension correct? Do you smell rubber burning? Is the pto getting hot from the clutch slipping? I think if anything was slipping you would smell something burning or smoking. Which deck are you using?

wicub127

Post by wicub127 »

Used the deck many times. It is a 42" rotary mower. Before you could really hear the deck coming up to speed, I can really hear the difference and looking down at the spindles it seems they are not moving very fast. I do not smell anything burning. I am not sure if the belt tension is set correctly, I do know it is tight though. It is a quick attach set up.

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

:dontknow: are the spindle covers off? Take a look at the deck tensioner. It should be spring loaded. If the belts are tight I would think the clutch is slipping. Usually if belts where loose or slipping the belts would burn loose belts would get the deck up to speed but when you go to cut grass they would slip.

Stupid guestion is the engine at full throttle?

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

could u have an older 42 inch deck? seems to me the older ones had a fixed idler pulley you had to set the tension manually. maybe its loose?
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

wicub127

Post by wicub127 »

Adjusted the tension on the mule drive unit for a new belt, replaced the deck belt and all is back to normal. Took me awhile to find the recommended tension. My deck also had the spring loaded tension pulley which was all good. The deck is back to sounding like a jet engine again. Thanks all.