new to the forum

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ad356
First and Last Name: andrew donohue

new to the forum

Post by ad356 »

well im new to the forum but not new to IH tractors. i have owned several IH cub cadets and i currently own a farmall cub and just bought a mechanically good original cub cadet. the cub cadet needs mostly cosmetic work, but i have some deck issues to sort out. its the timed 38" mower deck and the two cogged pullies are shot. i found them on cub cadet specailties but i dont like the price $160 and $195. if i replace those two and the shafts which all have worn key slots im going to be over $400 into a 38" deck. the deck shell has to be one of the nicest around. this thing is beyond solid, little to no rust at all. its nearly as good as new and its 50 years old. i think someone at least kept it clean. does anyone have a line on a good set of pullies, i might try to go to a machine shop and see how much they would charge because that price is almost machine shop price, and i could have them made out of something better.... steel instead of aluminum. i could have something put on there that could last my kids, kids.

as far as my farmall goes, she's in pretty good shape for an old gal. right now she has a danco C3 mower mounted, that's the 60" mower. its a nice setup and mows my lawn in decent time. i have owned the cub 3-1/2 years now and i really have enjoyed owning and running it. what a great tractor. its reliable, fuel efficient, simple, and would outlast nuclear war.

im 35 years old and have always stuck to the old stuff. nothing new is worth anything to me. $1500 for a new lawn tractor, lol. i would rather spend $1,500 in restoring something that will actually last many years.

i mowed the lawn the original cub cadet today, ran great no smoking, no knocking very solid K161. i am actually surprised the power this little thing has, heck its only rated a 7hp... it cuts the deep stuff better then the farmall. of course the 60" mower really works the old C60 quite hard. she does a good job but get it into the really deep grass and she works hard. that little cub cadet doesnt even seem tired. i will post pics of her soon

ad356

Re: new to the forum

Post by ad356 »

Fcub, what a great small tractor love it
Fcub, what a great small tractor love it
DSC00646.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 4465 times
got some work to do mostly cosmetic
got some work to do mostly cosmetic
DSC00644.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4465 times
DSC00643.JPG
DSC00643.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 4465 times
DSC00642.JPG
DSC00642.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4465 times
DSC00641.JPG
DSC00641.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4465 times

ad356

Post by ad356 »

the cub cadet is straight and mostly rust free. typical surface rust. the cub cadet is complete and is a good running tractor for being 50 years old. im not going to have to spend $500 rebuilding the engine anytime soon. mowed my 2 acre lawn with it today, and besides some awful noise coming from the deck bearings and pullies it runs exceptionally well. i might mow with it once a month, the cub will still handle the bulk of the mowing and the cub cadet is going to more of a novelty item, that's not to say i wont mow with it. in order for me to have something it has to earn its keep at least a little. i think im going to rebuild the cub cadet deck use her once in a while, if the farmall goes down for any reason i have a backup.

ad356

Post by ad356 »

i was thinking about headlights. i saw some that were made for the original, expensive. i have also seen repoduction "tear-drop" style like the ones that are on my farmall. you can buy them at $35 a pop. i think they would look just as good on the cub cadet, just paint them white. i think you would have a hard time telling them apart unless you have a trained eye. i like the way they look on the farmall cub.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Andrew, Welcome! I am not aware if someone has already found a better source for the cogged pullies, but you might check McMaster-Carr. If there is something hardware wise that already exists in the world, they are likely to have it. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Post about the pulleys in "Cub Cadets and Shooting the Breeze", you might get a better response.

Again, Welcome aboard!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome! Thanks for all the pics......we love new pictures. Both cubs look sweet! U do know the red cub don't have but a few more horses than the small original. It's crazy how they rate those tractors, they r 4 cylinders of power.....and cuteness. Gotta love em. Have fun reading and posting.
Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ad356

Post by ad356 »

the farmall cub has significantly more actual power then the cub cadet. horsepower is about the most meaningless ruler ever used to measure power there ever was. however, the K161 is only rated at 7 hp and it is surprising how powerful it is for only being 7 hp. an original can mow some awfully deep grass for only being rated at the same hp as a push lawnmower or a pressure washer. while mowing, its also pulling around 500 lbs of small tractor. i know its only a 38 cut deck but its only 7 hp, that's a really small number. the best number, and most often published number for the farmall cub is around 12 hp. show me another 12 hp powered machine that can do what that machine can do. a farmall H, which is quite a powerful tractor is 26 hp. meanwhile if you go to home depot and look at the new junk they are rating those things at almost 30 hp. you mean to tell me that little popcorn popper has more power then a farmall cub? a farmall super-a? a farmall H? yeah right, i also have a bridge made out of gold that i can sell you. the farmall cub is way under-rated. it can drag around a tree (i have used it to do just that when i had a fallen tree), i have used it drag around a non-running car, and i have mowed a lawn that had not been mowed all season.

torque is often times not the published number, but it is indeed the number that matters the most.i think the farmall cub is something like 50 ft/lbs of actual torque. you cannot convince me that a little single cylinder or a twin has actually more power then a 4 cylinder cub engine. usually its a lie. the twins cylinders i am most impressed with they no longer make... onans are beasts, and most of those are only rated at 16,18 or 20 hp. those might have been close to actually having the power as advertised. no modern twin has that kind of power, does not matter what they are rated at. a kohler courage is a joke doesnt matter what it is rated at.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow.... Andrew....lots of info there.
Anyone ever tell u to cut back on your second cup of coffee :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Like your Cubs, thanks for sharing the photos/story :thumbsup:
Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"